Synchronize safe persons Outlook 2016 -> Outlook Web Access (OWA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can count in notepad - export the list, turn off word wrap on the format menu, turn on status bar on the view menu. (checked = on) then click anywhere in the last item. the status bar will show the line# and character position of the cursor - character position doesn't matter, just the line #.

line-char.jpg

It says Ln 1173 there. Probably I was unclear, but I meant, I can't count in OWA.
Anyway, a rough check tells me that very likely all entries ex Office 2016 are there, in OWA.
Let's see how things go over time.

=

Attachments

• SnagIt-01062017 163434.png
    SnagIt-01062017 163434.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 409
ah, ok... but all entries should be synced over. if not, blocked lists won't be a problem but safe lists could be - those that are caught by the blocked online list will be moved to junk email as they arrive, ones only in outlook will be moved as outlook downloads. Safe addresses could be marked as spam and moved into the online junk filter before downloading - and junk mail doesn't sync with pop3. (it would with exchange or pop3.)

FWIW, general outlook behavior in exchange is almost identical to pop3, except that everything syncs with the server rather than being downloaded, so it shouldn't take much to get used to it (unlike imap which has some different behaviors and doesn't support all features.) It is worth trying it for 2 weeks - you'll be able to check the junk mail folder for strays more easily.

Last edited:
general outlook behavior in exchange is almost identical to pop3

Obviously this was the very first time I used the Exchange protocol.
Probably, at setup, it does not allow users to actually select the .pst file? (see below)
I don't know...

Have always stayed away from anything else that POP3. Whilst outlook.com is my primary, I am using multiple email accounts (different providers), all POP3. That for many years and without problems. So, there wasn't any real reason to venture out the alternatives.

That aside, out of curiosity, I wonder, if my .pst is, let's say, 3GB, will Exchange then sync all the 3GB?
So it is available thru OWA?
=
SnagIt-03062017 092028.png

=

Exchange does not use a pst - it syncs what is on the server with the desktop, storing the local copies in an ost (offline data file). If you need to upload mail to the server, you can import from the pst, but you can't use it for Exchange data file.

You could use rules to move mail to the pst but its silly to have the account in as exchange and move the mail to a pst - you might as well use pop3. (Older versions of outlook allowed you to deliver mail to pst but it caused issues affecting work accounts so they blocked it in current versions).

The advantage of using Outlook.com as Exchange is that you can sync calendar & contacts with the server for access to them from anywhere. You can have exchange as the default data file and add other account types to your profile.

With thanks to your guideline I successfully changed the location of the .ost file.

After moving the .ost file to the desired location and going thru the tutorial, everything went fine.

A tip though, after relaunching Outlook it got me the below error.

"Outlook is using an old copy of your Outlook data file (.ost). Exit Outlook, delete the file, and restart Outlook. A new file will be automatically created the next time you initiate a send/receive."

So, I deleted it and relaunched Outlook again.

"Preparing Outlook for first use"
"Outlook is setting up a local copy of your mailbox. It may be several minutes until all of your data is available.
Outlook 2016"

Everything okay now.

=

Please allow me to get back on this Diane.
Just out of curiosity...
When Outlook is opened, I can first get this selection pop-up (the old way or exchange).
By default I select the old way.

When doing a search I get a "Something went wrong and your search couldn't be completed" warning (3x)
Something similar is described here: Something went wrong and your search couldn't be completed - Microsoft Community
The indexing settings are okay.
However, when checking the files .pst/.ost I noticed that both are actually open and maybe, just maybe, the cause of this warning is a result of the .ost file being active as well?

Any idea?

=

SnagIt-19062017 132015.png

=

When Outlook is opened, I can first get this selection pop-up (the old way or exchange).
By default I select the old way.
You mean you are still getting the moved mailbox message? You may need to make a new profile to get rid of it. If you used the ForceOSTPath key a new profile will automatically use that path.

This search error is the result of one of the june 13 2017 updates - possibly this one: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4022715/windows-10-update-kb4022715 or that in combination with another but Microsoft is still investigating. I've found it only comes up in an all mailbox search - if i limit it to current folder or current mailbox, it doesn't come up.

Thanks for your quick reply.
Yes, that is correct, forgot to mention: indeed it is only when doing a search in all mailboxes. In case of the default inbox, there is no error.

As for your 2nd post: I don't get any further errors.
Everything works fine, except then for this search error when searching thru multiple mailboxes.

I guessed.. but guessed only.. it was because the .ost file is also seems to be active in the background and searching all inboxes would be attempting to check out the .ost box, although at the selection, immediately after launching, I selected the 'conventional' (read: .pst) Outlook to be launched.

Anyway, probably we all need to sit back for a while. Upon further checking I noticed I am not the only one... :)
Outlook 2016 - Something went wrong and your search couldn't be - Microsoft Community

Thanks again.
=

Thanks for your quick reply.
Yes, that is correct, forgot to mention: indeed it is only when doing a search in all mailboxes. In case of the default inbox, there is no error.

When i first saw it, i thought it was because i was searching all mailboxes while in a shared mailbox - searches are limited to current folder in shared folders - but it's also affecting pst files.

Status
Not open for further replies.