Outlook refuses to show embedded images on Citrix Windows 2008 R2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eventually that would be possible. The majority of the Citrix environment is shut down during off hours, so I should be able to make sure I'd be the only one on a server (or atleast the only one running Outlook) to see what happens.

Hadn't thought of that test quite yet. Would be interesting to see the results.

Had a go. Last night disabled one server to no allow any logons. It flushed, and sat in my environment this morning with 0 sessions.

Step 1: Open desktop as an administrative user, start Outlook and see about the problem - Sadly, still there. I verified I was the only user on the system at that point.

Step 2: Start Outlook as a user through Citrix, and see about the problem. I logged on, found a couple of other users had logged on to that server in the short timeframe I was working, booted them off so I was the only one on the system, logged out the Administrative user I was logged in as, and saw about the problem. Still the problem persists.

Said hotfix doesn't seem like it will solve the issue for me :(

Further suggestions are welcome!

Yeah, I don't think i would waste time testing the hotfix. Have you checked in the citrix forums to see if others have the problem or someone knows the solution?

No... Moreso since when I run the application as a local Administrator (even if I'm the only one on the system) the problem also occurs.

At that point I'm logged in locally through remote desktop, and the problem still occurs. At this point XenApp or Citrix isn't part of the equation at all (atleast it doesn't seem to be to me). At that point I'm more or less considering a Windows 2008 R2 vs Outlook 2003 problem, but for the life of me I can't figure out where that issue might be located or where I could look other then the places I've already checked out, or the solutions I've already tried.

I did consider posting a question up on forums.msexchange.org, but it seems the mods and admins have abandoned ship, and my account was wiped for reasons beyond my knowledge... :(

For some reason, I thought it worked on the desktop/local and only failed on the server. Is Outlook 2003 supported on Win2008? I know it's "not supported" on Windows 8 - it works, but there is an annoying bug or two or a few that will not be fixed. I'm not aware of anything like this though - messages group with word, not Outlook, is the biggest complaint.

Try the Microsoft forums at Exchange Server Category - they get a lot more traffic than the msexchange forums.

We had issues with Office on 2008 R2, but this lead back to DEP: Outlook crashes on Windows Server 2008 R2 Terminal Server when DEP is enabled

Also there are known problems if Outlook crashes: Outlook 2003 crashes on Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit in XenApp 6 Remote Desktop | Andrew Seeliger's Blog and Why does Outlook 2003 keep crashing on our Windows 2008 64-Bit Terminal Server ?: Office 2003, Outlook 2003, Windows 2008 64-Bit, Remote Desktop Services, Terminal Server but these seem not to apply to us (knocks on wood)

Also going with List of system requirements for Microsoft Office 2003:

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003 or higher
  • Microsoft Windows XP or higher
  • Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3) or higher

I surmise Windows 2008 R2 is higher than Windows 2003, but can't find any definitive answer on the support of Office 2003 on Windows 2008 R2.

That said, I've also tried this on Office 2010 (as you can see in my opening post) with Outlook 2010, and found the problem is in there too... So the problem does seem to be independant of the version of Office.

Not sure the Exchange Server forums are the best place for this question tho. As I'm browsing through all it seems that I can exclude Outlook versions as the cause, aswell as Citrix. That leaves Exchange Server (which doesn't directly impact the problem, plus that on my local computer it works normally), or Windows 2008 R2 that is somehow harassing me (which I now suspect to be the case, tho I have no idea where this may or may not come from).

If you have no direct idea's anymore, I could toss up the question on Outlook IT Pro Discussions Forum and possibly General Forum

Nobody seems willing to hazard a guess or toss up ideas... :(

I have a feeling that its one of those things that only someone who experienced it and solved it will know the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.