Managing Gmail "All Mail" sync issues with IMAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr-B

Outlook version
Outlook 2019 64-bit
Email Account
IMAP
My Gmail box is full and I'm trying to thin it out using Outlook 2019 as an IMAP client.
The issue is that after I copy emails from Gmail to my local archive PST files, the emails stubbornly remain in Gmail's "All Mail".

My Outlook IMAP settings are as Gmail recommends and also:

When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:
Auto-Expunge on - Immediately update the server. (default)
When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:
Archive the message (default)

I've seen Sync Issues With My Gmail Account which is very similar but the thread ended without a solution for the issue about moving emails.

How can I use Outlook to manage All Mail (or get Gmail to accurately sync with Outlook with IMAP)?

FWIW I changed the Gmail IMAP settings to:

When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:
Auto-Expunge off - Wait for the client to update the server.

When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:
)
Move the message to the Bin

But it makes no difference when I move a msg from Inbox to a Personal Folder - the mail stubbornly remains in "All Mail".
So it seems that Outlook isn't telling IMAP to delete the msg after moving it. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
GregS Outlook 2016 Managing aliases in 365 Using Outlook 2
O :Managing contacts in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 0
S Managing shared malibox with multiple users. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M First post -help with managing two calendars Outlook 2010 /Exchange 2010 Using Outlook 0
T managing catergories and colors in shared contacts. Using Outlook 0
T managing contacts in public folders Using Outlook 4
C Managing & Merging .pst files Using Outlook 3
S Exam 77-884: Managing Contact Module Options Using Outlook 4
J Managing signatures and disclaimers with digitally signed emails Exchange Server Administration 3
P Managing Calendar Updates Using Outlook 2
A Managing GAL via OWA Exchange Server Administration 5
F Managing and parsing names other than main contact Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Need clarification on 2-Step Verification for Gmail using Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 10
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2021 not letting me setup my Gmail using pop Using Outlook 1
V Folder Properties - Gmail account can't switch Using Outlook 5
K Gmail not removed from server Using Outlook 3
K Moved pst to new computer, now Gmail not coming into Outlook Using Outlook 7
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Question about installing my Gmail account on my iPhone but still getting messages downloaded to my desktop Outlook. Using Outlook 3
J gmail and deleted emails. Using Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i question about 2-Step Verification with my gmail Using Outlook 0
D Gmail mail is being delivered to a different email inbox in Outlook App 2021 Using Outlook 2
Horsepower Cannot delete gmail in iPhone Outlook outbox Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2021 Having problem setting up outlook 2021 with windows 11. I have 3 gmail accounts and I want the 3 gmail, emails to merge into the same outlook input. Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
T Outlook 2019 Using Gmail aliases in Outlook Using Outlook 6
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is anyone else having problem conneccting to gmail? Using Outlook 27
T How to deal with Upcoming GMAIL changes Using Outlook 2
O Outlook 365 - Gmail and Outlook: how to force Outlook to start up in Gmail? Using Outlook 2
C Outlook 2016 Unable to delete Gmail IMAP calendar Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Can emails from Gmail be deleted when they are downloaded to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
Z Remove GMAIL IMAP account from Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
K Outlook 2019 Randomly Disconnecting from Gmail Servers Using Outlook 8
F Email being marked as Spam by Gmail and not being visible in Outlook Using Outlook 5
A Any way to make Outlook Calendar invitations look right to Gmail/Google Calendar users? Using Outlook 3
M Gmail address associated with Outlook on new phone Using Outlook 9
Cathy Rhone gmail listed multiple times Using Outlook 3
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Can someone explain syncing with Outlook and Gmail Using Outlook 3
e_a_g_l_e_p_i All of a sudden I lost connection to Gmail servers Using Outlook 8
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Gmail in Outlook 2010 preview issue Using Outlook 4
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2010 Help setting up Gmail account in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
P Sending email from outlook IMAP to GMAIL where embedded images are added as attachment Using Outlook 1
F Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 and GMail Using Outlook 0
A How to create fixed signatures for aliases that process through GMAIL? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Connecting Gmail to Outlook 365 - My Setup not working Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2016 how to use gmail account as source account for outlook 365 Using Outlook 9
B Emails get stuck in Outbox of Gmail IMAP in Outlook for Windows Using Outlook 0
R Microsoft Outlook 2016 - Gmail not sending, asks for password for SMTP, tried different ports Using Outlook 23
S Outlook (2016 32bit; Gmail IMAP) - Save sent message to Outllook Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Moved many emails to Outlook external folder, need to delete on Gmail server Using Outlook 14