Outlook marks all as "Read" issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR Ryan

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
I have been scouring the internet for an answer to this issue for more than a week without luck. I really need an Outlook exchange expert to assist. Here it is:

I recently added some new pop3 accounts to a clients work computers. They have 8 all together, each receiving their own pop3 account (.co.uk domain), as well as some sharing access to a pre-existing exchange account (.org.uk domain). Both the .co.uk and org.uk mail domains are hosted within the same business hosting package through BT. All machines are working fine, recieving the pop3 and shared exchange email accounts without a hitch except one, and it had to be the company MD's didn't it!

Prior to adding in the .co.uk pop accounts, he received the .org.uk exchange mails fine. Now the issue is this, when an email arrives, either automatically or after a manual send and receive, the email is marked as unread (so far so good). If new emails are received, they too are marked unread (great). If he reads them or previews them they are marked read as expected, and he can even set them back to unread if he chooses, but at least he knows which he has seen, and which he hasn't at this point.

Then... at 22 minutes past the hour, every hour, all new emails in his inbox are marked read, regardless of whether they have been read or not, or read and remarked unread, causing my MD great confusion and anxiety as he has no idea which emails he's seen or not seen.

To make matters more complicated, once this mystery hourly update has passed, marking the entire inbox read, if you were to remark mark any email as unread, when the next mystery update occurs, those emails will not be affected. Only the new emails that have been downloaded in the time between updates occur are affected.

Here's what I have done to troubleshoot the problem so far:

• Completely disabled mobile access to email accounts from the two remote devices (iphone and macbook) the MD had set up to receive emails. (ie. no other remote access, although remote read isn't a likely cause as two other machines in the office also receive the same mailbox without messages marked as read or the same behaviour)
  • Disabled and uninstalled all antivirus software on the machine
  • Ran outlook in safemode with all add-ons disabled
  • Rechecked the settings for automatic marking of emails and preview in the reading pane (read setting set to double-click anyway)
  • Disabled all rules (none listed that would result in this behaviour anyway)
I've spoken to one 3rd line outlook support agent at BT already, and they said they'd never seen anything like this before. I haven't either and I've been supporting client PCs for almost 20 years.

It's a challenge! Any takers?

UPDATE:

Ok, so despite having previously ruled out the other devices and remote access as part of the issue by disabling the account access on those devices... it appears that the culprit IS somehow the iphone! The 22 past the hour mystery update was missed when both devices were completely shut off, and when only the iPhone was turned on a few minutes later (29 minutes past) the mystery update immediately ran at 29 minutes past instead of 22, and now reoccurs at 29 minutes.

I disabled all inactive accounts on the phone and ensured all push settings were either off or set to fetch. This didn't change the mystery update. So, no I have deleted all relevant accounts (only icloud and hotmail left), and waiting for the next 29minute's past the hour update. Fingers crossed!

UPDATE 2:
Have added the exchange account in question using all default settings as is to another iphone, and completely powered off the original iphone. Issue remains! Hair, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Outlook 2013 either fails to mark messages as read or marks them as read, then un-marks them. Using Outlook 1
N How to disable shortcuts for Pilcrow in Outlook (Show or hide paragraph marks) Using Outlook 0
J Outlook VBA to send from Non-default Account & Data Files Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P Limited Support for 3rd Party Mail in new Outlook? Using Outlook 1
O Any 3rd party tool that sync (mirror) from Outlook Calendar to Google Calendar? Using Outlook 5
T Outlook is categorizing emails incorrectly Using Outlook 1
R Legacy Outlook on Mac Email Cache Using Outlook 0
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 3
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2019 is no longer asking for password ... Using Outlook 5
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
M Synchronization and backup of Outlook from local to server. Using Outlook 8
T How to get an EVENT COLOR option in Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 0
K How can I delete an e-mail from Outlook Using Outlook 1
V Outlook Error The Attempted operation Failed. An Object Could Not be found Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Yahoo/IMAP folder rename by Outlook desktop 365 Using Outlook 0
A Outlook 2019 folder counter Using Outlook 0
A Relocate Search Bar in Outlook Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Need clarification on 2-Step Verification for Gmail using Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 10
L Opening People Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2021 not letting me setup my Gmail using pop Using Outlook 1
Geldner Problem submitting SPAM using Outlook VBA Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P VBA to add email address to Outlook 365 rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Outlook 2016 outlook vba to look into shared mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Can no longer sync Outlook with iPhone calendar after iPhone update to 17.1.1 Using Outlook 7
O Outlook - Switch from Exchange to IMAP Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is it possible to have a reminder in Outlook 2021 for every 90 days Using Outlook 3
farrissf Outlook 2016 Optimizing Email Searches in Outlook 2016: Seeking Insights on Quick Search vs Advanced Search Features Using Outlook 0
C Advanced search terms for "Outlook Data File" Using Outlook 1
N Reply to Outlook messages by moving messages to a specific Outlook folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O How to find out the domain and server settings that my Outlook is using? Using Outlook 2
A Outlook 365 (OutLook For Mac)Move "On My Computer" Folder Items From Old To New Mac Computer Using Outlook 3
H Integrating Alexa & Outlook Pro 2021 Using Outlook 2
Z Automatically adjust Outlook Reading Pane from bottom to right depending on portrait or landscape window Using Outlook 1