Custom Task form - security

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Netty

I have created a custom Task form and have it displayed by fields in a folder

under Tasks. Several fields are the yes/no icons which can easily be clicked

on. I want to know if there's a way to make those read-only on the task view

(so they can't be checked or unchecked) and then once the user opens the form

by double-clicking, then the field can be updated (checked or unchecked).

Anyone know if this is possible?
 
S

Sue Mosher [MVP]

You can adapt the technique shown in the code sample at

http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=778: Put code behind the form

to set a variable's value when the item is opened, and allow changes if that

variable is set to the proper value.

Sue Mosher

"Netty" <Netty> wrote in message

news:481A1795-D503-4ED9-88D6-FCD06341533D@microsoft.com...
> I have created a custom Task form and have it displayed by fields in a
> folder
> under Tasks. Several fields are the yes/no icons which can easily be
> clicked
> on. I want to know if there's a way to make those read-only on the task
> view
> (so they can't be checked or unchecked) and then once the user opens the
> form
> by double-clicking, then the field can be updated (checked or unchecked).
> Anyone know if this is possible?
 
N

Netty

Or even easier I found is going into Other settings and not selecting the

"allow in-cell editing". Perfect and EASY.

"Sue Mosher [MVP]" wrote:


> You can adapt the technique shown in the code sample at
> http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=778: Put code behind the form
> to set a variable's value when the item is opened, and allow changes if that
> variable is set to the proper value.

> > Sue Mosher
> > >

> "Netty" <Netty> wrote in message
> news:481A1795-D503-4ED9-88D6-FCD06341533D@microsoft.com...
> >I have created a custom Task form and have it displayed by fields in a
> >folder
> > under Tasks. Several fields are the yes/no icons which can easily be
> > clicked
> > on. I want to know if there's a way to make those read-only on the task
> > view
> > (so they can't be checked or unchecked) and then once the user opens the
> > form
> > by double-clicking, then the field can be updated (checked or unchecked).
> > Anyone know if this is possible?


>
 
S

Sue Mosher [MVP]

The user can, of course, turn it back on or apply a different view.

Sue Mosher

"Netty" <Netty> wrote in message

news:E31D83FE-4108-4E81-B15D-734BF4EAFE2A@microsoft.com...
> Or even easier I found is going into Other settings and not selecting the
> "allow in-cell editing". Perfect and EASY.

> "Sue Mosher [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > You can adapt the technique shown in the code sample at
> > http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=778: Put code behind the
> > form
> > to set a variable's value when the item is opened, and allow changes if
> > that
> > variable is set to the proper value.
>

>> "Netty" <Netty> wrote in message
> > news:481A1795-D503-4ED9-88D6-FCD06341533D@microsoft.com...
> > >I have created a custom Task form and have it displayed by fields in a
> > >folder
> > > under Tasks. Several fields are the yes/no icons which can easily be
> > > clicked
> > > on. I want to know if there's a way to make those read-only on the
> > > task
> > > view
> > > (so they can't be checked or unchecked) and then once the user opens
> > > the
> > > form
> > > by double-clicking, then the field can be updated (checked or
> > > unchecked).
> > > Anyone know if this is possible?

>

>
>>
 
N

Netty

Yes, that's true - but sometimes the easiest answer is nice to see too.

Everything I've seen you post is all complicated and with an attitude. If

you want to help people - start acting like it. Not everything has to be so

difficult.

"Sue Mosher [MVP]" wrote:


> The user can, of course, turn it back on or apply a different view.
> > Sue Mosher
> > >

> "Netty" <Netty> wrote in message
> news:E31D83FE-4108-4E81-B15D-734BF4EAFE2A@microsoft.com...
> > Or even easier I found is going into Other settings and not selecting the
> > "allow in-cell editing". Perfect and EASY.
> > "Sue Mosher [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> You can adapt the technique shown in the code sample at
> >> http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=778: Put code behind the
> >> form
> >> to set a variable's value when the item is opened, and allow changes if
> >> that
> >> variable is set to the proper value.
> >
> >> "Netty" <Netty> wrote in message
> >> news:481A1795-D503-4ED9-88D6-FCD06341533D@microsoft.com...
> >> >I have created a custom Task form and have it displayed by fields in a
> >> >folder
> >> > under Tasks. Several fields are the yes/no icons which can easily be
> >> > clicked
> >> > on. I want to know if there's a way to make those read-only on the
> >> > task
> >> > view
> >> > (so they can't be checked or unchecked) and then once the user opens
> >> > the
> >> > form
> >> > by double-clicking, then the field can be updated (checked or
> >> > unchecked).
> >> > Anyone know if this is possible?
> >
> >
> >>


>
 
S

Sue Mosher [MVP]

My attitude is that, if a solution to an Outlook issue is available, I will

provide as much of that solution as I know and have time to give. The

solution I gave is the simplest one for the issue you presented. If you find

the solution too difficult (and I would not consider this a difficult

solution at all, not compared with some of the more intractable Outlook

development challenges), you're certainly entitled to redefine the issue so

that it might be amenable to an easier solution. We all make adjustments

like that all the time.

But we can't read your mind. If you want other solutions, you have to tell

us where you're willing to compromise. Note in particular that the subject

of your post included the word "security," which is something that gets

serious treatment in any computer programming discussion forum, including

this one. It carries an assumption that you want a solution that a user

cannot easily undo. A change in the view settings does not meet that

security test. I would have been less than "helpful" if I had failed to

point that out.

Sue Mosher

"Netty" <Netty> wrote in message

news:750D79CA-6497-4B45-B911-EAA02AB23ADE@microsoft.com...
> Yes, that's true - but sometimes the easiest answer is nice to see too.
> Everything I've seen you post is all complicated and with an attitude. If
> you want to help people - start acting like it. Not everything has to be
> so
> difficult.

> "Sue Mosher [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > The user can, of course, turn it back on or apply a different view.
>

>> "Netty" <Netty> wrote in message
> > news:E31D83FE-4108-4E81-B15D-734BF4EAFE2A@microsoft.com...
> > > Or even easier I found is going into Other settings and not selecting
> > > the
> > > "allow in-cell editing". Perfect and EASY.
> >> > "Sue Mosher [MVP]" wrote:
> >> >> You can adapt the technique shown in the code sample at
> > >> http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=778: Put code behind the
> > >> form
> > >> to set a variable's value when the item is opened, and allow changes
> > >> if
> > >> that
> > >> variable is set to the proper value.
> > >
>> >> "Netty" <Netty> wrote in message
> > >> news:481A1795-D503-4ED9-88D6-FCD06341533D@microsoft.com...
> > >> >I have created a custom Task form and have it displayed by fields in
> > >> >a
> > >> >folder
> > >> > under Tasks. Several fields are the yes/no icons which can easily
> > >> > be
> > >> > clicked
> > >> > on. I want to know if there's a way to make those read-only on the
> > >> > task
> > >> > view
> > >> > (so they can't be checked or unchecked) and then once the user opens
> > >> > the
> > >> > form
> > >> > by double-clicking, then the field can be updated (checked or
> > >> > unchecked).
> > >> > Anyone know if this is possible?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
F Validation on custom task form after task acceptance Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Using a VBA Custom Form to Send Reoccurring Email Upon Task Completion Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Custom form reverts from task Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Recurring icon for custom form task item Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
J Best approach for restarting custom task form development after seemingly corrupt form environment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Custom task form issues! Using Outlook 1
W Custom Task Form: Scrollbars Do Not Appear On Textbox Using Outlook 4
S Custom Task Form - Reminder Control Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E To convert imported data to custom fields in Task list Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Brian Outlook List of custom task views missing in OL2013 Using Outlook 2
P accessing custom task pane with Outlook ActiveInspector Using Outlook 1
F Outlook 2010 custom font style duplicates itself every time I save a task Using Outlook 0
G Displaying value of task subject field as values from two custom fields Using Outlook 4
T Custom Task Request Deployment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
E After resizing Custom Task Pane "BeforeFolderSwitch" Event handler stopps being called Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
E After resizing Custom Task Pane "BeforeFolderSwitch" Event handler stopps being called Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
S Drag-and-drop to Custom Task Pane Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P Custom Task Cannot be open when assigned. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
J ol2021 custom form not displaying pics Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 30
N "Perform a Custom Action" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
cbufacchi Outlook 365 Populate custom Outlook Appoint form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C Create Meeting With Custom Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
FryW Need help modifying a VBA script for in coming emails to auto set custom reminder time Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J custom form not displaying pictures Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
I Button PDF in Outlook Contact custom form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
K Font Sizing in Custom Form Regions for Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
V Update new custom field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
D Anyone tell me where custom view settings are stored? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
S Outlook 2016 Arrange tasks by date, additional custom sorting, but still use friendly terms like Today, Tomorrow, This week? Using Outlook 1
K can't get custom form to update multiple contacts using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
H Custom Outlook Contact Form VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Custom Field Cannot Be Displayed In Views Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Custom Search Folders not refreshing/updating automatically Using Outlook 0
K UDF with formula not showing on Calendar custom view. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Create a clickable custom column field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M VbScript for Command Button on Contacts Custom Form Using Outlook 1
G Other users can't see P.2 with custom fields in Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
O Create a custom contact form - questions before messing things up... Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
S Reference Custom Fields with VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
L Custom Form Tutoral? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
D Lost Access to Custom Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
M vCard does not have user-defined fields from my custom contact form (365) Using Outlook 1
S Outlook Custom Form Scripting only working when clicking on "Run this form" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Custom VBA to sort emails into folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Victor_50 Outlook 2013 Custom Contact Form starts with "E-mail 2" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C Custom Form (seperate layout pages and message reading pane) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Reading Pane for Custom Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Custom Calendar Print Suggestions? Using Outlook 0
K Custom Category Colors Using Outlook 2

Similar threads

Top