Outlook 2002 - How to upgrade to 2003 and convert PST from ANSI to Unicode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porty

Outlook version
Older version
Email Account
POP3
This seems to be an issue that concerns many users.It also seems to be hard to get accurate (and simple) advice on the best way to do it.Hopefully, I've come to the right place now :)A friend has a working instalation of Outlook 2002.Her PST has grown to be 1.7G.I'm aware that if the PST reaches 2G, Outlook may crash.I want to upgrade Outlook to 2003.But as far as I'm aware, the upgrade will not convert the PST from ANSI to Unicode.Can some kind person confirm this please?And perhaps suggest the best way to do the job?Thanks :)

Re: Outlook 2002 - How to upgrade to 2003 and convert PST from ANSI to Unicode

Diane, thanks for your response. One more query - if it's in your area.

I'm new to this site. My browser of choice is Firefox. But with Firefox, the posting area doesn't respond properly. Like, I can't see the curso. Hitting Enter doesn't get a line break, can't backspace etc etc.

Seems like the board is optimised for another browser.

Any idea which one? I'm typing this now with Opera but it's not 100% either.

Cheers :)

It should work fine in all browsers - and seems to be fine in the latest FF. I have noticed that text boxes in FF can be goofy at times, especially when the browser has been open a while.

Which editor option do you use? On the left is the A/A button - it switches between source and wysiwyg mode - and there is the Go Advanced button which also has the source and wysiwyg mode.

Actually, I've used Firefox to post on several hundred boards over the years and never ran across this particular problem. But I've just tried your suggestion and modified the input method from Advanced to Medium and that's fixed it. Thanks.

BTW, re the pre-2003 Outlook data files, are they actually PST? Or were they known as OST? Also, is there a way to tell from the file properties whether such a file is ANSI or Unicode? I'm interested to know if I carry out a conversion, there's any way of telling if it worked.

When you view the pst properties - file, data file management or right click on the pst in the folder list and choose properties, then Advanced button - if the properties page saud Outlook 97-2002 format, its ANSI. If it just says outlook data file (and you are using outlook 2003 and up) its Unicode.

The data files for pop3 and imap are pst files. Hotmail and exchange use ost files - all you need to do is delete an old ost and they'll be created in the new format. Same for imap - outlook chooses the format for you.

Thanks Diane - a very informative answer :) I'm just about ready to tackle my friend's problem.

Here's another oddity about the board's format. I was emailed a notification that you'd replied to my question. I clicked the link (in Outlook Express) and was taken to the board.

Note that, at this point, I'm not logged in. But I can see your Avatar (and very nice, too :)

So, I go to reply, which requires me to logon. I logon and oops - Diane's Avatars aren't visible.

Any ideas about this? It's not crucial but I'm always curious about why computer things work (or don't).

Cheers :)

There is an option in user profiles where you can choose to not display avatars (or signatures or images). You have them disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Outlook 2002-2013 upgrade Using Outlook 3
S Outlook 2002- "Send" button has disappeared. Help please. Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2002: HTML Emails Will Not Print: Please Help Using Outlook 0
S Transferring POP emails from Outlook 2002 to Outlook.com email in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8
D Syncing Outlook 2002 with iPad 128 KB Using Outlook 1
A moving outlook 2002 from xp to win 7 or 8 Using Outlook 2
D Outlook contacts no in address book - 2002 pst file convert to 2007 pst file? Using Outlook 0
K Outlook 2002 Can Not Send Or Receive E-mails Using Outlook 3
P How can I view a german email in outlook 2002? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D I need to know everything about Outlook 2002/XP Forms ! Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Question about Outlook 2021 and Gmail Using Outlook 2
J Outlook VBA to send from Non-default Account & Data Files Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P Limited Support for 3rd Party Mail in new Outlook? Using Outlook 1
O Any 3rd party tool that sync (mirror) from Outlook Calendar to Google Calendar? Using Outlook 5
T Outlook is categorizing emails incorrectly Using Outlook 1
R Legacy Outlook on Mac Email Cache Using Outlook 0
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 3
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2019 is no longer asking for password ... Using Outlook 5
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
M Synchronization and backup of Outlook from local to server. Using Outlook 8
T How to get an EVENT COLOR option in Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 0
K How can I delete an e-mail from Outlook Using Outlook 1
V Outlook Error The Attempted operation Failed. An Object Could Not be found Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Yahoo/IMAP folder rename by Outlook desktop 365 Using Outlook 0
A Outlook 2019 folder counter Using Outlook 0
A Relocate Search Bar in Outlook Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Need clarification on 2-Step Verification for Gmail using Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 10
L Opening People Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2021 not letting me setup my Gmail using pop Using Outlook 1
Geldner Problem submitting SPAM using Outlook VBA Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P VBA to add email address to Outlook 365 rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Outlook 2016 outlook vba to look into shared mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Can no longer sync Outlook with iPhone calendar after iPhone update to 17.1.1 Using Outlook 7