Autodiscover not configuring Outlook Anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Merlindb

Hello,

Have been searching around for resolution to this issue but so far it has not bee fruitful. Everything in our Autodiscover looks like it is setup correctly however our clients are not getting Outlook Anywhere configured automatically. Has anyone else had or seen this issue? How did you get Outlook Anywhere to work?

Cheers,

Merlin

Merlin Boissonneault Sr. Technical Analyst Messaging/OCS Northern Health

I would start by verifying that Outlook Anywhere information is coming down in autodiscover.
Two options for this.

1. Hold down CTRL while right clicking on the Outlook icon on the system tray. Then choose Test Email Autoconfiguration.

2. Use a test account and the Microsoft test site. http://exrca.com/ .

If the Outlook Anywhere URL isn't being passed down, disable Outlook Anywhere in Exchange, then run IISRESET to allow the change to be written to the IIS metabase. Then enable it again, run IISRESET as prompted, wait for the entry in the event viewer to confirm it is enabled and test again.

You may also want to look at get-outlookanywhere to confirm the configuration is as you expect.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

Hi Simon,

I checked out autodiscover settings using the methods you suggested and also used the get-outlookanywhere command. It looks like from the server side everything is configured correctly. However we are still having an issue where the Outlook client is not getting consistently updated, or where prexisiting users have abnormal outlook anywhere settings. Is there a way, possibly GPO? to force a global update of everyones outlook anywhere settings?

Thanks for your assistance so for.

You cannot configure Outlook Anywhere by group policy, that is why autodiscover does its thing.
You can configure it using the custom installation wizard, so if the information the clients are seeing is incorrect then I would be looking to see whether there has been an attempt to configure Outlook that way.

Autodiscover should really be the only way that Outlook is configured with Exchange 2007 and higher, so that there is no confusion over settings.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

Hi Simon,

All of the autodiscover settings look correct. Its just that clients that are allready setup are not getting updated automatically. Is there a way to force an update globally?

Thanks,

Merlin

Hi Merlindb,
Any update for your issue?
Per your description, your external user client could not be automatically configured well, right?
Could you please test that I referred above?
It would test the autodiscover service work well or not from the external domain.
And I also want to verify that how do you check the autodiscover, it is different between the internal and external.
1. It may be related with the CERT,such as SAN CERT name and so on.
2. It may be also related with the record on the public DNS server
Some information for you:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332063(EXCHG.80).aspx
If I misunderstand your issue, please tell me.
Regards!
Gavin

Well we've verified that it is populating new clients correctly, its just old profiles that are not getting updated so the problem is not with the autodiscover agent.

Going to have to work with our AD guy to see if there is a way to push an update to all of the old profiles.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Greetings everyone,

Please i have the same problem that is being discussed here. Autodiscover cannot fails to configure non domain outlook 2010 computers. below is a test output.

Attempting the Autodiscover and Exchange ActiveSync test (if requested).
Testing of Autodiscover for Exchange ActiveSync failed.
Test Steps
Attempting each method of contacting the Autodiscover service.
The Autodiscover service couldn't be contacted successfully by any method.
Test Steps
Attempting to test potential Autodiscover URL https://unipalcwa.com/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml
Testing of this potential Autodiscover URL failed.
Test Steps
Attempting to resolve the host name unipalcwa.com in DNS.
The host name resolved successfully.
Additional Details
IP addresses returned: 74.1.1.1
Testing TCP port 443 on host unipalcwa.com to ensure it's listening and open.
The port was opened successfully.
Testing the SSL certificate to make sure it's valid.
The SSL certificate failed one or more certificate validation checks.
Test Steps
ExRCA is attempting to obtain the SSL certificate from remote server unipalcwa.com on port 443.
ExRCA wasn't able to obtain the remote SSL certificate.
Additional Details
The certificate couldn't be validated because SSL negotiation wasn't successful. This could have occurred as a result of a network error or because of a problem with the certificate installation.
Attempting to test potential Autodiscover URL https://autodiscover.unipalcwa.com/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml
Test Steps
Attempting to resolve the host name autodiscover.unipalcwa.com in DNS.
Additional Details
IP addresses returned: 41.1.1.1
Testing TCP port 443 on host autodiscover.unipalcwa.com to ensure it's listening and open.
Test Steps
ExRCA is attempting to obtain the SSL certificate from remote server autodiscover.unipalcwa.com on port 443.
ExRCA successfully obtained the remote SSL certificate.
Test Steps
ExRCA is attempting to build certificate chains for certificate CN=mail.unipalcwa.com, OU=DOUALA, O=UNIPAL CWA, L=DOUALA, S=LITTORAL, C=CM.
A certificate chain couldn't be constructed for the certificate.
Additional Details
The certificate chain couldn't be built. You may be missing required intermediate certificates.
Attempting to contact the Autodiscover service using the HTTP redirect method.
The attempt to contact Autodiscover using the HTTP Redirect method failed.
Test Steps
Attempting to resolve the host name autodiscover.unipalcwa.com in DNS.
Additional Details
IP addresses returned: 41.1.1.1
Testing TCP port 80 on host autodiscover.unipalcwa.com to ensure it's listening and open.
ExRCA is checking the host autodiscover.unipalcwa.com for an HTTP redirect to the Autodiscover service.
ExRCA failed to get an HTTP redirect response for Autodiscover.
Additional Details
An HTTP 403 forbidden response was received. The response appears to have come from Unknown. Body of the response: You do not have permission to view this directory or page.
Attempting to contact the Autodiscover service using the DNS SRV redirect method.
ExRCA failed to contact the Autodiscover service using the DNS SRV redirect method.
Test Steps
Attempting to locate SRV record _autodiscover._tcp.unipalcwa.com in DNS.
The Autodiscover SRV record wasn't found in DNS.

Please, i need someone to help me. Thank you very much.

This :

Test Steps
ExRCA is attempting to obtain the SSL certificate from remote server unipalcwa.com on port 443.
ExRCA wasn't able to obtain the remote SSL certificate.
Additional Details
The certificate couldn't be validated because SSL negotiation wasn't successful. This could have occurred as a result of a network error or because of a problem with the certificate installation.
Attempting to test potential Autodiscover URL https://autodiscover.unipalcwa.com/A...toDiscover.xml

Tells me there is a problem with the ssl certificate on the server. Is a certificate published to the server? if so, are you using a selfcert or a purchased certificate?

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332063(v=EXCHG.80).aspx#ADAndCertificates for some information - the information is valid for Exchange 2010 too.

Thank you Diane for replying.

Please how do i get to know if the certificate is published onto the server? Also how do i know if it's a self-signed certificate of something that is bought from somewhere? I came and met the system like this, and i don't know much about Exchange server (Mail servers in general). I am just trying to figure out, why it shouldn't configure an account for someone not on the domain, whereas mail servers like Yahoo, Gmail etc all do that.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.