mailto replication in Outlook Contact Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCMarin

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
So after years and several versions of Outlook including through Outlook 2013 the replication of URLs and email addresses continues in the Contacts Notes section. This is happening with a majority of my clients and with my contacts as well. I have to routinely remove the dozens of duplicated email addresses which eventually fill up the notes section. Specifically an email address in the notes section like user@domain.com turns into user@domain.com <mailto: user@domain.com <mailto: user@domain.com <mailto: user@domain.com >>> . This replication sometimes goes on for dozens of times. This was the original issue mentioned in earlier thread but I don't see that it has been addressed here or anywhere else. Does anyone have a solution yet to this annoying bug?

So after many years and several versions of Outlook including through Outlook 2016 the replication of URLs and email addresses continues in the Contacts Notes section. This is happening with a majority of my clients and with my contacts as well. I have to routinely remove the dozens of duplicated email addresses which eventually fill up the notes section. Specifically an email address in the notes section like user@domain.com turns into user@domain.com <mailto: user@domain.com <mailto: user@domain.com <mailto: user@domain.com >>> . This replication sometimes goes on for dozens of times. This was the original issue mentioned in earlier thread but I don't see that it has been addressed here or anywhere else. Does anyone have a solution yet to this annoying bug?

I have seen this problem referred to in many forums, I have it myself, and yet there is a deafening silence from Microsoft! If anybody has any solution we would all love to hear it!

I have seen this problem referred to in many forums, I have it myself, and yet there is a deafening silence from Microsoft! If anybody has any solution we would all love to hear it!
One workaround here is to cut all the superfluous "mailto" text from the notes section and paste it into Notepad (this will turn it into plain text.) Then edit it to remove the offending mailto content and paste it back into the Notes section of the contact. This will remove the link formatting, and allow the notes to remain clean.

There really isn't a good solution - it happens during sync process when the other side doesn't support HTML/RTF formatting. Syncing with smartphones or icloud can cause it - syncing Outlook desktop to and from Exchange (including outlook.com and office 365) should be ok (as long as your aren't also syncing with a phone), although if you used outlook.com before the migration to office 365, you need to fix the notes first- they won't fix themselves.

Beeeaters suggestion is good - clean up the notes in notepad and paste them back in. Do one or two as a test and see if they stay formatted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G <mailto:user@domain.com<mailto:user@domain.com<mailto:user@domain.com>>> Using Outlook 5
V Using custom field data in mail body + mailto hyperlink Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
R Mailto link inside Outlook 2010 being cached? Using Outlook 1
Witzker HYPERLINK "mailto:test@test.com" in form body Using Outlook 21
mrje1 mailto links in browsers don't open up outlook email Using Outlook 2
R Some Mailto items dont work Using Outlook 3
G Wrong display name in from column when removing pf replication Exchange Server Administration 1
P Public folder replication between Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 11
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 9
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2019 is no longer asking for password ... Using Outlook 5
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
M Synchronization and backup of Outlook from local to server. Using Outlook 8
T How to get an EVENT COLOR option in Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 0
K How can I delete an e-mail from Outlook Using Outlook 1
V Outlook Error The Attempted operation Failed. An Object Could Not be found Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Yahoo/IMAP folder rename by Outlook desktop 365 Using Outlook 0
A Outlook 2019 folder counter Using Outlook 0
A Relocate Search Bar in Outlook Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Need clarification on 2-Step Verification for Gmail using Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 10
L Opening People Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2021 not letting me setup my Gmail using pop Using Outlook 1
Geldner Problem submitting SPAM using Outlook VBA Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P VBA to add email address to Outlook 365 rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Outlook 2016 outlook vba to look into shared mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Can no longer sync Outlook with iPhone calendar after iPhone update to 17.1.1 Using Outlook 7
O Outlook - Switch from Exchange to IMAP Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is it possible to have a reminder in Outlook 2021 for every 90 days Using Outlook 3
farrissf Outlook 2016 Optimizing Email Searches in Outlook 2016: Seeking Insights on Quick Search vs Advanced Search Features Using Outlook 0
C Advanced search terms for "Outlook Data File" Using Outlook 1
N Reply to Outlook messages by moving messages to a specific Outlook folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O How to find out the domain and server settings that my Outlook is using? Using Outlook 2
A Outlook 365 (OutLook For Mac)Move "On My Computer" Folder Items From Old To New Mac Computer Using Outlook 3
H Integrating Alexa & Outlook Pro 2021 Using Outlook 2
Z Automatically adjust Outlook Reading Pane from bottom to right depending on portrait or landscape window Using Outlook 1
Rupert Dragwater Background colors not saving in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 15