IMAP Subfolders missing after migrating to new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeenanGlass

Outlook version
Outlook 2011 for Mac
Email Account
POP3
A client of mine recently upgraded their hosting with Bluehost (BH), but inside one of the IMAP email accounts (Outlook 2010) there were two custom folders (with appx 50 subfolders) full of critical emails.

After the migration to the new server all of the subfolders and messages disappeared. BH Support checked the backup taken two weeks prior to the migration and states that the two custom folders are empty.

I don't know much about Outlook, but it sounds like the subfolders may not have been set up to be synced, so when Outlook synced to the "new" server, it erased anything not on the "new" server. But the part I don't understand about this idea is how the subfolders would have also been visible on an Android device if they were not synced.

Note: this is not an Exchange Server

Is it possible that the folders are still available, but not visible?

I read a similar thread where they might be able to recover these from the .pst file. If so, what is the simplest way to do so? I don't think they have a recent backup of the .pst file.

Should they start with making a copy of the .pst file? They really can't afford to screw this up, but they desperately need to recover these messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Newly created IMAP subfolders not showing up on email clients away from computer. Using Outlook 3
O Your IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: Cannot delete folder with subfolders. Using Outlook 4
A Downloading Comcast subfolders to Outlook via IMAP Using Outlook 1
P Yahoo/IMAP folder rename by Outlook desktop 365 Using Outlook 0
O Outlook - Switch from Exchange to IMAP Using Outlook 2
HarvMan Importing PST into IMAP account Using Outlook 12
S Email was migrated from GoDaddy to Microsoft exchange. We lost IMAP ability Exchange Server Administration 1
I Help with Smart Folder + Query Builder on IMAP Using Outlook 0
CWM550 Discussion for all: IMAP + Safety Using Outlook 3
P Copying ALL calendar entries from Calender in PST file to IMAP OST file? Using Outlook 1
TomHuckstep Remove Send/Receive All Folders (IMAP/POP) button from Outlook 365 Ribbon Using Outlook 2
C Trying to move messages between imap accounts/folders Using Outlook 5
R Outlook 2019 accesses POP3 but says its offline (because of IMAP servers?) Using Outlook 0
P "Item could not be moved" message occurs frequently for IMAP inbox, Office 365 Using Outlook 0
B Strange MAPI/Exchange/IMAP behaviour in OL 2016 under10.0.19044.2006 Using Outlook 0
B IMAP server rejects sent email - cannot deliver messages Using Outlook 2
P Comcast IMAP broken but their second level support said to call "the Outlook company" Using Outlook 4
C Outlook 2016 Unable to delete Gmail IMAP calendar Using Outlook 2
K Closing external IMAP email... Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
HarvMan Exporting IMAP OST file to PST Using Outlook 5
A Imap account not auto syncing inbox at startup Using Outlook 0
Z Remove GMAIL IMAP account from Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
Abraham Outlook 2013 Lost my folders when moving from PST to IMAP Using Outlook 11
I Outlook for Mac 2019 using on desktop and laptop IMAP on both need help with folders Using Outlook 1
G Outlook 2016: Want IMAP Data Files on My D: Drive and Not C: Drive Using Outlook 1
O Newbie question: how to sync two Outlook -Exchange and IMAP- calendars? Using Outlook 4
e_a_g_l_e_p_i A few question before I decide to switch to Pop from imap Using Outlook 9
P Sending email from outlook IMAP to GMAIL where embedded images are added as attachment Using Outlook 1
L IMAP Emails Disappear Using Outlook 0
V IMAP backup Using Outlook 0
B Emails get stuck in Outbox of Gmail IMAP in Outlook for Windows Using Outlook 0
K Imap PC Outlook + Android phone Using Outlook 1
S Outlook (2016 32bit; Gmail IMAP) - Save sent message to Outllook Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Terry Sullivan Sender's Name Doesn't Appear in the From Field on Outlook 365/IMAP Using Outlook 2
M Managing Gmail "All Mail" sync issues with IMAP Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2016 Moving IMAP emails to Exchange Using Outlook 1
K Outlook 2016 - controlling IMAP OST size with Group Policy not working Using Outlook 1
N Sent emails not reflected in all IMAP Folders Using Outlook 4
V Scheduled backup of imap account Using Outlook 7
glnz How set up new IMAP on Outlook-Office 365 and merge in pst from Outlook 2003 for same two email accounts? Using Outlook 5
David Langer Outlook 2016 (365) How to restore the ability to Re-Map iCloud IMAP Folders Using Outlook 5
D Outlook 2013 Yahoo IMAP Sync problems Using Outlook 1
P IMAP Folders Dialog Box Using Outlook 1
O How to recover rules after switch from POP3 to IMAP Using Outlook 2
O Benefits of Exchange over IMAP and why would I choose Exchange? Using Outlook 2
P Desktop doesn't index Outlook IMAP files, laptop Outlook does index those same IMAP files Using Outlook 2
B What is best IMAP .OST file to .PST file converter solutions? Using Outlook 1
I IMAP - are emails dynamically fetched from server as required? Using Outlook 2
I Convert POP3 account (PST) to IMAP (.OST) Using Outlook 3
Mark Foley Color Categories on IMAP mail lost when installing new Windows 7 workstation Using Outlook 12