Status
Not open for further replies.

23chickens

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Hi,

I am confused about the difference between flagging something or creating a new task. I have a quick step setup where from an email I create a new task with the content of the email. I can also use flag the email for follow up which essentially is the same thing. I have a feeling I am making this harder than it really is, but it seems I should abandon creating a new task strategy and just use the follow up flag. Does this make sense? I guess tasks are really just used for things that require my attention that are not originated from email?

Hmm... Now would I need to create a quick step for every follow option - next week, month etc... Of course not - I am just being complicated!

Give me some advice on flagging for follow up VS creating new tasks.

Thanks in advance.

Use the method that makes the most sense for you and your work habits - either is correct.

Yes, you can save a step by flagging email - but some people prefer Tasks because it's always there. If you accidently delete or clear the flag, you lose it from it the to-do list. Tasks are always there unless you delete them. Flagged messages are mixed in with hundreds of messages - tasks are all alone in the Tasks folder. If you are overzealous and flag a bunch of junk then have a change of heart and clear the flags, you can't retrace your steps. If you do this with tasks and mark them complete, you can unmark them. If you delete them, they might still be in the Deleted items folder when you change your mind.

If you don't get a lot of mail or flag things for followup soon, its not bad, but as one who has a lot of flagged messages - it gets unmanageable as the messages age. I'm back to making real tasks for important things, less important things, or ones I'm definitely going to work ASAP, get flagged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
justicefriends How to set a flag to follow up using VBA - for addressee in TO field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
A Flag Message for Follow Up after sending Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Setting flag follow up for next business day Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Flag for Follow Up with a customized duetime Using Outlook 1
smokiibear follow-up flag fro Tasks in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 5
A Post Form Follow Up Flag Using Outlook 4
J How to set a flag to follow up using VBA for outlook 2003 Using Outlook 10
F Apply Follow up flag ONLY to the people cc'd. Using Outlook 1
M How can I customize the Follow Up Flag message in Quick Steps? Using Outlook 1
S Adding follow flag for me by macro (MSO2007) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
L Help: set flag for sent mail to check if received an answer Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
E Remove flag automatically Using Outlook 4
T Can't reposition "Flag Status" column Using Outlook 0
R Outlook 365 update sets delete from server flag Using Outlook 1
S Change "This Week" flag start date behavior Using Outlook 1
C-S-R How to clear an Outlook (To Do) Task Flag? Using Outlook 8
A Unflag Inbox and Flag Inbox with Orange Category After Item is send Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
N Outlook 2010 Flag blocked for Safe Senders List???? Using Outlook 7
R Call a Public Sub when a Flag is clicked on in the Message Preview pane Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Rupert Dragwater Email flag does not show up in Outlook2013 Using Outlook 13
J Outlook 2013 Extract Flag Completed dates to Excel Macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 16
M VBA to change flag status in outlook contact item Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A rule to flag messages not working Using Outlook 5
S set a flag task date as the next weekday Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Diane Poremsky How to Easily Change the Private Flag Using Outlook 0
A Flag outgoing email messages in Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
T Customize Outlook flag Using Outlook 1
mikolajek Add on for customized flag operations? Using Outlook 4
B on flag message event - create task Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 22
Norbert VBA Flag that would indicate the email was sent from Outlook to Access. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Custom Flag Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Have Rule or Quick Step PROMPT for custom FLAG Due/Reminder date Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
mikecox Missing alarm flag Using Outlook 2
D Create additional custom flag descriptions (other than Send E-Mail, Call etc.) Using Outlook 1
L VBA Macro to flag sent emails Using Outlook 1
S Flag Completion Using Outlook 0
A automatically remove flag from original message when a response was received Using Outlook 2
J Macro to periodically sort emails by flag status? Using Outlook 1
L Flag settings Using Outlook 1
D Setting the Reminder flag in VBA for e-Mails sent to users Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
C Outlook 365 Can you change the follow up colour? Using Outlook 1
R Follow up button doesn't working neither the reminders in BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
V Changing default date for task follow-up buttons Using Outlook 2
O Outlook 2016 follow-up flags--how can I add dates? Using Outlook 1
G Follow up and Using Outlook 1
K check for sender, follow to my personal adress and delete the sent folder. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
oliv- HOW TO GET PROPERTIES FOLLOW UP Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
D No Follow up when making new form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
rc4524 Create auto follow-up reminder email for already sent messages Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Adding a note to a e-mail which has been marked as follow up Using Outlook 1