Comma Separated Values.ADR and A file error has occurred in the translator

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofw62

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Tried to import contacts .csv file. Usually this goes well. Have done this quite a few times before.
This time I got errors...
Either:

"A file error has occurred in the translator while trying to establish a field map.
Unexpected error (998) occurred
."

or

"A file error has occurred in the translator while trying to establish a field map.
The file "C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Comma Separated Values.ADR" is locked.
This could be because the disk is locked, the file is read-only, in use by another program,
or because you do not have permission to use a network path
."

I did perform a full repair: Start>Control Panel>Programs and Features>Select Office + change.

Also tried this solution: Outlook shows a Translation Error during the import of a CSV file
"Open the .csv file in another application, such as Microsoft Excel, and then use Save As to save
the contents as a new .csv file. Then, use Outlook to import the new .csv file.
"

As always, to avoid duplicates or partly duplicates I delete all contacts before importing....
Leaves me empty handed now.
I believe there is no way to recall deleted contacts.

Excel export is .csv UTF-8

Windows 10 x64, Office 365, Outlook using Exchange.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

Matter solved!

Exit Outlook, delete the .adr file (or rename it)
Start the import again.

Things went fine!

The same over here on my Dutch PC. I used the comma as a sperater from start on to import in Excel all *.csv files. Until a month a two ago that worked spended and without Excel aking what to do. In the internet I found I was not the only one and to solve it by replace the country settings back into the Dutch ones. Think that an update of Windows changed the "," separator an "." decimal from my Dutch version into an English version.

That's certainly possible.

>>
replace the country settings back into the Dutch ones
<<

This is in Windows Settings, correct, not the excel setting, correct? (For the benefit of someone else who might find this.)

I tried to import a CSV exported from google and yahoo for testing and they failed. I used a different CSV, since it was just for testing contacts. I'll take a look at those CSV and see if its something that should work but windows changed.

@Theo - what Office version do you use? 365? I assume you are importing from an Excel .csv file ?

In my case, when using Excel "File, Save As ... " (CSV UTF-8) or
when using "File Export to .." CSV
No matter what I tried: I always got semi colon separators.

Even though the list separator is set to comma within my Windows 10 (EN)
(Region > Formats > Additional Settings > List separator).

Also note that the Dutch version of Office has field names like the below
Huisadres, plaats = Homeaddress City
Huisadres, straat = Homeaddress Street
etc. there is a comma in the Dutch field name, resulting in issues when mapping fields whilst importing.

I have solved this as follows:
- Change Office Language settings to English (install Language pack for that)
- Use (free) Excel Add-in ASAP
- Use the export function within ASAP

No problem ever since.

To illustrate:

Addresses- test.xlsx 1. Office Lang set to NL, 2. Using "File Export > CSV" - results
First Name;Middle Name;Last Name;Home Street;Home Postal Code;Home City;Home Phone;Mobile Phone;E-mail Address;Notes
First Name;Middle Name;Last Name;Home Street;Home Postal Code;Home City;Home Phone;Mobile Phone;E-mail Address;Notes

Addresses test.xlsx 1. Office Language set to EN, 2. "File Save as CSV UTF-8""- results:

Addresses test.xlsx 1.Office Lang set to NL 2. ASAP Export - Results:
"First Name","Middle Name","Last Name","Home Street","Home Postal Code","Home City","Home Phone","Mobile Phone","E-mail Address","Notes"
"First Name","Middle Name","Last Name","Home Street","Home Postal Code","Home City","Home Phone","Mobile Phone","E-mail Address","Notes"

Just my 2 cents.

Matter solved!

Exit Outlook, delete the .adr file (or rename it)
Start the import again.

Things went fine!
This has saved me. For months I couldn't use the import contact from csv because of these errors. Seemed like it just stopped working for no reason and I gave up hope it would ever get fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.