Disaster. Management wants to change email format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hetene

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi all.

Coming to this forum seeking for an advice.

Management wants to swap email format for ~900 users

Current:

doe.john@example.com

Needed:

jonh.doe@example.com.

In fact, we have a lot of LDAP authentication in different places where username change will trigger huge changes in the end systems that will be a disaster.

Main concerns why the format should be changed:

1) It looks more polite to have firstname to appear first - not too critical no mitigate with management.

2) Search in address book.

Currently, address book will not make a search by firstname unless you switch to 'More columns' that is inconvenient. We need to search by firstname as it is more common to remember people by name, not last name.

Current problem is in the picture: to find Yarith I need to know the lastname, search doesn't see Yarith.

Capture.PNG

What are the harmful ways out?

Will upgrade to Exchange 2010 or 2013 help somehow? Aliases? Outlook customization?

Thanks.

Management wants to change username format.

Current:

doe.john@example.com

Desired:

john.doe@example.com

Need to apply for ~900 users that is a disaster as many dependant things are there.

Main concern is to make search in address book easier, to search by the firstname.

Will migration to Exchange 2010 or 2013 help? Any settings in Outlook itself that will allow to search by the firstname by default?

Can use aliases?

Switching to 'More columns' isn't a solution.

Here is a problem displayed.

I want to find Yarith but Outlook doesn't see the first name.

Capture.PNG

Changing the address shouldn't be a problem - add the new format to the address policy in Exchange and set as default. Keep the old address format so mail from people not aware of the new address isn't lost. New mail and replies will use the new address format. It may or may not affect logins, depending on how the network is configured.

I don't think migrating will help - in outlook 2013/exchange 2010, searching in that field only searches the first name - not both. Searching for John finds John Smith, not Bob Johnson.

Ah... I don't think the problem is the email address format but the display name. You need to change the display name format in the AB.

Are you using Exchange server 2007?

Thanks for your reply.

Currently we run Exchange 2007 and have a plan to migrate to 2010 or 2013.

Do you mean we just need to play with username format?

Or we need to change usernames and then make forwarding oldname->newname?

LDAP is powering many applications where DBs use existing names. Change of the username will cause apps' DB disaster I am talking about.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Based on your other post (I should ask the admin to merge these two), you just want the display name order to be First Last - it's currently last first. Correct?

Exactly! We need to start searching by the firstname (currently by lastname) when picking the receipients.

Cached addresses are also requiring typing lastname to be found in cache.

Sorry, the creation of two topics was my mistake. Can delete the other topic.

On this -

LDAP is powering many applications where DBs use existing names. Change of the username will cause apps' DB disaster I am talking about.

Do they use the display name or the email address or alias? If the use the full email address or even just the alias, changing the display name won't affect them.

I'll look up the instructions for Exchange 2007.

Currently apps over LDAP use domain names 'lastname.firstname'.

See the example of a userlist of such an app attached.

Capture.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.