Using a VBA Custom Form to Send Reoccurring Email Upon Task Completion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drursion

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2010
I need to send out a reminder email every other Wednesday, so I thought a simple reoccurring email would do the trick. I then learned that Outlook 2010 does not have such a feature without an add-on. I found and followed this tutorial from Microsoft. I used the following code in a custom task form:

Code:
Sub Item_PropertyChange(ByVal Name)

Select Case Name

Case "Status"

if Item.Status = 2 then '2 = Completed

Set NewItem = Application.CreateItem(0)

NewItem.To = "change to the email I want to send to@outlook.com; change2@outlook.com"

NewItem.Recipients.ResolveAll

NewItem.Subject = "This is the message subject text"

NewItem.Body = "This is text that will appear in the body of the message."

NewItem.Display

NewItem.Send

End IF

End Select

End Sub

Then I create a new task with the newly published form and set it to reoccur. The task appears in my Task List. I mark it as complete, but nothing happens. I am a rookie at VBA and have no idea how to fix the code to do what I am looking for. Could someone please assist me in this?

Thanks,

Drursion

Thank you Diane! When I go back to work on Monday I will try this, but I have some questions about the code. Just forgive me because I am trying to understand it some as opposed to just copying and pasting the code.

Code:
Private Sub Application_Reminder(ByVal Item As Object)
  Dim objMsg As MailItem
  Set objMsg = Application.CreateItem(olMailItem)

'IPM.TaskItem to watch for Task Reminders
If Item.MessageClass <> "IPM.Appointment" Then
  Exit Sub
End If

If Item.Categories <> "Send Message" Then
  Exit Sub
End If

objMsg.To = Item.Location
  objMsg.BCC = "me@slipstick.com"
  objMsg.Subject = Item.Subject
  objMsg.Body = Item.Body
  objMsg.Send

Set objMsg = Nothing
End Sub

1.) When I create my own category for this do I place the name of that category in Line #10 "Send Message" or Line #6 "IPM.Appointment"?

2.)Why is objMsg.To = Item.Location not shown as a "me@slipstick.com" email to send to or is this just listed and is safe to change to an email?
I would delete the BCC line because I just want to send this to specific people.

3.) My work has set up a global address book that uses # to identify specific groups of people. Is there a way to add one of those groups into the objMsg.To section?

4.) Lastly, What does Set objMsg = Nothing mean and/or do as part of the code?

Thanks,

Drursion

The new category name goes here, replacing Send Message
If Item.Categories <> "Send Message" Then

2.)Why is objMsg.To = Item.Location not shown as a "me@slipstick.com" email to send to or is this just listed and is safe to change to an email?I would delete the BCC line because I just want to send this to specific people.
The macro the snippet came from uses the fields in an appointment to create the message. if you want to use the macro to send reminders to different people, their alias or address goes in the location field. You can put the addresses there instead.

Add the group alias to it instead:
objMsg.To = "group name"

4.) Lastly, What does Set objMsg = Nothing mean and/or do as part of the code?
It clears the message from memory - although sending the message should do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K can't get custom form to update multiple contacts using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
D create an html table in outlook custom form 2010 using vba in MsAccess Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
G Adding a contact to Outlook with a custom form using Access VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
H using VBA to edit subject line Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Geldner Problem submitting SPAM using Outlook VBA Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Outlook 2021 Using vba code to delete all my spamfolders not only the default one. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Z Import Tasks from Access Using VBA including User Defined Fields Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
justicefriends How to set a flag to follow up using VBA - for addressee in TO field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
David McKay VBA to manually forward using odd options Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Outlook VBA How to adapt this code for using in a different Mail Inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B Change Font and Font size using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
M Outlook 2013 reminder email by using Outlook vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
O Email not leaving Outbox when using Excel VBA to sync Outlook account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
L Moving emails with similar subject and find the timings between the emails using outlook VBA macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Edit subject - and change conversationTopic - using VBA and redemption Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Vba to monitor time to respond to emails using a shared mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
B Looking to get the Recipient email address (or even the "friendly name") from an email I am replying to using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
N Open & Save VBAProject.Otm using VBA Code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Remove text in subject using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P How to export voting results using VBA? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Find a cell value in excel using outlook vba Using Outlook 1
B query outlook using vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 13
P Replying to calendar item using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
H Change Default Email Account Using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
U Using VBA to creat hyperlinks in an email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
P Outlook 2007 Email Categorization using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Multiple User Defined Fields that can be added, changed, updated using VBA and user form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Diane Poremsky Create a Series of Tasks using VBA Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Paste clipboard contents using VBA Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Copy New Appointments to Another Calendar using VBA Using Outlook 0
L Clear Offline (Task) Items using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
O How to set subject line in replies using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O VBA rule on multiple computers using shared mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Using VBA to disable alerts / warnings Using Outlook 2
P Saving All Messages to the Hard Drive Using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
Diane Poremsky Create a list of color categories and merge or restore the list using VBA Using Outlook 0
A Can i apply mail rules to inbox sub folders using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M using Folders.Count in Excel Vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
M VBA Send Sales reports using .oft files, originate in Outlook or Excel? Using Outlook 5
A Outlook VBA - moving mail item to public folder using variable within path Using Outlook 6
P Automatic reply on incoming messages in outlook using VBA(only Specifi person) Using Outlook 14
D Update existing rule using VBA Using Outlook 2
A VBA Script to Forward Spam to AntiSpam Provider Using "Blank" Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J How to set a flag to follow up using VBA for outlook 2003 Using Outlook 10
J Add categories to Shared Mailbox using VBA Using Outlook 2
R Limiting meeting attendees using VBA or an add-in Using Outlook 9
J Create new outlook task into task subfolder using vba Using Outlook 6
S Send All emails in Outbox and Quit using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R Outlook and Access integration using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
U using VBA to set message sensitivity Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1