Connect outlook to office365 exchange _without_ signing in office apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeslipemail

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
For various reasons (multiple accounts, shared computers, home computers, visiting contractors) we would like to connect outlook 2016 to office365 exchange server but NOT sign into all the office apps. We often use office perpetual licenses (not subscriptions). We have easily accomplished the exchange connection without app (word/excel/etc) sign-in in the past by simply modifying the registry to set enableadal = 0. And this still works in office 2013. But just recently office 2016 completely stopped respecting the enableadal=0. Even with the key set, it still does a modern authentication login and signs in all the apps on the pc to the office365 account. This seems like a bug in the last few versions of office 2016 and 2019..

>>There must be a way to use exchange and NOT sign in to all office apps?<<

here is an example of another user online that had the same request:
"My employer uses office 365 and has assigned office 365 mailboxes to all employees. At home, I've got a personal copy of Office 2016. I've got to have access at home to my work email and calendar, so I've added the Office 365 mailbox to Outlook. Much to my dismay, after doing so, I discovered that I was signed in to all of the office applications with this account. E.g. I'm signed in to Word, Excel, etc. I find it to be very intrusive that I've been signed into the entire Office suite using my work account. If I click the sign-out link in any of the other Office applications, Office reverts to the desirable signed-out state - that is, until I re-launch Outlook, whereupon I am prompted to sign in for my email once again, and the entire Office suite is once again connected to the Office 365 account."

>>
until I re-launch Outlook, whereupon I am prompted to sign in for my email once again, and the entire Office suite is once again connected to the Office 365 account."
>>
When you add the account to outlook and asked to stay signed in, click the link to sign into the app only. I also untick the box to allow the org to manage office.
2021-06-03_01-37-46-0000.png

Diane,
Thank you so much for getting back to me. Your posts/articles and slipstick in general has been a beacon of outlook truth for years for us IT folk!

The suggestion you provided is only somewhat helpful, because, even if you click that, it still signs word and excel into the office account.

I haven't looked into it deeply, but I wonder if with the newer office update disabling adal is not enough, maybewe also need to disable WAM. Would be awesome if we could just make a true old fashion exchange connection and not have word, excel, outlook all signed in as the user. I am still using office 2013 and not updating for this reason now. It allows me to connect to the dozens of accounts I connect to for troubleshooting, work, etc in providing support, without intrusivily login my Word application into the same test account. Various other reasons we like to have this function.. eg: shared computers.

Yeah. its a pita - I have 6 accounts in my profile that have office subscriptions and for the longest time, it kept dropping to the consumer subscription even though the business accounts have E3 and E5 subscriptions. It used the PowerShell to delete the office keys and signed in with an E5 and its staying on that, finally. ETA: but all 6 are listed in Excel and Word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Jennifer Murphy Outlook can't connect to Office 365 at resort hotel Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
W Cant connect to outlook.com from outlook Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
T Outlook 2016 cannot connect after transition to Outlook Mail Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky Connect Gmail Calendar to Outlook Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2007 won't connect Using Outlook 6
G Connect Outlook 2010 to Outlook.com Exchange Server Administration 1
E Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server/Cannot send mess. Using Outlook 0
D Outlook "Trying to Connect" Exchange Server Administration 1
C "Business Contact Manager for Outlook could not connect to db BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
M How to connect to SQL DB from outlook programmatically? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
K New Computer-Connect Outlook to existing bigpond mail account? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
S Connect Outlook Calendar with Hotmail Calendar Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 10
A Connect to server to views items Using Outlook 0
A Ol16 desktopT suddenly can't connect with Exchange Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
T Cannot connect to main BT email account, sub accts okay Using Outlook 0
G How to have domain client use owa server instead of exchange server while connect to network Using Outlook 1
C Connect VBA(outllok) with JavaScript Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L Cannot Connect to BCM database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 9
A Cannot connect to BCM database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
Diane Poremsky Direct Connect to Office 365 Using Outlook 0
H Can't connect to icloud Using Outlook 0
B Can't Connect to Office365 Exchange Server Exchange Server Administration 2
R BCM 2010 Problem with remote office (VPN) users cannot connect BCM (Business Contact Manager) 12
J BCM 2010 - New user cannot connect to remote DB BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
M Can one inter-connect tasks such that dependent task(s) are hidden? Using Outlook 1
A Trying to connect to exchange Exchange Server Administration 3
D can't connect to my hotmail Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
M BCM 2010 Cannot Connect to Remote Database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
L Sending reported error - 0x800CCC13. Cannnot connect to the network Using Outlook 5
R Shared database greyed out and cannot connect BCM (Business Contact Manager) 10
F How do I connect the database from my laptop to another? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
P 2007 business contact manager error unable to connect to databas BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
C Cannot Connect to BCM Database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
D Error trying to connect to database on the server BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
E Cannot connect to database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4