Status
Not open for further replies.

that

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Requesting help to get my head straight about functions that are not email;
let us consider calendar, contacts, and tasks (CC&T).
We are discussing one standalone computer.
Let us start with the one focussed question applied to the following scenarios :

Scenario 1 : Two IMAP accounts configured in Outlook
Question : Are there separate CC&T for each account?

Scenario 2 : Two POP accounts configured in Outlook

Scenario 3 : Two Exchange accounts configured in Outlook

Scenario 4 : One IMAP account and one POP account and one Exchange account configured in Outlook

#1 & 2. No, not under normal circumstances. You'll have a default set of 'special folders' in the data file that is set as default.

However, if one account's data file is default and you switch to the other, you'll have two sets of CCT folders and each account will use the one in their data file as the default for new appointments or contacts you create while looking at the data file. This gets messy and is not recommended.

#3. Yes. This is because the CCT sync back to the server.

#4. No. As with 1 & 2, you'll have a default - which would be the exchange data file. However... if any of the other data files were set as default, the special folders would be created and outlook will use them when you are working in that data file.

Having one set of CCT folders is much less confusing - I speak from experience with 4 Exchange accounts in my profile (and 4 sets of CCT folders).

> if any of the other data files were set as default, the special folders would be created

Well, that is a cow patty in the path.
(Or it is a technique usable by someone who wants multiples.)

You gave a good answer, and now I know enough to watch my step.

Initially one account, IMAP. One set of special folders.
Inevitably a second set of special folders if an Exhange account is added, just because Exchange always has it.

At time of addition of accounts, is the user prompted to indicate which account is to be the default?

Well, that is a cow patty in the path.
(Or it is a technique usable by someone who wants multiples.)
It's an option for people who really think they need to keep things separate - but its actually pointless for imap accounts as the items don't sync to the server - for Exchange, where they do sync, the folders are there regardless.

If you need to remove the 'this computer only' folders you have two options - after first verifying the folders are empty - delete the ost file and let outlook resync it. As long as its not set as default the folders won't be created. Or use MFCMAPI to delete them.

To delete the folders in a pst that was previously set as default, you need to use MFCMAPI.

At time of addition of accounts, is the user prompted to indicate which account is to be the default?
No, they are not prompted - if there is only one account, it's data file will be default. When you add exchange it always sets itself as default.

Initially one account, IMAP. One set of special folders.
Inevitably a second set of special folders if an Exhange account is added, just because Exchange always has it.
In this scenario, the imap was added first so it will have the special folders. When you added Exchange, it took over as the default data file. This is generally the best configuration since the imap's 'this computer only' folders don't sync and are not backed up. The contents of those folders are lost if anything happens to the data file.

Deleting or renaming the imap data file and restarting outlook will resync the contents without the special folders.

I would recommend you connect with the Microsoft support team they can answer all your doubts with an exact solution.
Regards,
Lewis

I would recommend you connect with the Microsoft support team they can answer all your doubts with an exact solution.
Regards,
Lewis
If the support agent understood the question, they would give the same answer i did. But the "understood the question" is a big IF.

Diane's support is better, because her hands-on is in it.

I went to view some relevant details of the Outlook that was in the background of my desire to know about the behaviors of special folders.
One IMAP, one POP, two Exchange (hotmail and outlook.com).
The special folders that are in use are in the hotmail.
The IMAP is default account as desired, and it lacks special folders, probably deleted long ago. I know that its .ost file was regenerated at least twice in 2019; so, unless the user deleted the folders each time, it behaved as Diane wrote that it would.

Status
Not open for further replies.