Code to open folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoth

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
Is it possible to code a commandbutton to open a folder?

Yes, it would be a windows folder. So far all I have found is opening outlook folders. Could you tell me where I might be able to find example code?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You need to use windows scripting to do it or shell command. This is one way to do it:

Dim x as variant
x = Shell("EXPLORER.EXE C:\My files\", vbNormalFocus)

Thanks this will help

Ok I got the folder to open with the folder path in the code. I then tried creating the path based on textbox values. When it reads the path line I am getting a string error, is there a way to create the path based on textbox value?

You'll need something like this - not sure exactly what the code to get the textbox value will be, but if you use the textbox to set a custom field, this format should work.

dim strPath as string

Dim x as variant

strPath = oObject.UserProperties("customfield")
x = Shell("EXPLORER.EXE" & strpath, vbNormalFocus)

Diane,

This code works

Sub commandbutton2_click()

Set myinspector = Item.GetInspector

Set mypage1 = myinspector.modifiedformpages("p.2")

Dim shellRun

Set shellRun = createobject("wscript.shell")

ShellRun.run "explorer c:\documents and settings\stan\desktop\xp

Set shellRun = nothing

End sub

Taking your suggestion I rewrote to use textbox values, the message box line is just to check that it is combining the textboxes correctly. It works, if you could review and see if there is a better way it would be appreciated. Textbox1 would be the only value that would be entered by the form user, textbox2 is only used as a place holder for the complete path.
Sub commandbutton2_click()

Set myinspector = Item.GetInspector

Set mypage1 = myinspector.modifiedformpages("p.2")

Set textbox1 = mypage1.controls("textbox1")

Set textbox2 = mypage1.controls("textbox2")

Set textbox1 = item.userproperties("textbox1")

Set textbox2 = item.userproperties("textbox2")

Textbox2.value = "c:\documents and settings\stan\desktop\" & textbox1.value

Set strPath = item.userproperties("textbox2")

Msgbox strPath

Dim shellRun

Set shellRun = createobject("wscript.shell")

ShellRun.run "explorer " & strPath

Set shellRun = nothing

End sub

Thanks

You can use windows enviromental variables for default paths.

Dim enviro As String

enviro = CStr(Environ("USERPROFILE"))

strpath = enviro & "\desktop\" & textbox1.value

Thanks for the suggestion, that would reduce code lines and need for place holder. In this case the folder is on the network, was only using my home laptop, desktop to test the code, how would your suggestion look for network a network folder

if the path is the same for all - \\file server\path\path\, you can hardcode it in the macro. You only need a variable with the 'special' windows folders.

strpath ="\\file server\path\path\"

strpath = strpath & textbox1.value

Thank you so much for your help. Your suggestion worked and it is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S HTML Code Embedded in String Within Open Outlook Email Preventing Replace(Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem.HTMLBody From Working Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
N Open & Save VBAProject.Otm using VBA Code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Code for new pane to open webpage Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B How to: Open .MSG File from Hard Drive via Code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P How to get a QR code for automatic signin with Outlook for iOS Using Outlook 5
D Outlook 2021 Using vba code to delete all my spamfolders not only the default one. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
F Color code certain INBOX emails Using Outlook 2
K vba code to auto download email into a specific folder in local hard disk as and when any new email arrives in Inbox/subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Want to create a button on the nav bar (module add-in) to run code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
H Preventing the 'email address fetch from Exchange' crashing email reading code Exchange Server Administration 0
C Code to move mail with certain attachment name? Does Not work Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Aussie Outlook 365 Rule runs manually but returns the error code "an unexpected error has occurred" when incoming mail arrives Using Outlook 1
S Need code to allow defined starting folder and selection from there to drill down Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
D VBA code to select a signature from the signatures list Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
P Color Code or highlight folders in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
N Please advise code received new mail Using Outlook 0
B Outlook 2016 Unable to view images or logos on the outlook 2016 emails the same html code works well when i use outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
S Excel vba code to manage outlook web app Using Outlook 10
S Outlook VBA How to adapt this code for using in a different Mail Inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Add VBA save code Using Outlook 0
C Auto Run VBA Code on new email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Witzker Pls help to change the code for inserting date in Ol contact body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
I Outlook 2003 shows html code when To: field is empty Using Outlook 7
F VBA code to dock Styles whenever I write or edit an email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Skype for business meeting vba code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Expand VBA Permanent Delete Code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
B Outlook Business Contact Manager with SQL to Excel, User Defined Fields in BCM don't sync in SQL. Can I use VBA code to copy 1 field to another? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
A VBA Code in Outlook disappears after first use Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Alex Cotton "invalid or unqualified reference" on code that should work Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
F VBA to ensure a code is entered in Subject title Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Z Outlook Custom Form: Adding Dropdown(Project Code) at the end of subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Any updates or fixes that would make this code stop working just moving emails to another folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M error code 0x8DE00006 Using Outlook 1
R VBA Code to permanently delete selected email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
dyny723 Outlook 2016: Code to link a contact to emails received from that contact Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Command Button code will not execute. Any suggestions Please. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
V VB script code to save a specific email attachment from a given email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 14
J Custom form code doesn't run Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M code to move selected Outlook contacts to another folder Using Outlook 3
E Outlook Form - Voting Responses Not Auto Processing If Form Contains Any Code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Need VBA code to automatically save message outside outlook and add date Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Problem running Command button code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Help with code to move mail on receipt to another folder based on time received Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C Color Code New Calendar Items Using Outlook 2
S VBA Code to move mail items from search folder to inbox subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
B Automation error running VB macro code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
S my vbscript button1_click code works on appointment created but not on opening an existing apntmn Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 16
M regarding the Create Contacts From Messages code Using Outlook 8
J Outlook 2010 VBScript editor does not run code at all Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B VBA Code to create appointment from email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1