Create new outlook task into task subfolder using vba

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbarbara11

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
I have been searching for a way to create a new outlook task in an outlook task subfolder in Outlook 2007 for a few days now and no one seems to have finished any thread with a confirmed solution. Has anyone been able to do this and if so what code did you use to get it to work?

Thanks,

Jim

hi

i do so with Terms, but this should work with tasks too.

Code:
Outlook.Application outlookObj = new Outlook.Application(); 

Outlook.MAPIFolder subFolder = null; 

Outlook.MAPIFolder fldContacts = (Outlook.MAPIFolder)outlookObj.Session.GetDefaultFolder(Outlook.OlDefaultFolders.olFolderContacts); 

subFolder = fldContacts.Folders["SubfolderName"]; 

Outlook.ContactItem newContact = (Outlook.ContactItem)subFolder.Items.Add(Outlook.OlItemType.olContactItem); 

newContact.User4 = list_s[1]; 

newContact.User3 = list_s[0]; 

newContact.FullName = list_s[2]; 

newContact.HomeAddress = list_s[3]; 

newContact.HomeAddressStreet = list_s[4]; 

newContact.Email1Address = list_s[9]; 

newContact.User2 = list_s[10]; 

> .. 

> .. 

newContact.Save();

regards

ww

hi

i do so with Terms, but this should work with tasks too.

Code:
Outlook.Application outlookObj = new Outlook.Application(); 

Outlook.MAPIFolder subFolder = null; 

Outlook.MAPIFolder fldContacts = (Outlook.MAPIFolder)outlookObj.Session.GetDefaultFolder(Outlook.OlDefaultFolders.olFolderContacts); 

subFolder = fldContacts.Folders["SubfolderName"]; 

Outlook.ContactItem newContact = (Outlook.ContactItem)subFolder.Items.Add(Outlook.OlItemType.olContactItem); 

newContact.User4 = list_s[1]; 

newContact.User3 = list_s[0]; 

newContact.FullName = list_s[2]; 

newContact.HomeAddress = list_s[3]; 

newContact.HomeAddressStreet = list_s[4]; 

newContact.Email1Address = list_s[9]; 

newContact.User2 = list_s[10]; 

> .. 

> .. 

newContact.Save();

regards

ww

Does not work. :( Still saves to the default top Tasks folder. I am wondering if this is even possible for Tasks. Here's my code:

Code:
Sub AddTaskToSubFolder() 

Dim objApp As Outlook.Application 

Dim defaultTasksFolder As Outlook.MAPIFolder 

Dim subFolder As Outlook.MAPIFolder 

Dim objNS As Outlook.NameSpace 

Dim objItm As TaskItem 

Set objApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") 

Set objNS = objApp.GetNamespace("MAPI") 

Set defaultTasksFolder = objNS.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderTasks) 

Set subFolder = defaultTasksFolder.Folders("FSProjects") 

Set objItm = subFolder.items.Add(olTaskItem) 

Set objItm = objApp.CreateItem(olTaskItem) 

objItm.Subject = "Test task to subfolder" 

objItm.Save 

End Sub

hi,

yes it works fine for me. Is the Custom Folder created?

Code:
bool rc_b = false; 

Outlook.MAPIFolder CustomFolder = null;           

Outlook.Application outlookApp = new Outlook.Application();                       

Outlook.MAPIFolder taskFolder = (Outlook.MAPIFolder)outlookApp.Session.GetDefaultFolder(Outlook.OlDefaultFolders.olFolderTasks); 

// Verify 

foreach (Outlook.MAPIFolder subFolder in taskFolder.Folders)
   {
        if (subFolder.Name == was_s)
    {
            CustomFolder = subFolder;
            return true;
        }
    }
    // Add wenn nicht vorhanden
    if (CustomFolder == null)
        {
             try
             {
                   CustomFolder = taskFolder.Folders.Add(was_s, Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.OlDefaultFolders.olFolderTasks);
                   return true;
              }
              catch (Exception ex)
              {
                  return false;
              }
         }
         return false;

hi,

Code:
bool rc_b = false; 

Outlook.MAPIFolder CustomFolder = null;           

Outlook.Application outlookApp = new Outlook.Application();                       

Outlook.MAPIFolder taskFolder = (Outlook.MAPIFolder)outlookApp.Session.GetDefaultFolder(Outlook.OlDefaultFolders.olFolderTasks); 

// Verify 

foreach (Outlook.MAPIFolder subFolder in taskFolder.Folders)
   {
        if (subFolder.Name == was_s)
    {
            CustomFolder = subFolder;
            return true;
        }
    }
    // Add wenn nicht vorhanden
    if (CustomFolder == null)
        {
             try
             {
                   CustomFolder = taskFolder.Folders.Add(was_s, Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.OlDefaultFolders.olFolderTasks);
                   return true;
              }
              catch (Exception ex)
              {
                  return false;
              }
         }
         return false;

Do you mean MY code worked for you in Outlook (in other words, you copied my code, pasted in VBA and ran it)? If so, them maybe there is hope. To answer your question about the custom folder, yes. It exists under the default Tasks folder. It is strange because in all the various forum threads out there on this exact subject, I cannot find anyone out there who has verified that they can create a Task in VBA and have it save in a subfolder. I have seen it for emails and contacts, but not for tasks.

Anyway, any help you can provide (either directly in my code or point me to somewhere or someone who may have an answer) will be greatly appreciated.

--Jim

hi,

I know from experience :) that jim's code kicks up an error if the folder does not exist or is not a subfolder of the Tasks folder.

I looks like this line is the problem:

You create the new item in the subfolder: Set objItm = subFolder.Items.Add(olTaskItem)

Then turn around and do it again: Set objItm = objApp.CreateItem(olTaskItem)

With that line commented out, it works as expected.

ETA: it also works if you reverse the order of those two lines. I'm not a VBA expert, but I don't think you don't need both lines... according to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310244 - you need one or the other. createItem creates it in the default folder using the default form. item.add can use any form into any folder.

The CreateItem method creates a new default Outlook item. If you have to create an item that is based on a custom form that you have created, use the Items.Add method that is discussed in the next sample. You can find the CreateItem method located in the top-level application object in the Outlook object model. The CreateItem method requires only one argument. This one argument is a constant that indicates the type of item to create.

When you use the Add method on the Items collection, you can create a new item that is based on any message class. The message class may be a default Outlook message class, such as the IPM.Contact message class, or a message class for a custom form, such as the IPM.Contact.MyForm message class. To use the Items.Add method, you must first reference the folder where you want to create a new item.

Excellent! That did the trick! Thank you so much.

And for anyone else out there looking for a thread confirming the code that works, here it is:

Code:
Sub AddTaskToSubFolder() 

'Add a task to a subfolder under the Tasks folder in Outlook 

Dim objApp As Outlook.Application 

Dim defaultTasksFolder As Outlook.MAPIFolder 

Dim subFolder As Outlook.MAPIFolder 

Dim objNS As Outlook.NameSpace 

Dim objItm As TaskItem 

Set objNS = objApp.GetNamespace("MAPI") 

Set defaultTasksFolder = objNS.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderTasks) 

Set subFolder = defaultTasksFolder.Folders("FSProjects") 'Replace FSProjects with whatever subfolder name you have under Tasks. 

Set objItm = subFolder.items.Add(olTaskItem) 

objItm.Subject = "Another Test task to subfolder"   'Subject for the task 

'There are more parameters you can use, just Google them yourself for the start date, reminder, etc. 

objItm.Save 

End Sub

Thanks,

Jim

I know from experience :) that jim's code kicks up an error if the folder does not exist or is not a subfolder of the Tasks folder.

I looks like this line is the problem:

You create the new item in the subfolder: Set objItm = subFolder.Items.Add(olTaskItem)

Then turn around and do it again: Set objItm = objApp.CreateItem(olTaskItem)

With that line commented out, it works as expected.

ETA: it also works if you reverse the order of those two lines. I'm not a VBA expert, but I don't think you don't need both lines... according to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310244 - you need one or the other. createItem creates it in the default folder using the default form. item.add can use any form into any folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.