IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: cannot rename sytem folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

LKennedy

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I have been trying to troubleshoot an issue we are having on a couple of our terminals we use for the company I work for. Both use Outlook 2013 and both of them have an error box I cant seem to get to stop. Delete it, it comes back and the error boxes just keep stacking so when the individual logs on in the morning they have like 50 of them to delete. I have spent hours hour's reading through the forums and threads all of the internet trying to find a way to fix this issue. Both computers have windows 7, I went through godaddy with out any help and besides doing some drastic things like reinstalling Microsoft I could use some help. Anytime spend addressing this issue would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Re: IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: cannot rename sytem folde

did someone try to rename some folders? Try closing Outlook and deleting the imap data file then restart outlook.

If you know which folders kicked off the error, right click on the inbox, choose IMAP folders. Hit Query and unsubscribe from those folders.

I remoted into one of there terminals and deleted the IMAP data file and restarted Outlook but the error still showed up. I emailed the two individuals in an attempt to find out what folders they many have attempted to rename to try the second part of your suggestions. Is there anything else you can think of that might help in resolving this? Once again I want to thank you Diane for taking the time to address this with me your help is appreciated.

Even without knowing if they tried to rename folders, you could unsubscribe from all folders except the inbox, query the server then re-subscribe.

Is this a godaddy account? I've seen this complaint frequently and many report they are using godaddy.

Yes both of these accounts are through Godaddy and I was not impressed with there support in dealing with this issue. My phone call with them last a minute and a half with them telling me its not from there end it must be the terminal. I am going to attempt to unsubscribe from all of them like you suggested and see if it works.

First rule of Tech support seems to be "blame the other guy" :)

No one (who previously reported problems) seems to know what system folder the error is talking about - it's possible your users didn't try to rename anything. It's weird that only 2 users are affected - I'm assuming they all have the same build of outlook and same configuration.

The November updates made some changes to imap, one of which required a Root folder for many accounts. It might be worth checking that in File, Account Settings, double click on the account then More Settings, Advanced. Try using Inbox as the root, or remove it, if it's the root.

Well I attempted your fix by unsubscribing and resubbing and it seemed to work for a few mins but when I closed Outlook for a bit just to see if it would come back when I opened it up the error box showed up.

Dang. back to the drawing board on this one. I'll check with a contact at Microsoft and see if they've had calls on it.

Adding the root folder Inbox in the settings didn't work, it just removed just about all the folders in the mail box, even got rid of the trash bin.

It shouldn't have removed them, only moved them... remove the root to change it back.

Hi Diane im sorry to bug you but I was wondering if you could help me, when I put the the root thing in, all his folders did vanish or rooted them all to the inbox. Included in this was his favorites folder which had a lot of contact information. Is there a way of recovering this data? The only folders that were left after doing it was Inbox I think sent Items, there was only 4 the default folders. I would appreciate any help you could give me losing the data in that folder would be extremely devastating to the individual.

I'm having same problem (i.e., "IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: cannot rename system folders") & also only through GoDaddy which I have to use through 3rd party. What potentially seems troublesome is that when I right-click on the "Sent Items folder checking properties w/ Workspace Webmail it shows System Name: INBOX.Sent_Items noting here there's an underscore between "Sent" & "Items" (i.e., Sent_Items) however, when I do same in Outlook it is NOT underscored but when I try to change the folder in Outlook so that it is underscored it's not possible because Outlook says (i.e., it's grayed out) I can't change name or delete this and also when I try by going into Subscribed IMAP folder in Outlook to delete this folder, I receive warning msg that says, Cannot unsubscribe from folder. 'Sent Items is a special folder and cannot be unsubscribed in Outlook.

Gee whiz, makes sense but why not delete & then add back with the underscore OR why the disconnect between GoDaddy folder naming structure & Outlook?

This is VERY frustrating to continue to receive TONS of "IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: cannot rename system folders" error messages.

Would really appreciate help here. Thanks kindly.

Hi Diane im sorry to bug you but I was wondering if you could help me, when I put the the root thing in, all his folders did vanish or rooted them all to the inbox. Included in this was his favorites folder which had a lot of contact information. Is there a way of recovering this data? The only folders that were left after doing it was Inbox I think sent Items, there was only 4 the default folders. I would appreciate any help you could give me losing the data in that folder would be extremely devastating to the individual.

Hi LKennedy, did you find solution for this? I have the same problem and lost tons of emails.

I had to remove the email profile restart the computer and then link it again, it was a big pain the butt but I finally got the error boxs to stop popping up.

I'm having the same "cannot remove system folder" on 3 separate computers. I'm a heavy user of outlook, but not a computer expert. However, my computer expert hasn't been able to use any of the solutions above to solve this problem. Each computer uses three email accounts that have separate godaddy IMAP email domains. One computer is running Window 7 2010 home & business, one is running Windows 7 2010 ultimate and the third is running Windows 8.1 (it had been running Windows 8) with office 365. My iphone has the same email accounts but is not having this problem. HELP.

Status
Not open for further replies.