Multiple email accounts - hesitate to create a new profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofw62

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Because of some kind of credential issue (long, complicated story, not relevant here) triggered by another application, I was suggested to create a new Outlook profile.

The way to do that is not an issue. There are sufficient tutorials showing how to do it.
If it involves just one email account I suppose it is a piece of cake.

However, I hesitate, because I have multiple email accounts within Outlook 365.
Office 365/Outlook Exchange - note the .ost is stored on a different partition, using the ForceOSTPath registry patch
and a number of POP3 accounts with .pst files on that same partition
as well as archive .pst files.

Right now all is fine, except that I have this pop-up asking for outlook credentials, only when using the other application.

In Windows Credential Manager I already tried to solve it by removing the MicrosoftOffice16_Data:SSPI entry, but regretfully that didn't work: pop-up still showing up.

Long story, but the question is: what is the effect when I create a new Outlook profile?
Should all the other accounts be 'attached' again?
What about the contacts?
The archive .pst files?

If that is all the case, well, then I won't do it: just clicking on [Cancel] in the credentials pop-up is easier/faster.

Thanks.

If you make a new profile, you will need to add the accounts back - the microsoft exchange account will create a new data file in the proper location (set by the key). The POP accounts will likely try to create new data files*** - you'll need to select the correct pst file in that case. Archive pst files will need to be added to the profile.

If the pst files use the email address as the name and are in the 'default' location that would open when you click File > Open > Outlook Data File, Outlook should pick them up. If all pop mail goes into one pst, you'll need to make that change, either as you add the accounts to the profile or later.

Contacts are in either exchange or a pst - they won't be a problem.

On the problem - try removing the key for the account from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity\Identities then check credential manager and remove it from there. (I think the key might remove it from cred manager, but not 100% sure). See if that has an effect.

As always, thank you so much for the elaborate reply Diane. Truly appreciated, really.

After reading, I think I will not try to create a new profile. It isn't worth all the work for this relatively minor issue.
It is a different in case of a new install, after a Windows update or something.

The application I use and that prompts for Outlook credentials also works fine when I click on the cancel button in the pop-up.

As a last attempt I'll give the registry key + (again) removing the entry in Windows Credentials a try. Will also reboot thereafter, maybe that helps.
If not well, I'll leave it as it is.

Thank you again.

Hi Diane, I gave it a try: removed the entry "microsoftaccount_username-at-@outlook.com_SSPI" from both the registry and Windows Credentials.
Reboot. Started all applications. Then started the indexing tool (X1) in 'paused' mode, i.e. it was launched but did not perform the indexing task.
At that point no new entries were created.
Then I started the indexing service.
Credentials pop-up showed up. Entered password and tagged 'Remember my credentials".
New entries were created.
However, regretfully, it won't stick (i.e. it does not remember, the pop up shows up again).

So be it.

Oh, BTW, another question (relating to the above)
within Windows Credential Manager, with me under microsoftaccount_username-at-outlook.com_SSPI
the username is empty.
Should it not contain the username?
Supposedly being the email address?

Status
Not open for further replies.