Outlook launch email showing new unread email in reading pane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannywrg8

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Hi, recently when I launch outlook it previews/selects the newest unread email and when I click off it marks as read. And this is slightly annoying and could lead to new emails not being read. Previously, it would just select/preview the email that was latest email from the previous day, and the new unread email would just appear directly above the previous days email. Some days the above error occurs and other days it doesn’t.

It did undergo an update a few weeks ago and ever since then this sort of error has occurred. Please note I am an employee and cannot install the latest updates as this is controlled by our IT department.

I have not changed any settings from the recent updated apart from selecting always preview messages in the reading pane.

Has anybody experienced this issue before and know how to resolve.

I wonder if this is the "outlook not saving preferences" cloud bug.

I wonder if this is the "outlook not saving preferences" cloud bug.

Hi Diane,

Thanks for the advice. I will check this out. As I said before, this issue seemed to occur about a week after IT installed a new outlook desktop update, where the company doesn’t always have the latest outlook version.

If outlook is left open, it will stay on the selected item, not the newest downloaded item. However, when I first open outlook it defaults to the top of the inbox. As I said before, it used to never default to the top of the inbox until recently. Also, some days over the last couple of weeks it will default to top of inbox. Other days it will stay on the selected item from the previous day.

Can you confirm if outlook when first opened should be defaulting to top of inbox or to the my last selected item in the inbox? It may in the past also went to the top of the inbox by default when first opening outlook, but the issue seems to occur more commonly now.

Outlook settings and functionality all still works fine, it’s just this graphical interface. Have you heard of this issue before?

When you open it, it should select the first message. When you exchange folders after its open, it should remember the last selected message.

Thanks for the help. It just randomly changes and varies between days when Outlook is now being launched. However, this is not a big deal as all other functions work. But many thanks for the help.

Forgot to add that my outlook version doesn’t have the cloud setting storage option.

Hi Diane, just to provide an update.

The “issue” is still occurring. It might be ok for a few days then for some reason will produce the above “issue”. It will then revert itself back to normal the following day or the next day. This has occurred for the last 3/4 weeks since the update was performed by the IT department. I have monitored this pattern over the last few weeks and appears no trend apart from the above.

On the day the “issue” occurs, I perform a number of restarts/shutdowns of outlook and the pc, and receive a number of test emails. However the “issue” still exists when first launching the outlook desktop app. Sometimes if I simply close the outlook app, and open the app back again on this “issue” day, it sometimes reverts back to normal (after receiving test emails). However, if I restart/shutdown the pc it experiences the above “issue”.

On the day there is no “issues”, if I perform a number of restarts/shutdowns and receive test emails, then I don’t experience the “issue”. So it seems like on that particular day Outlook just performs in a certain way.

I suspect there is some glitch in the desktop app that is causing this GUI “issue” and nothing I can really do?! Plus the work IT department roll out updates continuously through the year, so expect at the next update this glitch will be gone. The IT department said they will investigate further but might just be the case of outlook exchange server having producing this glitch during launching of the desktop app.

Thanks

Do you only have the exchange mailbox in your profile?

Yes it is Microsoft exchange mailbox. I Spoke to my IT department and all the said was it’s a glitch! Since it’s just an user interface I have closed the ticket.
Hi Diane,

My work IT department have stated that a recreating of the outlook profile might help. Would you agree?

Our company went through a migration a couple months back and I personally had issues with creating a new profile after the migration and therefore I am hesitant to try this.

I've had similar problem for a year w local Office365 Outlook. There will be unread email displaying when first opening inbox that are from two or three months ago. I don't notice their received date and reply even though I had resolved the customer's question already.

I think it's machine specific, not profile specific because I've deleted profiles a couple of times on this pc.

An office365 tech suggested in a different context (when searching the results were not displaying in the selected date order) to try renaming the user's appdata local Microsoft outlook folder, and let it recreate. Would lose some configuration but I noticed mine had entries from 5 years ago despite multiple reinstalls.

I've had similar problem for a year w local Office365 Outlook. There will be unread email displaying when first opening inbox that are from two or three months ago. I don't notice their received date and reply even though I had resolved the customer's question already.

I think it's machine specific, not profile specific because I've deleted profiles a couple of times on this pc.

An office365 tech suggested in a different context (when searching the results were not displaying in the selected date order) to try renaming the user's appdata local Microsoft outlook folder, and let it recreate. Would lose some configuration but I noticed mine had entries from 5 years ago despite multiple reinstalls.
Hi Len,

Thanks very much for your guidance and I will pass onto our IT department.

I did recreate the profile but nothing changed. It is still selecting the first email message (the newest email in the inbox) when I first launch outlook. As I have said before, there is no pattern to this over the last month but recently it has been selecting the first message a lot more. However, according to Diane, when first launching outlook it should select the first message.

The issue happened a month or so ago after an IT Microsoft update and had another update last week and the “issue” still occurs.

Maybe the Microsoft recent updates changed how the inbox etc works as our company do not always have the latest office 365 versions.

It’s merely a GUI so it’s not a big deal as all other outlook aspects work. Slightly annoying it’s been consistently inconsistent as it will behave in this way for a few days then revert back to normal. However, recently it has seemed to keep consistent with the issue of selecting the first message.

I suspect it’s simply a small glitch. I have experienced some other small glitches as well with outlook but they usually resolved after restarting the app.

Status
Not open for further replies.