How to create a new email with @outlook.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rupert Dragwater

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I've tried repeatedly to create a new email address using @outlook.com. I use the Auto Account Setup and get as far as the Password ...it keeps asking me for the Password.
I read this article ...
Changes to Outlook.com Premium

... and still being a novice to the mechanics of this stuff, am wondering if this has anything to do with it. I've tried the manual way and get no where.
If there is still a way to create a new email address using the @outlook.com, let me know how it's done. If not, no one has to let me know how it's not done. But do let me know one way or the other please. Thanks!

This looks real easy!??! I've not set up a two factor authentication to my knowledge. Is this something new(er) that's been kicked in because I'm thinking the last time I set up an email address, there was none of this stuff around, or at least I can't remember it being so.

This is how difficult this stuff is for someone such as myself who knows zilch about the mechanics of this stuff.
I look up "two step authentication" and I read the following for instance, "On your Account Page select “Security info” then under the “App passwords” section click on "Create a new app password" and use it as password of the account configured on Outlook 2013."

I go to my Microsoft Account Page, sign in and the first thing I cannot find is Security Info. I can go to my Account but nothing there says "Security Info" so I click on the nearest thing I can see that might relate to that and that is Security. And then I'm told in what I looked up on a Google search and that says "then under Apps Passwords" and again, there is nothing in there that comes close to Apps Passwords.

Wished sometimes you lived next door Diane. You wouldn't but I would! :)

Followed these instructions posted below from another forum and still not even getting close. Any idea as to why? The last time I created a new email address, I had zero problems. Just let the wizard do it. I do not have a two factor authentication by the way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Gmail, go to Settings >> Forwarding & POP/IMAP and make sure IMAP is enabled. Leave all settings at default
  1. Start Outlook
  2. Sign into your Gmail account using your browser at https://mail.google.com
  3. If you use 2 step verification, go to your security settings and generate a new App Password. Copy that password
  4. If you don't use 2 step verification, skip (3) and go here and enable access for "less secure" apps: Account settings: Your browser is not supported.
  5. Then go here: Sign in - Google Accounts and click Continue.
  6. Then immediately - go back to Outlook and set up your account again, letting Outlook do it automatically using the Setup Wizard.
  7. If you use 2 step verification, give Outlook your username and paste the App Password you copied earlier into the Password box.
  8. If you don't use 2 step verification just give Outlook your username and your normal account password
  9. Then let Outlook get on with it and set up your account for automatically.
  10. Leave all Outlook's settings at their defaults until you know whether you have been successful.

I'm assuming you set it to use less secure apps (Step 4).... that should be all you need to do, although sometimes you need to go to gmail.com and 'approve' access if gmail thinks its suspicious (a banner will be at the top of the page, or you'll have an email waiting with information). I get this now and again when i set up a gmail account on a virtual machine stored in "the cloud".

What error message are you getting now?

Wait a minute... are you using outlook.com or gmail? if the new email address in outlook.com is your gmail address, you need to create an outlook.com alias. At this time, microsoft accounts that use non-microsoft addresses cant be added to outlook using that address. (This may change, especially for gmail accounts, in the future.)

I did set to less secure apps. As to Outlook.com or gmail, I've actually got both on here. I also have an AOL email account and all are working flawlessly. But it's adding a new one with an outlook.com or gmail.com or aol.com that's giving me grief.
I've just taken a gander at the top of the Gmail account on the website and there is no notice about "approving access" ... I do see a banner that says "Click here to enable Desktop notifications for Gmail" ...
As stated, I never ran into this problem the last time I set up a new email address. None of them are letting me pass the password. The little window will keep coming up (in most instances) asking for the password, which I have already put in there. And I've got the correct passwords. I've tried creating with the wizard and manually and nothing is working.
Did I read somewhere about creating a new Profile? Would that have anything to do with it, such as a corrupt Profile. Anyway, let me know what you think.

You can certainly try a new profile - add one of the problem accounts (but not the ones that work currently) and see if it works. Don't delete the current profile - but set outlook to ask which profile (second screenshot at How to Create a New Profile

Greetings from the land of grief! I created another Profile and I get the same exact results, which is absolute failure. So apparently it isn't the Profile. I'll await your furthered instructions Diane. :)
I should add, that I tried creating a new outlook.com address that does not exist and did try a gmail that does exist. Both attempts failed.

Does it give you an error message or just not work?

No error message, just gets so far and ask for the Password. Type it in and just repeats and ask for it again. This is for a new gmail email I've created right from the website. As for creating a new email address with the outlook.com, it just says that it cannot find that address.

Here's what happens when I put in a new (or create) the new email address using outlook.com. Esbablishing network connection (seems to work this far) ... then ... searching for address. Then finally I get ... log on to Server - send test message and it's right in front of this that I get an X.
Also this is trying with Exchange. So again, I click on the "outlook.com or Exchange ActiveSync compatible device" and there's the Server Information - Mail Server. It's here that I have no clue as to what to put in there.
Also, when I go to the POP or IMAP, I've tried everything I can find and nothing happens there either.

Also this is trying with Exchange. So again, I click on the "outlook.com or Exchange ActiveSync compatible device"
That is no longer supported - you need to use autoaccount setup to add it as Microsoft Exchange or manually as pop3/imap.

That it doesn't work in a new profile for those two accounts leads me to believe its a configuration issue on the account side. Did you verify imap was enabled in gmail settings?

I think I'm a bit confused with what you're saying Diane. That's my fault of course and not yours. You say Exchange (and I think I understand you to also mean outlook.com) as no longer supported. But then you say I have to use the auto account setup to add it as a Microsoft Exchange, and if that is so, then I have tried the auto account setup numerous times in the last several days to no affect.
I'm also trying the manual way and getting nowhere fast. Also, I have verified that imap in gmail is definitely enabled. Do you get the impression this is more than a little weird that nothing is working, either in auto or manual? Would you suggest a repair on Outlook or is that way out in left field?

You say Exchange (and I think I understand you to also mean outlook.com) as no longer supported.
No, *ActiveSync* is no longer supported.

eas.png

You can't set up outlook.com accounts manually, they need to be added using auto account setup wizard and will be added as as an exchange account.
This is an outlook.com account (in the short-lived custom domain program)
outlook.com-acct.png

Would you suggest a repair on Outlook or is that way out in left field?
It certainly doesn't hurt to try repair. it won't do any harm.

Ok, now it's time for a complete moment of silence. And I'm sure after you read this, you'll no doubt get up from your Desk and punch holes in the wall. You're allowed three by law as far as I know!
Searching around in the Gmail Account, for some weird and wonderful reason, I found a Password that was there from 2013. I would sign in with what I thought was another Password but looking into Lastpass, lo & behold, I found a Password that I did not know existed. I started from scratch again with the Auto Setup and I nearly did a barrel roll right across this Desk when it worked.
Now with that out of the way and if I'm understanding you correctly, the outlook.com can't be set up manually. I've tried creating a brand new email address in the Auto Setup and use the outlook.com at the end of my email address, such as
paperclip@outlook.com
It begins a search for it and then tries to do an unencrypted attempt and then fails. Can I actually create a new email Account right from Outlook or do I have to create that by going into Outlook.com from my Browser and if so, how? Tell me again for the first time what I'm doing wrong, or is the attempt itself wrong?

Last edited:
Searching around in the Gmail Account, for some weird and wonderful reason, I found a Password that was there from 2013. I would sign in with what I thought was another Password but looking into Lastpass, lo & behold, I found a Password that I did not know existed.
Most of the time, users don't come back and say they tried the wrong password, but i always suspect it's the often the reason. With browsers & apps remembering the password, it makes it easy to forget you changed it. Even i have one account where i enter the old password and remember i changed it after it fails.
I'm understanding you correctly, the outlook.com can't be set up manually.
Correct.
Can I actually create a new email Account right from Outlook or do I have to create that by going into Outlook.com from my Browser and if so, how?
Ok... you can't create a new account from outlook. you'll need to go to Microsoft account and get it. Then you'll be able to add it to Outlook.

When I found it was the Password thingy, I almost needed a stepladder to get up on my swivel chair. Couldn't believe it. I also come near to unsubscribing (if there's such a thing) from this forum. I felt like a total idiot.
If you can put up with this just a tad bit more, I have to say, I've searched in my Microsoft account as to creating a new email. Or do you mean that I have to create a new Microsoft account per se? I've googled it to find this out and I cannot find anything.
I seriously have and do appreciate your expertise. Obviously you've spent some years mastering this stuff. I'm going to be away from my system for a few hours but I'll look forward to your furthered help. Thanks Diane!

(I did find this link - Outlook.com: How to Add an Alternate Email Address
I've got as far as adding another email address (or phone number) for security purposes. Is this what I'm after to actually create another outlook address? )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.