Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Hi

I am using O2016/365
IMAP

My problem is that I get multiple emails. How this plays out:
Junk mail - I always get 3 of each email. I can delete an email in the junk folder and it will pop right back up. This will happen 3 times if I happen to delete the 1st email as I see it. They arrive very quickly but sometimes I'm right there and delete the 1st one quickly.
Inbox - FINE, no problems.
Search - If I search for an email I will sometimes 6-10 of the same email. This is mainly old emails, prior to when I took over this account.

1. Any idea why this is happening.
2. Is there a safe way to find and nuke dupes? This email account is 5Gb and searching for a particular part of a thread can be extremely time consuming.

Thanks,
CP

Follow the steps:-
In any of your mail folders, click one of the messages, press and hold CTRL, and then click each additional message. If you want to select a contiguous group of messages, click one of the messages, press and hold the SHIFT key, and then click the last message in the list.

On the Home menu, click Forward or press Ctrl+F on your keyboard.

A new message will open with the selected messages as attachments. Address and compose this new message and then click Send.
Hope this helps you.

Since its an imap account, log into web mail and see if there are duplicates there - preferably, with outlook closed so it doesn't create dupes. Maybe first thing in the morning, before starting outlook, check web mail for duplicates. If there are dupes that came in overnight, its not outlook.

If you use more than one computer, each computer could be moving mail at the same time.

If you have a lot of dupes, using a 3rd party utility is easiest. Depending on the cause, you might be able to use the modified field - if the dupes were created at the same time, they'll have the same modified date.

Since its an imap account, log into web mail and see if there are duplicates there - preferably, with outlook closed so it doesn't create dupes. Maybe first thing in the morning, before starting outlook, check web mail for duplicates. If there are dupes that came in overnight, its not outlook.

If you use more than one computer, each computer could be moving mail at the same time.

If you have a lot of dupes, using a 3rd party utility is easiest. Depending on the cause, you might be able to use the modified field - if the dupes were created at the same time, they'll have the same modified date.

So it's basically a search and destroy mission to get rid of existing?

This is happening REAL-time. There's only one computer using this account. Webmail is used but very rarely.

circling back...with webmail and outlook open...In my junk folder in webmail there are 6 emails. In outlook there are 54 because some are duplicated and some aren't. I just got 2 more while typing this...2 more of the same.
as it is synching the emails in junk will add then delete. I had 6 of 1, now I have 2. It does this right before my eyes. I know the one sender and there is only one rule and that is the rule that is created by right click, junk, block. I have only done this one AFAIK.

I group shift-deleted all the emails and 3 emails came back. All from at least yesterday and farther back.

So outlook is downloading the duplicates of the junk mail? If you don't delete them from junk mail, do the duplicates stop?

So outlook is downloading the duplicates of the junk mail? If you don't delete them from junk mail, do the duplicates stop?

If I just let them go they sort of blip in an out. Appearing and the disappearing. If I delete them and then go back in the folder then then they appear and then disappear as outlook is syncing. VERY bizarre behavior that I've never seen before and only happens with this one email provider. I blame them but they have no idea what to do about it. delete your profile, redo the whole thing....

I did that and it did not help.

Are you syncing with Samsung? That sounds like Samsung's junk mail behavior with exchange and imap.

Are you syncing with Samsung? That sounds like Samsung's junk mail behavior with exchange and imap.

No. The email host is a relatively small place in Maryland. I think I just need to deal with this. No one knows how to deal with it. It's not a big deal. IF I go on a delete frenzy and duplicate *and sometimes 6x* emails come back ... then I will have to do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.