Is anyone else having problem conneccting to gmail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

e_a_g_l_e_p_i

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Late last night I started to get the Outlook login box every time Outlook 2021 checked the Gmail servers. IN the past with my ISP I would get this same thing and it was always that they were having email issues in my area. Nothing has changed in my settings or to my system so I'm thinking Gmail might be having some issues with email today. is anyone else getting this box every time their Outlook tried to connect to gmail to download any mail??

Last edited by a moderator:
***UPDATE***
The proble isn't with gmail, I am able to get email when using gmail on the web. The problem is something between Outlook 2021 and the Gmail servers. As I said nothing at all has changed in my outlook 2021 since I installed it many months ago and I ahve been getting mail without any issues. this all started late last night.

HELP Diane?????

I got a message in outlook 2021 when sending and recieving new messages that the server rejected your login, check your email and password to make sure they are correct. So I thought maybe if I change my password it will fix it. I went to google account and chnaged the email password. I tried to login to gmail with the new password and it logged me in.

So I went back to Outlook 2021 clicked on file then account settings and chose to update password. I pasted the new password in the new password space just as I did for Gmail. Then the window I posted above shows up and then in the password change spot it stops and then says something went wrong, Ill post the window below.

password change.jpg

There is something wrong with Outlook 2021 if I couldn't login to Gmail webmail using the same login password I would think it was Gmail but I can. there is a reason Outlook isn't able to communicate with Gmail and rejects my email address or password.

@e_a_g_l_e_p_i

I came here to this site because I thought it would be bombarded with the exact same post you've made as exactly the same has happened to me which started yesterday. I did have an email from Google a few months ago about some 'services' may no longer work with 3rd part Apps due to changes Google were making - in particular, in the email was something to do with enabling 2-stage verification (to help protect your Apps/Account against hackers) and to make your account more secure. I need to find that email! I suspect whatever the changes Google have made are stopping Outlook connecting to GMail.

I can't believe that Google would make Gmail so that the millions of people and business' that use Outlook with Gmail would no longer be able to use Outlook. It may be you might have to upgrade to a newer version of Outlook but I am doing everything I can to figure this out. When I find an answer I will post it in this forum. Don't give up !!

Okay after hours of research I have found a way that my Outlook 2021 can log in to Gmail. Here is what you have to do.

1. login to your Google Account, if you are logged into Gmail on the web on the top right side you'll see your avatar, click on it and select "manage Google Account" this will bring you to your Google Account. on the left side click on "security" then in the middle scroll down until you see "Signing into Google" There w you will have to enable 2-step verification then under that section is "App Passwords" click on that and you will have to log in with your Gmail password. Once logged in you will see a "Select App" dropdown and "select Device" dropdown. I clicked on "select App and chose "other" which gives you the choice to choose "custom" which lets you name the app instead of using the listed ones of mail, calendar, contacts, etc.

I named my sign-in app Outlook 2021 and I got the password without ever having to choose the device. Then I opened Outlook 2021 and when the login box pops up just highlight the password *'s and delete, then paste in the app password you just generated on Gmail, then click "OK"

Once I clicked "OK" after pasting the app password all the mail that couldn't download downloaded right away and I have not had any issues since. I can only verify that it worked for me using Outlook 2021, I read it works on 2019 but I can verify that.

I hope this helps people continue to use Outlook to access their Gmail.

Okay after hours of research I have found a way that my Outlook 2021 can log in to Gmail. Here is what you have to do.

1. login to your Google Account, if you are logged into Gmail on the web on the top right side you'll see your avatar, click on it and select "manage Google Account" this will bring you to your Google Account. on the left side click on "security" then in the middle scroll down until you see "Signing into Google" There w you will have to enable 2-step verification then under that section is "App Passwords" click on that and you will have to log in with your Gmail password. Once logged in you will see a "Select App" dropdown and "select Device" dropdown. I clicked on "select App and chose "other" which gives you the choice to choose "custom" which lets you name the app instead of using the listed ones of mail, calendar, contacts, etc.

I named my sign-in app Outlook 2021 and I got the password without ever having to choose the device. Then I opened Outlook 2021 and when the login box pops up just highlight the password *'s and delete, then paste in the app password you just generated on Gmail, then click "OK"

Once I clicked "OK" after pasting the app password all the mail that couldn't download downloaded right away and I have not had any issues since. I can only verify that it worked for me using Outlook 2021, I read it works on 2019 but I can verify that.

I hope this helps people continue to use Outlook to access their Gmail.

I followed what you said to do but once I get to where you say enable 2-step verification, I don't have "App Passwords'. I've been through all the settings I can see and nothing I see in there matches what you've said.

You should see it right under 2 step verification, here is a screenshot.

app passworrd.jpg

>>
1. login to your Google Account, if you are logged into Gmail on the web on the top right side you'll see your avatar, click on it and select "manage Google Account" this will bring you to your Google Account. on the left side click on "security" then in the middle scroll down until you see "Signing into Google" There w you will have to enable 2-step verification then under that section is "App Passwords"
<<
This is only needed if you are using POP - Outlook 2021 (2016 and newer) will connect to Gmail IMAP without requiring 2-step or an app password.

Yeah, what she said :) I am using pop and should have mentioned that.

You should see it right under 2 step verification, here is a screenshot.

View attachment 3613

Yes I see that screen ok - however, I'm unsure as to how 2-Step verification works because firstly I don't want to have to receive a text message to my phone every time I check my email (GMail) and the other option is to use a code - but the next screen asks me to insert a USB device? What does that mean? I have to insert a USB device every time I want to check my email?

It is interesting to read what @Diane Poremsky mentioned in your reply. She said "This is only needed if you are using POP - Outlook 2021 (2016 and newer) will connect to Gmail IMAP without requiring 2-step or an app password".

I'm using IMAP to connect my Outlook for sending/receiving emails ... and it's Outlook 2010 I'm using.

Yes I see that screen ok - however, I'm unsure as to how 2-Step verification works because firstly I don't want to have to receive a text message to my phone every time I check my email (GMail) and the other option is to use a code - but the next screen asks me to insert a USB device? What does that mean? I have to insert a USB device every time I want to check my email?

It is interesting to read what @Diane Poremsky mentioned in your reply. She said "This is only needed if you are using POP - Outlook 2021 (2016 and newer) will connect to Gmail IMAP without requiring 2-step or an app password".

I'm using IMAP to connect my Outlook for sending/receiving emails ... and it's Outlook 2010 I'm using.
The 2 step verification would only send you a text if you or anyone else tries to sign in your email account from a diffferent device. As to what Diane said, I guess all you'd have to do is upgrade to a newer version. Here is a tip. DO NOT buy it from these online places that offer low low prices. I tried that and couldn't get it install becasue the key has been activated too many times. these places sell the same key many times so be careful. I bought Office 2021 from Amazon.com for about $220 well with it since it will last 10 years easy. just my opinion.

You have POP in your profile... FC has IMAP. Not that people can change and not update their profile (or be like spammers and pick the first options).... but unless something in the text leads me to think otherwise, I'll go with it. :)

1654694451324.png

Only Outlook 2016 and newer support oAuth2, which is what is needed when allow less secure apps is turned off. So you will need to use 2-step verification and then use an app password in Outlook in place of your password.

Outlook is very good about remembering the app password -so once you set it up, you shouldn't have problems. Even on the versions that properly support 2 step, they ask for confirmation once. Windows 10/11 even remembers the confirmation and will usually let you create a new profile and not ask for it again for Outlook.

But that is only in the newest versions... you will need to use the app password in outlook -should only be asked for it once, but if you make a new profile, you'll need to get a new app password.

@e_a_g_l_e_p_i
@Diane Poremsky

I've got it working again!

So I did it this way ... deleted my Gmail account from Outlook 2010, logged into Google and went through the process of enabling 2-Step verification, added 'Mail' in the 'Apps' and then and re-created the Gmail account again ... Outlook successfully created the Gmail account. All now working again just fine! Thanks to you both for the information and help. Much appreciated.

Same Gmail with Outlook-2021 problem here recently.

Thanks for the posts and help. I will try and report back. Sounds similar to required account-config for an Apple/iCloud email account.

Not sure why iOS Apple Mail on iPhone is still working (also 3rd party) but I expect I have it setup there as IMAP.

But with Outlook, I've always setup Gmail as POP3 (because they previously allow it ... if you know the proper secure servers and authorization-settings). Serves it's purpose (gets any important Gmail emails into Outlook, and allows me to send from Outlook as well). For me, Gmail is used for secondary . Almost like a "Junk Mail Account" but as we know ... even those sometimes have important emails delivered there.

On other devices (iPhone and iPad) I use IMAP. As you know, that's a complete copy of everything in the account (including old emails). Works fine for that. But I don't think I need a whole copy of what's up there stuck in my Outlook PST file (it's big enough already).

If you have Gmail set up as POP account, you need to enable two-step verification and then use an app password in Outlook (all version). Update the password (using the app password) in File > Account Settings > Update password if the enter password dialog does not come up.

Outlook and Gmail's Less Secure Apps Setting

Gmail IMAP in Outlook 2016 and newer does not require two step and an app password.

If you have Gmail set up as POP account, you need to enable two-step verification and then use an app password in Outlook (all version). Update the password (using the app password) in File > Account Settings > Update password if the enter password dialog does not come up.

Outlook and Gmail's Less Secure Apps Setting

Gmail IMAP in Outlook 2016 and newer does not require two step and an app password.

Worked fine. Thanks for the help.

Just like you posted (and in your Blog post and video).

I have the same problem here for a few weeks. Tried everything. I will read this and try it. THANKS

I have the same problem here for a few weeks. Tried everything. I will read this and try it. THANKS
As Diane said above you need to login to your Google account and setup enable two-step verification, here is how to do it.
Turn on 2-Step Verification
  1. Open your Google Account.
  2. In the navigation panel, select Security.
  3. Under “Signing in to Google,” select 2-Step Verification. Get started.
  4. Follow the on-screen steps.
Then seyp the password app.

Create & use App Passwords
  1. Go to your Google Account.
  2. Select Security.
  3. Under "Signing in to Google," select App Passwords. You may need to sign in. ...
  4. At the bottom, choose Select app and choose the app you using Select device and choose the device you're using. ...
  5. Follow the instructions to enter the App Password. ...
  6. Tap Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.