User Defined Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JoeRob

In "hacking about", I created several user defined fields which I would like

to remove. Under "all fields" they are listed under "User-Defined Field In

This Item", "User-Defined Fields In This Folder"and "Mens Club"(custome

form). How can I remove these fields.
 
S

Sue Mosher [MVP]

On the All Fields page in the form design, you should see a Remove button on

the User-Defined Fields ... views. You may also want to go into the folder's

View dialog and remove the field definitions with the Remove button there.

Best practice is to do your "hacking about" in a test folder that you can

later delete.

Sue Mosher

"JoeRob" <JoeRob> wrote in message

news:BCB9FACA-F885-4AD5-B38A-EF196556E12A@microsoft.com...
> In "hacking about", I created several user defined fields which I would
> like
> to remove. Under "all fields" they are listed under "User-Defined Field
> In
> This Item", "User-Defined Fields In This Folder"and "Mens Club"(custome
> form). How can I remove these fields.
 
K

Karl Timmermans

Just to add to Sue's response:

#1 - If UDF's are exclusively part of the custom form

then you only need to remove them from the form definition

(unless the same fields were created in the folder prior to

the custom form being assigned)

#2 - If no custom form in play, removing the fields from the

"In folder" group will not remove the fields already assigned

to an individual item which occurs if there is a value in a

given UDF field. In those cases, if you want to completely

remove all traces of the UDF, you will need to remove

each UDF from each individual contact item where these

occur. (something that can be very easily done in bulk

via VBA)

Karl

______________________

ContactGenie - QuickPort/DataPort/Exporter/Toolkit/Duplicate Contact Mgr

"""

"JoeRob" <JoeRob> wrote in message

news:BCB9FACA-F885-4AD5-B38A-EF196556E12A@microsoft.com...
> In "hacking about", I created several user defined fields which I would
> like
> to remove. Under "all fields" they are listed under "User-Defined Field
> In
> This Item", "User-Defined Fields In This Folder"and "Mens Club"(custome
> form). How can I remove these fields.
 
J

JoeRob

Sue, Thank you for your response. I slowly learning how to prevent these

mistakes.

Ref. your response, I'm sure it's obvious but what is "the folder's view

dialog"?

"Sue Mosher [MVP]" wrote:


> On the All Fields page in the form design, you should see a Remove button on
> the User-Defined Fields ... views. You may also want to go into the folder's
> View dialog and remove the field definitions with the Remove button there.

> Best practice is to do your "hacking about" in a test folder that you can
> later delete.
> > Sue Mosher
> > >

> "JoeRob" <JoeRob> wrote in message
> news:BCB9FACA-F885-4AD5-B38A-EF196556E12A@microsoft.com...
> > In "hacking about", I created several user defined fields which I would
> > like
> > to remove. Under "all fields" they are listed under "User-Defined Field
> > In
> > This Item", "User-Defined Fields In This Folder"and "Mens Club"(custome
> > form). How can I remove these fields.


> .
>
 
J

JoeRob

Karl,

What would the code to remove userdifined fields look like. Would this be

something using "userproperties.remove" and what would the expressions after

setting the object to a folder look like?

"Karl Timmermans" wrote:


> Just to add to Sue's response:

> #1 - If UDF's are exclusively part of the custom form
> then you only need to remove them from the form definition
> (unless the same fields were created in the folder prior to
> the custom form being assigned)

> #2 - If no custom form in play, removing the fields from the
> "In folder" group will not remove the fields already assigned
> to an individual item which occurs if there is a value in a
> given UDF field. In those cases, if you want to completely
> remove all traces of the UDF, you will need to remove
> each UDF from each individual contact item where these
> occur. (something that can be very easily done in bulk
> via VBA)

> Karl

> > ______________________
>

> ContactGenie - QuickPort/DataPort/Exporter/Toolkit/Duplicate Contact Mgr
> """
>

> "JoeRob" <JoeRob> wrote in message
> news:BCB9FACA-F885-4AD5-B38A-EF196556E12A@microsoft.com...
> > In "hacking about", I created several user defined fields which I would
> > like
> > to remove. Under "all fields" they are listed under "User-Defined Field
> > In
> > This Item", "User-Defined Fields In This Folder"and "Mens Club"(custome
> > form). How can I remove these fields.


> .
>
 
S

Sue Mosher [MVP]

View | Current View | Customize Current View | Fields.

Sue Mosher

"JoeRob" <JoeRob> wrote in message

news:EF750045-322A-4B75-9438-E84DA77067AA@microsoft.com...
> Sue, Thank you for your response. I slowly learning how to prevent these
> mistakes.
> Ref. your response, I'm sure it's obvious but what is "the folder's view
> dialog"?

> "Sue Mosher [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > On the All Fields page in the form design, you should see a Remove button
> > on
> > the User-Defined Fields ... views. You may also want to go into the
> > folder's
> > View dialog and remove the field definitions with the Remove button
> > there.
>

>> Best practice is to do your "hacking about" in a test folder that you can
> > later delete.
> > > > Sue Mosher
> > >> >> >
>
>> "JoeRob" <JoeRob> wrote in message
> > news:BCB9FACA-F885-4AD5-B38A-EF196556E12A@microsoft.com...
> > > In "hacking about", I created several user defined fields which I would
> > > like
> > > to remove. Under "all fields" they are listed under "User-Defined
> > > Field
> > > In
> > > This Item", "User-Defined Fields In This Folder"and "Mens Club"(custome
> > > form). How can I remove these fields.

>

>
>> .
> >
 
K

Karl Timmermans

This quick snip should do the trick but there are lots of ways to do the

same thing. To stress, this should only be used for UDF's that are

NOT part of a custom form definition.

--------------------------------------Dim olItms As Outlook.Items

Dim olCItm As Outlook.ContactItem

Dim olUProp As Outlook.UserProperty

' assume olItms already set to selected ContactFolder.Items

For Each olCItm In olItms

'this skips everything other than contacts assigned to the

'standard contact message class

If olCItm.MessageClass <> "IPM.Contact" Then

GoTo Next_Con

End If

Set olUProp = olCItm.UserProperties.Find("PropName", True)

'this will skip the property if it doesn't exist for a given

contact

'UDF's should NEVER be deleted this way if a custom form

' is in use

If olUProp Is Nothing Then

'if checking for more than one UDF - adjust accordingly

GoTo Next_Con

End If

olUProp.Delete

olCItm.Save

Next_Con:

Next

---------------------------------------Karl

______________________

ContactGenie - QuickPort/DataPort/Exporter/Toolkit/Duplicate Contact Mgr

"""

"JoeRob" <JoeRob> wrote in message

news:0C78736E-997F-4F3F-BB53-91439DC0D953@microsoft.com...
> Karl,
> What would the code to remove userdifined fields look like. Would this
> be
> something using "userproperties.remove" and what would the expressions
> after
> setting the object to a folder look like?

> "Karl Timmermans" wrote:
>
> > Just to add to Sue's response:
>

>> #1 - If UDF's are exclusively part of the custom form
> > then you only need to remove them from the form definition
> > (unless the same fields were created in the folder prior to
> > the custom form being assigned)
>

>> #2 - If no custom form in play, removing the fields from the
> > "In folder" group will not remove the fields already assigned
> > to an individual item which occurs if there is a value in a
> > given UDF field. In those cases, if you want to completely
> > remove all traces of the UDF, you will need to remove
> > each UDF from each individual contact item where these
> > occur. (something that can be very easily done in bulk
> > via VBA)
>

>> Karl
>

>> > > ______________________
> >

> > ContactGenie - QuickPort/DataPort/Exporter/Toolkit/Duplicate Contact Mgr
> > """
> >

>

>
>> "JoeRob" <JoeRob> wrote in message
> > news:BCB9FACA-F885-4AD5-B38A-EF196556E12A@microsoft.com...
> > > In "hacking about", I created several user defined fields which I
> > > would
> > > like
> > > to remove. Under "all fields" they are listed under "User-Defined
> > > Field
> > > In
> > > This Item", "User-Defined Fields In This Folder"and "Mens
> > > Club"(custome
> > > form). How can I remove these fields.

>

>
>> .
> >
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S User Defined Fields adding new value (2) Using Outlook 0
M vCard does not have user-defined fields from my custom contact form (365) Using Outlook 1
F MAPI, User Defined Fields and perspective after 20 years Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B Outlook Business Contact Manager with SQL to Excel, User Defined Fields in BCM don't sync in SQL. Can I use VBA code to copy 1 field to another? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
M Multiple User Defined Fields that can be added, changed, updated using VBA and user form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R User Defined Fields adding new value Using Outlook 3
S VBA with User Defined fields Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
M Map Outlook user defined fields onto a Sharepoint list ??? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N How to retrieve user defined fields values to bcm form. Using Outlook 2
N How to disable user defined fields in BCM forms Using Outlook 2
K User Defined Fields in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
P User-Defined Relationship Fields: Invisible? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
W Template to produce calendars with wrapped text & user-defined fields? Using Outlook 1
R writing "Instant Search" queries to find User-Defined fields Using Outlook 0
P Joining the User Defined Fields to their User Field&lt;n&gt; counterpart BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
E Accessing User Defined Fields in BCM Database part 2 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
E [SOLVED] Accessing User Defined Fields in BCM Database part 1 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 9
J user defined fields Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P Where are User-defined fields stored in BCM 2010 database? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
M User defined fields Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
J User defined fields with pre-defined values Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J Where does BCM store User-Defined fields in the database? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
D User-defined fields and multiple forms BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T User Defined Fields vs. Area of Interest BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
C User Defined Fields BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
H Information from user defined field into Excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
B User defined field for messages with 'me' in the [To], [Cc] line Using Outlook 0
R Creating a user defined function Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Compile error: User-defined type not defined Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Outlook 2016 Conditional Format for User Defined Field Using Outlook 1
N How to set automatically the default or user defined Quickstyle Templates by Answer in Outlook Using Outlook 1
Daniel Schunk User-defined form arrives empty at the recipient Using Outlook 3
J Assess content of User Defined Field in Rule Using Outlook 3
S Outlook User defined date field (UDF) not syncing Using Outlook 2
G how can Apply User-defined Field to all Sub Folder and Other Using Outlook 14
F Adding User Defined Field to another form Using Outlook 0
G How to let data in an account user defined field appear in the same field all related opportunities BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
V Extracting user-defined details from a public folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J How to show the "value" of a user-defined Account field in a Contact Record BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
witzker Outlook bug when creating a user defined contact form? Using Outlook 1
Wotme Syntax for user defined field in VBA Using Outlook 1
J How to create a user defined dropdown list field for a custom contact form Using Outlook 3
S User defined field not showing in Custom view Exchange Server Administration 0
T issue/ base and user defined contact types BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
D User Defined Info Gone Using Outlook 1
S [SOLVED] Search by User-Defined Relationship Field BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
C User defined field not found in any views prints. Cannot locate to delete. Using Outlook 2
M user-defined properties in printed emails? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
M What is the recommendet way to read/write a user defined Field (Named Property) in the MailItem Obje Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M What is the recommendet way to read/write a user defined Field (Named Property) in the MailItem Obje Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5

Similar threads

Top