Is anyone else having problem conneccting to gmail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why iOS Apple Mail on iPhone is still working (also 3rd party) but I expect I have it setup there as IMAP.
Yes, its because its IMAP.

Well, I thought I would give this another go today. I do have a question, what is meant by "app password"?

It's a special password that is intended to only be used once, in place of your real password. You can revoke app passwords without changing your real password.

With gmail, apple, and Microsoft you need to have 2-step authentication enabled. Yahoo doesn't require 2-step but does require app passwords.

This is google's explanation -

Hello:
First post here, specifically to respond to this thread.

I have been using Outlook 2019 with POP Gmail configured for over a year without issue. Beginning 7/18/22 my Gmail account will not connect to pop.gmail.com through Outlook, triggering send/receive error 0x800CCC0F: The connection to the server was interrupted. If I remove the account and attempt to recreate it, Outlook reports 'The connection to the incoming (POP) or (IMAP) server was dropped.'

Google retired their 'less secure devices' option back on May 30th, and POP/IMAP connections now require OAuth 2.0 (OAuth2). My Google account has been using 2-Factor Authentication since long before then, and my pop.gmail.com account configured within Outlook has used an app password for over a year. Unfortunately, neither Outlook 2016 nor Outlook 2019 support this security protocol. From what I have read, neither does Outlook 2021.

I even generated new app passwords to help troubleshoot, but the connection continues to drop with Outlook before it ever actually authenticates my account. Meanwhile, Mozilla Thunderbird works fine as it has OAuth2 as an option in the account setup, but is not a preferred replacement.

I will test it- but it should work with the app password. I have a client on Outlook 2007 that uses a macro from processing incoming mail so I hope they don't kill off pop. :(

Did you verify that pop was still enabled in gmail settings?

First post here, specifically to respond to this thread.
Welcome to the forum.
I have been using Outlook 2019 with POP Gmail configured for over a year without issue.
Beginning 7/18/22 my Gmail account will not connect to pop.gmail.com through Outlook,

I even generated new app passwords to help troubleshoot, but the connection continues to drop with Outlook before it ever actually authenticates my account.

Yes, it will try to be broken, but It can definitely be configured to work. See my previous two posts in this thread.

I expect that you have something slightly mis-configured, like maybe the email servers or other switches on those Outlook-2021 screens. IIRC, there is also stuff to do at gmail.com. Let us know and we can try to help you.

@stuartjames

Yes you are correct. So for anyone wanting to add a GMail account to Outlook 2010 (and possibly to Outlook 2019 and another other Outlook version), you will need to add and use an 'App Password' and not your own.

The Outlook login box appeared every time Outlook 2022 checked the Gmail servers late last night. This was always the case with my ISP when they were having email issues in my area in the past. There has been no change to my settings or system, so I suspect Gmail is experiencing some problems with email this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.