Status
Not open for further replies.

botter_bao

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
The run a script function stopped unexpectedly in Outlook2007

Hi pals,

I encountered a problem that I found the function of "run a script" is disabled suddenly in my outlook2007, here is the details:

At the beginning, the "run a script" func works fine, and I'm very happy. But about half day later, I found it refused to work! I think I did nothing except adjusted the priority of the rule (by using the up and down arrows). So I changed back its position to the top, but not recovered. I also reboot my computer, and also failed.

Then I started a new rule which is a very simple stub:

Sub test(Item As Outlook.MailItem)
MsgBox "haha"

End Sub

The result is disappointing -- it doesn't work either. I found a similar question before, the link is Problem Getting Outlook 2007 Running VBA Script. As bob-the-destroyer said, it might be a problem of the outlook it self... I just wonder if any more actions could cause this failure? Do I have any more method to troubleshoot this problem? Thanks very much!

P.S. I've changed the Security level to "Warnings for all macros".

Re: The run a script function stopped unexpectedly in Outlook2007

I'd set macro security to low for testing.

The rule was not disabled but the script wasn't running, correct?

Do you get a lot of mail? If so, rules can be problematic - they may stop working for a time then restart. ItemAdd is a little more efficient and newmailex is better. How to process incoming messages in Microsoft Outlook

I'd set macro security to low for testing.

The rule was not disabled but the script wasn't running, correct?

Do you get a lot of mail? If so, rules can be problematic - they may stop working for a time then restart. ItemAdd is a little more efficient and newmailex is better. How to process incoming messages in Microsoft Outlook

Hi Diane,

Thanks very much for your quick help, and I'll try it as your guidance. The rule is not disabled, just seems the scirpt isn't triggered by the coming of the new mail (I think the rule works fine since I used the "stop processing more rules", and the incoming mail stayed in the Inbox therefore).

And the traffic of the mail is very low, actually the mail for which I wanna use this script rules will arrive once a week : )

It not so much how often the script runs but how much mail needs to be tested by the script. Because you are presumably restarting outlook now and again between runs, one would expect it to work. At this point I'm out of ideas. Sorry.

It not so much how often the script runs but how much mail needs to be tested by the script. Because you are presumably restarting outlook now and again between runs, one would expect it to work. At this point I'm out of ideas. Sorry.

Hi Diane,

Thanks a lot for your continuous help on this trouble, and I got this problem resolved by updating the certificate that suggested from this thread: outlook 2007 vba code won't run in Windows 7 - Microsoft Community , FYI.

---------------------------------------For a workaround, in the Office folder you will find selfcert.exe which will enable you to create a certificate for your own macros.

Having done that, set the macro security in Outlook to provide warnings for all macros. Allow the macros at the security warning when you see it.

From the Outlook VBA editor > Tools > Digital Signatures, add your newly created signature to the project.

Close Outlook saving the project at the warning.

Re-open Outlook and you will again get a security prompt for the vbaproject. From that dialog choose the option to trust items from the publisher (your certificate).

---------------------------------------BTW, my Outlook version is 2007 SP3 (12.0.6661.5003), my OS version is Win7 (6.1.7601 SP1 build 7601). Thanks for your kindly help again.:cool:

Yeah, that is why I don't sign macros and use the low / no warning setting - I'm changing them too often and re-signing them is a PITA.

Yeah, that is why I don't sign macros and use the low / no warning setting - I'm changing them too often and re-signing them is a PITA.

Hi Diane,

I found the root cause that why I set the macro security to low but also failed to make the script activated yesterday... That's really foolish -- I forgot to restart the Outlook -_-! And I tried it again just now, and found the script also works fine without any certificate loaded. Thanks a lot for your reminder!

Status
Not open for further replies.