Master Category List / Contacts Public Folder Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOR

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
Exchange 2007 & Outlook 2007

I'm hopeing someone can offer advice on how to manage/share a Master Category List used for Public Folder Contacts among users. We have ~ 80 users, with 7 of these being administrative support. The general user group is spread across departments and divisions of our company and they tend to think of their work and their contacts as silos, ie., that one department's contacts will not overlap another's. This is far from the truth and we're attempting to consolidate these contact records. Currently, each department maintains a PF with 'their' categorized contacts and anyone in the department can add/edit/delete. Our intent is to move toward a system wherein all business contacts are stored in a common PF where only the admin staff have the ability to modify the contents. Because of the nature of our business, I anticipate we will need in excess of 100 categories, and would like to be able to, at a minumum, push a list to the admin staff.

I've used Outlook Spy to find where the MCL lives (in my default calendar) and am wondering:
  1. If it can be distributed to other users?
  2. If so, what might the process be?
  3. If distributed only to admins, will the general user group be able to easily sort/filter/search by categories?
  4. What disadvantages may be associated with what I'd like to do?
  5. Is there a better way to do this?
Thanks in advance,

Tony

you can push categories out using group policy, but not colors - the categories may be assigned different colors for each person. In the group policy ADM, its under outlook options, miscellaneous. (You can get the adm in the office resource kit)

tools listed at http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/olcat.asp might be useful.

Diane,

Thanks for your reply. I will look at the tools to which you pointed me and work with our network admin on the GP side. If I have any more questions regarding this I'll post back.

Again, thanks; I appreciate the assistance.

Tony

Diane,

Thanks for your reply. I will look at the tools to which you pointed me and work with our network admin on the GP side. If I have any more questions regarding this I'll post back.

Again, thanks; I appreciate the assistance.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Could you advise on how exactly you have solved this issue ?

I have a similar problem : Public Folder - 1 user who id's category and other users who should be able to see this for their folow up.

Please let me know,

thanks,

Lieve

Colors categories are per user, so you need to push the colors out using a tool (see the list at Color Categories). Categories can be added using group policy, if you want users to assign their own colors or use the defaults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Outlook Rules not show Master Category List Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
M Searching for categories not in the master category list Using Outlook 3
R Restore Master Category List Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 7
Z Re: Programming custom Categories into Master Categories List Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
farrissf Category list to pick from Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
B Outlook 2019 Automatically move email after assigning category Using Outlook 4
F Add a category before "Send an Email When You Add an Appointment to Your Calendar" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
V Macro to mark email with a Category Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Emails assigned with a certain category (within a shared inbox) to be copied to a specific folder. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Clear one category when another is chosen Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A VBA Script - Print Date between first email in Category X and last email in Category Y Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R Auto Assign Category colours to Incoming Emails based on whom the email is addressed Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A Unflag Inbox and Flag Inbox with Orange Category After Item is send Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
bhamberg Contacts in a category Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
K Custom Category Colors Using Outlook 2
4 Macro to set the category of Deleted Item? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
K Update Appointment category when changed in Excel Using Outlook 3
soadfan assign category (VBA) Using Outlook 7
J Automatic color category according to variable domains Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Diane Poremsky Category Color doesn't Display in Inbox Using Outlook 0
Wolfkc Unwanted Category "Starred in Android" Using Outlook 6
M receive mail when appointment category changes and create task from appointment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
N VBA Outlook reference to Excel and assigning category Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 13
A recover contact category assignments Using Outlook 4
A Grouping emails using "From" causes a None Category Using Outlook 5
William getting custom form to load category colors Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Diane Poremsky Categorize Messages using Contact Category Using Outlook 0
T Macro to find contacts by category and copy them to another folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 15
bifjamod Saving sent email to specific folder based on category with wildcard Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
K Outlook 2010 - Set the category based on category of other emails in same conversatio Using Outlook 20
A How are you handling Outlook.com category issue and syncing Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
T default category Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R click to toggle quick click category reasigns to where ? Using Outlook 2
L Change Category in a Task via macro Using Outlook 8
K Help! I selected every contact and mistakenly made them all the same category Using Outlook 1
R Filter Views by Category Using Outlook 2
S categories are being cut off after selecting from category pop up form Using Outlook 3
D Search on Category in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
R Any idea why my category colours aren't showing in my calendar? Using Outlook 0
L Category List Using Outlook 43
F Export Outlook contacts by One Category Using Outlook 1
M Cannot change category in inbox; Can change it in popup Using Outlook 0
D Macro to export mail data based on assigned category Using Outlook 3
C Custom form with custom colour category visible to all users in public folders Using Outlook 1
J Contacts: Assigning followup date by category Using Outlook 2
C Apply Category Color for Appointment Background Color Using Outlook 2
J Calendar Search by Category not showing expected results Using Outlook 7
S Printing Category Key on Calendar Using Outlook 1
A Can Rule Check Category Contact is assigned? Using Outlook 1
J View All Category Items Using Outlook 1