Insert Photo to Contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMS

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
I saw in your area the following code for photos. Can we please change it immediately so if I copy a photo from some place online, and I run the code, it puts that photo in the photo of the contact I select or open. That would wonderful as well, as it helps doing it much faster for contacts.

Public Sub UpdateContactPhoto()
Dim myOlApp As outlook.Application
Dim myNamespace As outlook.NameSpace
Dim myContacts As outlook.Items
Dim myItems As outlook.Items
Dim myItem As Object
Set myOlApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
Set myNamespace = myOlApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")
Set myContacts = myNamespace.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderContacts).Items

Dim fs As Object
Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
For Each myItem In myContacts
If (myItem.Class = olContact) Then
Dim myContact As outlook.contactItem
Set myContact = myItem

Dim strPhoto As String

' use myContact.LastNameAndFirstName = "last, first.jpg" format
' replace "C:\photos\" with the correct path.
strPhoto = "C:\Users\Username\Pictures" & myContact.fullname & ".jpg"

' use for testing only, to confirm the path is correct.
' Delete or comment out
' MsgBox (strPhoto)

If fs.FileExists(strPhoto) Then
myContact.AddPicture strPhoto
myContact.Save
End If
End If
Next
End Sub

You'd change the strPhoto line to use the image you found, but you'll need to use windows functions to save the image and inert it. I don't have code samples that do that. I'm on vacation so it will be a few days before i can take a look at it.

Got it. I appreciate you doing it as soon as possible. And in a different code I learned from you, if I paste something from what I copied, it used the words DataObj.GetFromClipboard and strPaste = DataObj.GetText(1) and objItem.UserProperties (name of field) = strPaste......

Any quick thoughts or just wait for the Smart Woman!!

The problem is that (AFAIK) you can't paste a picture, you need to insert an image file, so you can't just copy it, you need to save it. Plus that code works in Office, it may not work with IE or another browser.

Got it...so will wait to here back re the code change.....the easy way would be that copy a picture and save it to a file and the name of the picture is NewName...and then when I run the code re the contact photo, it is the photo from the file and related name NewName....that way when I just do one photo and run the macro it adds to contact...and then I select a different photo for someone else...save as the same name...and run the macro and that photo then goes to the contact I selected opened.....will wait to hear back..

Thanks but that is not helpful. All I want to do is select a photo from different places etc....and then run a macro that inserts that photo to photo of a contact. Now if there is a second code that after I select a photo and copy it, it saves it to a specific folder I identify and just one name, and then run the other macro that inserts the photo based on the folder and name of the photo I saved per the first code. That way, I run the first macro each time re the photo I copy, and it saves as the same name, replacing the other photo, and then I insert to another contact.

There's no way around, as you were already told, you cannot insert directly from the clipboard, the picture must be saved as a file. If you have an issue with file names, you can delete the file after importing it.

I understand ..that's why I would like the first macro that saves the photo to a folder as a file and a name the photo...that way there should be another macro that inserts the photo from a specific folder to the contact.

Perhaps now I understand, too. You're looking for a ready-to-use solution. I'm just here to help you learn how to code yourself.

I understand your thoughts...but she always gives me the code that she knows etc.

I understand your thoughts...but she always gives me the code that she knows etc.

Also, using the code I posted, and what I saw, it can just go to a selected contact using Dim myContacts As Selection and Set myContacts = Application.ActiveExplorer.Selection......so in the strPhoto, can you tell me how I put in the fullname or where it comes from..as do I use the same full name of the contact to the photo name...or can I just use the name of the photo having nothing to do with the name of the contact?

strPhoto points to the file that you want to add to the contact. It must be the file's full name. As far as I know the file can be of any name. The issue you need to solve is to get the picture from the clipboard into the file.
As long as websites are concerned, you could right click the picture, then click "Save picture as" (or similar). If you always use the same location for the file and the same name, you could put that info into strPhoto, and run your code after the file was saved.

Thanks much...I just don't understand what to put in the code re the name of the file so the strPhoto points to the file...let's say the the name of the Photo is "NewPhotoName" ..and the path is "C:\Users\Username\ Pictures" so is the strPhoto means: strPhoto = "C:\Users\Username\ Pictures" & myContact.NewPhotoName & ".jpg" I just don't know what to change in that area of myContact.fullname and what to do there.....

Thanks so much as this could be done right away

Thanks much...I just don't understand what to put in the code re the name of the file so the strPhoto points to the file...let's say the the name of the Photo is "NewPhotoName" ..and the path is "C:\Users\Username\ Pictures" so is the strPhoto means: strPhoto = "C:\Users\Username\ Pictures" & myContact.NewPhotoName & ".jpg" I just don't know what to change in that area of myContact.fullname and what to do there.....

Thanks so much as this could be done right away

Assuming that the file's name has nothing to do with the contacts's name, the value would be:
"C:\Users\Username\Pictures\NewPhotoName.jpg", right?

I just figured out the following and it does it perfectly....as there is no fullname etc...you just put the name of the photo after the word Pictures and it goes to ...thanks much of your time...as if I right click on a photo online and save it, I can just replace of the earlier on to the same name..

strPhoto = "C:\Users\UserName\Pictures\NewPhotoName" & ".jpg"

By the way, I did it before I saw your answer...and the difference is just the .jpg after the name instead of & ".jpg" so will try what you showed to see if it does the same....and thanks so so much!!!

And I just did your line re the jpg and it work perfectly as well.....again, thanks so much as this will be very fast in adding pictures to a contact etc...as you don't have to find the picture when you got to the contact....

And again thanks very very much!!

Status
Not open for further replies.