UserForm Code For Contact Links

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any update today from the Smart Woman???? ;) In the past you have given me the full code to copy and paste to the VBA....and this time, I do need the full code based on what I showed you and you know what to put and where!!!! And I would be very excited to get this done!!! ;)

I was given the following from someone that sorts the combobox for Categories....so if you see this, what should I do to sort the combobox for the Contacts that show up:

He changed the Private Sub UserForm_Initialize() and added a Function below it

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
'The loads the Outlook userform and populates the combobox of contact folders.

Dim objOutlook As Outlook.Application
Dim objNS As Outlook.NameSpace
Dim objFolder As Outlook.MAPIFolder
Dim Category
' Declare variable to use
Dim arrCategories() ' the array
Dim i As Long
Dim lngCount As Long
Dim arrSorted() As Variant ' Results of sorting held here
Dim First As Integer
Dim Last As Integer

Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

' Initialize i to zero
i = 0 ' Used later when populating array

' Determine what size the array will be
lngCount = Application.Session.Categories.Count

' Resize array with determined size
ReDim arrCategories(lngCount)
ReDim arrSorted(lngCount)
' Start populating array with categories
For Each Category In Application.Session.Categories
arrCategories(i) = Category
i = i + 1
Next
' Call the sorting function and store the sorted array in variable
arrSorted = f_SortArray(arrCategories)

' Using the newly sorted array as the source to the drop-down, traverse it adding
' elements as items to drop-down list
First = LBound(arrSorted)
Last = UBound(arrSorted)
For i = First To Last - 1
Me.ddlCategories.addItem arrSorted(i)
Next i
' The drop-down list should now be sorted
' Take this model in your ddlContacts_Change event

End Sub

Function f_SortArray(ArrayToSort() As Variant) As Variant

Dim First As Integer
Dim Last As Integer
Dim i As Integer
Dim j As Integer
Dim Temp As String

First = LBound(ArrayToSort)
Last = UBound(ArrayToSort)
For i = First To Last - 1
For j = i + 1 To Last
If ArrayToSort(i) > ArrayToSort(j) Then
Temp = ArrayToSort(j)
ArrayToSort(j) = ArrayToSort(i)
ArrayToSort(i) = Temp
End If
Next j
Next i
f_SortArray = ArrayToSort

End Function

I sent another email. And would love to hear back from the Smart Woman!!

I'm not that smart. :)

This is part of what needs changed (plus some category stuff later in the code):

you need to count contacts

lngCount = Application.Session.Categories.Count

lngCount = MyContacts.items.Count

(lngCount = MyItem.Count might work too)
' Resize array with determined size
arrCategories is just the variable for the array, no need ot change it, except to avoid confusion.
ReDim arrCategories(lngCount)
ReDim arrSorted(lngCount)
' Start populating array with categories

this needs changed,

For Each Category In Application.Session.Categories

to

For Each MyItem In MyContacts

As to lngCount = MyContacts.items.Count or lngCount = MyItem.Count , do I replace lngCount = Application.Session.Categories.Count? And then do I just replace For Each Category In Application.Session.Categories with For Each MyItem In MyContacts arrCategories(i) = Category ? And does that affect the sorting of the Categories or just update for both Categories and Contacts to be sorted?

And can you just make all the changes you suggest and anything else as you said needs to adjusted re Categories, so I can just copy and past it and see if it works or tell you the errors etc.??? Thanks so much to he Smart Woman!!!;)

yes, replace the lngCout line with one of the ones i suggested and see if it works.

The function will work with contacts and categories and each one has it's own macro. I don't know if it will affect the category sorting, it shouldn't though. I don't have multiple contacts folders and didn't test it.

And then do I just replace For Each Category In Application.Session.Categories with For Each MyItem In MyContacts arrCategories(i) = Category ?

I tried both ways and error is 424 "Object required"

Possible update tonight?

No, mostly because i cant figure out what object is missing. Unless you don't have a dim statement for one of the objects.

If you look real quick at the full code per what you gave me to add, what added dim doi put in please??

That's why I'm not sure what object is missing - the code looks good. I'm obviously missing something though. Try adding

dim myitem as object

don't know if its the board software, but

needs to be on it's own line, not one line with For Each MyItem In MyContacts

Thank you. But as I repeat, i don't understand it all. Please give me the specific code lines and where exactly where to put them as I don't understand the concepts.

Any full update so I have the code which already sorts the Categories and you update the full code to sort the Contacts from all folders together....any chance today or tomorrow?

No, no update because i can't get anything to work. I have no idea what I'm missing - it's really above my level of expertize.

Got it....and just in case you figure it out, please let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.