intermittent "Your imap server closed the connection" messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejp

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I tried to investigate this error with other postings on this forum, but none yielded useful info, so an trying a new post. The config is Win7 on a 3 yr old Dell laptop, using IMAP on Outlook 2010 with iCloud and iTunes for iPad syncing. Since moving to IMAP from POP3, we are getting several random warning/error conditions including his one. However, it's not fatal; email will still send/receive, but it's annoying. One "fix" said something to the effect that I stayed away from the connection too long or left it open too long. don't get that. Do I need to remain glued to the laptop and repeatedly send/receive emails 24/7 to keep it open? Seems a bit awkward and un-user friendly.

Any suggestions?

Also, can I please get a sanity check on the settings on the attachment? I previously had the box checked for "use custom behavior......" but just changed it to what you see now on headers per another suggestion on this or another forum. And, can someone please explained what "subscribed folders" are. I have not knowingly subscribed to anything.

Thanks.

Attachments

• outlook capture.JPG
    outlook capture.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 1,150
In Outlook, right click on one of the folders in the imap account - choose IMAP Folders from the menu. Click Query button and you'll see all the folders on the server. The ones you are subscribed to are marked with a folder icon.

The imap close connector means just that - it closed the connection due to none use. Kinda like your computer going to sleep because you didn't use it for a while. It's not really an error - and to wake it up, you should just need to switch folders. Are you saving your password for the account? That will usually prevent this annoying message.

Two additional things to try:

File, Account settings, double click on the account then More Settings - Advanced tab. Raise the time out to the max.

If that fails, Go back to the Send and receive dialog and either raise or disable the scheduled send and receives for both online and offline. If Outlook is set to send immediately, you don't need a SR and mail will download when you change folders. Set it fairly high so it doesn't ping the server very often.

BTW, if you have pop accounts, put them in a different SR group that has automatic SR enabled.

I always save passwords and upped the time out to max of 10 min, but still get msg. Of course she leaves laptop idle for more than 10 min, so Don't understand what that timeout really means. If you could set it to, say, 10 hrs, it would make more sense, to me anyway.

Did not do this (below), however as did not understand the bold part. Outlook is set to receive on open, then every 5 min. Send on "send" button only. Never use offline mode. I'll go back and revisit that dialog box.

If that fails, Go back to the Send and receive dialog and either raise or disable the scheduled send and receives for both online and offline. If Outlook is set to send immediately, you don't need a SR and mail will download when you change folders. Set it fairly high so it doesn't ping the server very often.

Thanks for the near immediate reply after my initial post! I saw it then but got bogged down with other stuff, thus my late reply.

Change the 5 min setting to 10 minutes. Outlook should close the connection but if you have a lot of folders or mail to sync, it may start the next sync before the last sync was finished, which could cause the connection to stay open.

Who is your email host?

Change the 5 min setting to 10 minutes. Outlook should close the connection but if you have a lot of folders or mail to sync, it may start the next sync before the last sync was finished, which could cause the connection to stay open.

Who is your email host?

email host is ATT/Yahoo. just followed your suggestion to "either raise or disable the scheduled send and receives.....". Did the disable, maybe that will do it.

thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.