Security Question - How to prevent users exporting .iaf files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Greetings,

I am using Windows XP and Windows 2000 Professional.

I am also using Outlook Express 6.

I would like to ask if there is any way to prevent the users from Exporting the email settings and passwords into the .iaf files.

The reason for this is because, the users are reading the office emails at home ...

How can I prevent the .iaf outlook express settings files from being exported from within outlook express options.

Thank you

Regards

that might not stop them - they can create the accounts manaully. AFAIK, no, there is not a way to prevent it - however I'm not familar with group policies that might be available for OE so i could be wrong. Open the group policy editor on a win2k machine and see if you can can anything for oe.

that might not stop them - they can create the accounts manaully. AFAIK, no, there is not a way to prevent it - however I'm not familar with group policies that might be available for OE so i could be wrong. Open the group policy editor on a win2k machine and see if you can can anything for oe.

Dear Diane,

Thank you so much for replying to my Thread.

Well the idea in my office is that none of the staff has our passwords for all outlook express emails.

We set the passwords for them.

We do not want them to pass our emails to anyone outside the office.

As long as they cannot export the .iaf files, they cannot get the passwords and they wont be able to sign into the emails.

If I fix outlook express such that it cannot export the .iaf config files, and then change the passwords to all the emails, it should be quite safe.

Thus the question is this - Is there any way for me to prevent outlook express 6 from exporting the .iaf files ?

:)

Thank you once again for lending an ear to my problems.

Kind Regards.

Cat From Tomorrow.

In the Run commpand, type gpedit - does it bring up the group policy editor? That is you best chance for controlling what they can do in OE. I don't have a win2k machine handy to check and see what polcies are available for OE.

Templates are at Download: Group Policy ADM Files - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details - not sure if its different than what might already be installed.

if you aren't familar with group policies, see Group Policy for Beginners

Hi there,

I have downloaded and installed the Policies into my server but when running the policy editor, I cannot seem to find any Settings for Outlook Express.

Does Outlook Express have separate .adm group policies files ?

Thank You

Cat From Tomorrow

That i don't know. It's possible that it can't be controlled at all by gpo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Outlook Security Question Using Outlook 3
DoctorJellybean Windows Security Credentials appears once a day Using Outlook 2
noshairwan Registry cannot be found, Outlook Security Using Outlook 2
J Is it no longer possible to suppress Outlook 2019 Invalid Certificate name mismatch security alert via Registry? Using Outlook 1
D Security patch seems to kill vbscript on Enterprise Level Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
M 3rd Party Certificate now Security Alert Exchange Server Administration 2
Diane Poremsky Outlook Email Security Update Using Outlook 0
J Customize Attachement Security Warning Using Outlook 1
I Microsoft Security Update KB3097877 Using Outlook 14
Diane Poremsky The security certificate is not from a trusted certifying authority Using Outlook 0
smokiibear windows security mail application not accepting username and password Using Outlook 0
B Outlook Anywhere vs Activesync and Enterprise Security Exchange Server Administration 8
Commodore Skype and contacts security/privacy Using Outlook 1
E email security (backups) Using Outlook 2
A "Microsoft Exchange Add-In" (UmOutlookAddin.dll) + Outlook Security Form ... Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 2007 SSL selfsigned certificate how to stop security popup everytime? Using Outlook 10
T Outlook 2013, McAfee Security Suite and SMTP/POP3 Using Outlook 3
D Windows Security Using Outlook 1
G Security-enabled Distro Group Members Can't Access Associated Group Mailbox Using Outlook 1
B 2003 >> 2010 outlook today security changes (Iframes? Href?) Using Outlook 1
H Microsoft outlook security notice Using Outlook 2
B Re: The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could not be verified. The Using Outlook 4
L Need to Override Outlook 2007's security Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R outlook macro security issue Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J Using Group Policy to control Outlook security/attachments behaviour Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Programmatic Access Security Pop up with Wordeditor Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
T How to get MailItem.Body without security warning in Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Application_ItemSend not firing even with low security Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Outlook 2003 macro security problem Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
C security window Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Security Restriction Seriously Hampers Outlook Automation Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Custom Task form - security Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
P Outlook security prompt after installing Add-in Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
H How turn off outlook security warning dialog box from outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Stopping that security warning Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S how to disable security message in save attachments macro "A programis trying to access e-mail addre Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S Security exception while opening custom outlook form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C how to disable outlook security messages Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M EMail viewing security levels BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Question about Outlook 2021 and Gmail Using Outlook 2
G Question marks in messages Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Question about calendar Using Outlook 5
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Question about installing my Gmail account on my iPhone but still getting messages downloaded to my desktop Outlook. Using Outlook 3
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Question about reinstalling Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 5
e_a_g_l_e_p_i question about 2-Step Verification with my gmail Using Outlook 0
D Question on removing an alias Using Outlook 1
O Newbie question: how to sync two Outlook -Exchange and IMAP- calendars? Using Outlook 4
D a general question re how backup programs handle pst files ... I have no problems, just curious Using Outlook 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i A few question before I decide to switch to Pop from imap Using Outlook 9
D.Moore SendAndReceive question Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2