Signed/encrypted email management

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamCal

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
G'day! I searched the forums and online resources many times for an answer to this question but no luck. There is plenty of info on how to add a digital signature & encryption, but there's little info on removing or updating these 'layers' from individual Outlook items.

Background: I am an OL2010 user on a gov't system using certificates issued on a SmartCard called the DOD Common Access Card (CAC). CACs are updated periodically with updated certificates, resulting in proliferation of many different certificates for the same user. My job requires archiving my emails and attachments. Since 1998 I have many GBs of archived .PSTs containing encypted email and attachments, including my own (Sent items). After major updates to my computer, the certicate store is wiped and I must fetch the old certificates from a Central Key Repository and manually reinstalll them. Several dozen certicates must be manually reinstalled for me to be able to read my own archived email! When it's someone else's email then I have to go back and find their old certificates and reinstall them. It sounds easy enough but it is a real pain when I search for an important archived email and then find I cannot open it without yet another visit to the Key Repository. It occurs often enough that it is becoming a nuisance.

I do not have admin privileges on the computer (Win 7 64-bit, OL2101 32-bit).

Questions:

1) Is it possible for me to remove the signature and/or encytption layers from selected emails in my .PST?

2) What is the easiest way to "update" the signature and/or encytption layers using the latest certificates, so that I would only have to keep these installed?

I am absolutely, positively in no way trying to circumvent security! My job depends on following and enforcing the rules. I am only trying to re-encode everything to current published certificates so I do not have to re-install hundreds of older certs in order to open my archived emails.

Thank you!

/SamCal/

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
1. No.

2. Do you need to keep them in outlook? If not, I'd try a print archive - Acrobat has a nice thing they call a package and there are other archive utilities. . If you have GB of mail you need, this is probably not a good solution though.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I'm checking with some outlook developers to see if its possible using code + redemption, but my guess is they will say no.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Should have checked before replying...

If the message is clear signed then removing the cert's easy; just strip the attachment.

if it's opaque-signed, you'd have to verify the signature to get the clear text of the message, then resave it.
and - to do it using code - so I was wrong about them saying no. Now to find a code sample for you. (Assuming you can run code.)

RDOEncryptedMessage.GetDecryptedMessage() returns an unencrypted RDOMail object, if that’s what you want. Those can be stored or even used to replace the original item. Various properties of RDOEncryptedMessage provide the certificate and encryption settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Sending encrypted signed mail using outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
D Very slow when digitally signed Exchange Server Administration 0
B unable to open signed emails Using Outlook 1
J Managing signatures and disclaimers with digitally signed emails Exchange Server Administration 3
N outlook 2007 slow with signed e-mails Using Outlook 1
B Access to the resource was denied. If you have signed into and saved your __Windows Live ID with a w Using Outlook 1
C An attachment is not visible when an Exchange Server 2010 user opens a signed mail message by using Exchange Server Administration 1
N outlook 2007 slow with signed e-mail tumbleweed Using Outlook 1
Y Digitally signed emails creating attachments Using Outlook 2
K Access to the resources was denied. If you have signed into and saved your Windows Live ID with a We Using Outlook 1
P How do I stop Outlook 2000 randomly encrypting digitally signed emails Using Outlook 1
D RSS feed error and problem with digitally signed messages Using Outlook 1
S Digitally signed email body is blank Using Outlook 3
L How to publish OWA 2010 on TMG 2010 and use self signed certificates? Exchange Server Administration 7
S Internal Outlook clients see the public SSL not the self signed one and generate a warning. Exchange Server Administration 5
W Encrypted connection to server refused Using Outlook 0
U outlook 2010 freezes/crashes when opening encrypted e-mails Using Outlook 0
K received bcc as encrypted Using Outlook 12
P Forwarding Email With Encrypted Attachment Exchange Server Administration 1
T Outlook 2010 encrypted connection type choices, meaning of Auto? Using Outlook 0
S Unable to open old encrypted emails under a new Windows profile Using Outlook 8
S OWA users are unable to view encrypted attachments Using Outlook 1
B Autodiscover error 0x800c8203 and encrypted connection is not available Exchange Server Administration 3
A Encrypted emails open as empty emails in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
C Upgraded version of Outlook cannot open previously viewable encrypted messages. Using Outlook 1
C Upgraded version of Outlook cannot open previously viewable encrypted messages. Using Outlook 3
S How to decript an encrypted email so it is save unencrypted? Using Outlook 9
R AN ENCRYPTED CONNECTION TO YOUR MAIL SERVER IS NOT AVAILABLE. CLICK NEXT TO ATTEMPT USING AN UNENCRY Using Outlook 2
R Unable to send Encrypted emails Using Outlook 1
A Encrypted email with Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 8
I Outlook 2007 Cannot send encrypted emails to certain recipients Using Outlook 3
S How to determine if message will be encrypted on Send Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Sending email from Office 365 alias in Outlook Using Outlook 4
S Macro or plug-in to see if specific person was included in this email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Body text of Email from invite date/time Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
R Outlook 2010 How do you export 2 email Accounts' 2010 Inbox Files to new computer (2019)? Using Outlook 1
R Auto display of new email does not work on non-default account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Automatically forward email and apply template Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Outlook saved email templates Using Outlook 1
B VBA to convert email to task, insert text of email in task notes, and attach copy of original email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
T How can you include Junk Email in Search Results like you can include Deleted Items? Using Outlook 3
B Extracting email addresses from a folder - how to also get the name of the person the address is for? Using Outlook 5
W Replyin to the reply-to email address Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E How to display "Change Folder" in Change Default Email Delivery Location in Exchange Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
M Extract all links from Outlook email, send to Excel Using Outlook 2
O Forward a email with modified body Automatically. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B Outlook 2003 email sending & receiving suddenly stopped working Using Outlook 3
R List folders in a combo box + select folder + move emails from inbox to that folder + reply to that email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O Email not leaving Outbox when using Excel VBA to sync Outlook account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
T The non-email functions Using Outlook 8