IMAP Subfolders missing after migrating to new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeenanGlass

Outlook version
Outlook 2011 for Mac
Email Account
POP3
A client of mine recently upgraded their hosting with Bluehost (BH), but inside one of the IMAP email accounts (Outlook 2010) there were two custom folders (with appx 50 subfolders) full of critical emails.

After the migration to the new server all of the subfolders and messages disappeared. BH Support checked the backup taken two weeks prior to the migration and states that the two custom folders are empty.

I don't know much about Outlook, but it sounds like the subfolders may not have been set up to be synced, so when Outlook synced to the "new" server, it erased anything not on the "new" server. But the part I don't understand about this idea is how the subfolders would have also been visible on an Android device if they were not synced.

Note: this is not an Exchange Server

Is it possible that the folders are still available, but not visible?

I read a similar thread where they might be able to recover these from the .pst file. If so, what is the simplest way to do so? I don't think they have a recent backup of the .pst file.

Should they start with making a copy of the .pst file? They really can't afford to screw this up, but they desperately need to recover these messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Newly created IMAP subfolders not showing up on email clients away from computer. Using Outlook 3
O Your IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: Cannot delete folder with subfolders. Using Outlook 4
A Downloading Comcast subfolders to Outlook via IMAP Using Outlook 1
S Outlook (2016 32bit; Gmail IMAP) - Save sent message to Outllook Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Terry Sullivan Sender's Name Doesn't Appear in the From Field on Outlook 365/IMAP Using Outlook 2
M Managing Gmail "All Mail" sync issues with IMAP Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2016 Moving IMAP emails to Exchange Using Outlook 1
K Outlook 2016 - controlling IMAP OST size with Group Policy not working Using Outlook 1
N Sent emails not reflected in all IMAP Folders Using Outlook 4
V Scheduled backup of imap account Using Outlook 7
glnz How set up new IMAP on Outlook-Office 365 and merge in pst from Outlook 2003 for same two email accounts? Using Outlook 5
David Langer Outlook 2016 (365) How to restore the ability to Re-Map iCloud IMAP Folders Using Outlook 5
D Outlook 2013 Yahoo IMAP Sync problems Using Outlook 1
P IMAP Folders Dialog Box Using Outlook 1
O How to recover rules after switch from POP3 to IMAP Using Outlook 2
O Benefits of Exchange over IMAP and why would I choose Exchange? Using Outlook 2
P Desktop doesn't index Outlook IMAP files, laptop Outlook does index those same IMAP files Using Outlook 2
B What is best IMAP .OST file to .PST file converter solutions? Using Outlook 1
I IMAP - are emails dynamically fetched from server as required? Using Outlook 2
I Convert POP3 account (PST) to IMAP (.OST) Using Outlook 3
Mark Foley Color Categories on IMAP mail lost when installing new Windows 7 workstation Using Outlook 12
CWM030 Outlook 2016 with imap emails keep Resurrecting themselves? Using Outlook 5
CWM030 Archiving ON the imap server Using Outlook 3
Y Outlook not displaying all imap emails Using Outlook 5
Y IMAP errors with Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2016 IMAP Connection Returns All Email but outlook.com does NOT Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
Z Can't delete IMAP folder Using Outlook 2
GaryW88 2016 Archiving IMAP keeping mail on Gmail Server Using Outlook 1
N Error 0x80090326 when trying to setup IMAP account on Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
M cannot change delivery folders with IMAP accounts Using Outlook 0
E 365 Outlook changed from POP3 to IMAP,all contacts lost Using Outlook 3
O POP3 vs iMAP? Using Outlook 1
B How to 'really' delete IMAP emails? Using Outlook 6
K IMAP Server Wants to alert you to the following: cannpt rename system folder Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Setting up an Outlook.com IMAP account New Slipstick.com Articles 0
M 10 Imap gmail accounts into OL2016-32b want 1 calendar Using Outlook 3
Liz Schneider PST from Outlook 2013 is now IMAP folders in 2016 Using Outlook 10
L Gmail POP, Android IMAP, Outlook 2013 setup close Using Outlook 5
B IMAP folders don't update when Outlook 365 opens Using Outlook 0
J IMAP server Using Outlook 0
J Converted .ost to .pst: Want to Import and Reconnect with IMAP Email Account Using Outlook 2
GregS Import from Outlook.com .ost to IMAP .pst? Using Outlook 3
J Your IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: cannot remove system folder Using Outlook 3
M Outlook 2010 Error: Your IMAP server closed the connection Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
I Outlook 2016 and Slow access to Outlook.com IMAP Using Outlook 0
E POP vs IMAP on iDevices Using Outlook 3
H Need help setting up GetFolderPath-Makro with Vodafone IMAP Mail-Account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Mark Foley Where are Outlook categories save for IMAP? Using Outlook 12
M Cannot Delete Emails from IMAP inbox Using Outlook 4
Mark Foley Outlook prompts for IMAP user/PW when domain PW changes Using Outlook 0