Copy additional IMAP accounts into Oulook 365 Account

Robert Jory

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
This is all confusing to me and I will try to explain the best I can.

I have outlook on my computers which is connected to an exchange account. I have all my contacts, calendar, tasks etc in this account and there is no problem with that part. I also have about 20 IMAP accounts defined which have to be IMAP because of the limitations in exchange that I won't go into here.

I just setup a new computer and installed outlook and connected to my 365 exchange account and every is fine there. Is there anyway I can transfer the 15 IMAP account to this new PC so that I don't have to set each account up manually? I have located .OST files which have the names of my IMAP accounts. I also have a few .PST files that are associated with some OPS3 accounts

I really don't understand the whole PST, OST, Exchange thing. I wouldn't mind reading about it but there is no definitive paper that explains the big picture and how it all fits in.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
The account settings are in the registry, so you can move them. Moving OST files is a bit tricker and unless they are huge, I wouldn't bother. If you don't do it right, outlook will recreate them anyway, plus it may completely resync the folders. In outlook 2013, the profile is under the office keys - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Profiles
How to move imap files: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/how-to-move-the-imap-personal-folder-pst/ - the profile key looks for the ost files in as speciofic location so you need to put them in the same location or outlook will create new ones in the default location.

I'm curious about the limitations though - oh, are they secondary addresses? That is the only reason I can think of offhand not to open mailboxes as exchange mailboxes.

Robert Jory

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
The account settings are in the registry, so you can move them. Moving OST files is a bit tricker and unless they are huge, I wouldn't bother. If you don't do it right, outlook will recreate them anyway, plus it may completely resync the folders. In outlook 2013, the profile is under the office keys - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Profiles
How to move imap files: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/how-to-move-the-imap-personal-folder-pst/ - the profile key looks for the ost files in as speciofic location so you need to put them in the same location or outlook will create new ones in the default location.

I'm curious about the limitations though - oh, are they secondary addresses? That is the only reason I can think of offhand not to open mailboxes as exchange mailboxes.
Diane, Thanks so much for your quick response. I will look at those documents and see if I can understand them. As far as the limitation is concerned; I never send an email from a real account as I don't want that account spammed so I send email using an alias in the same domain. When the receiving party gets the email, it says something like "sent from xxx on behalf of yyy. And yyy is the real email address that I don't want anyone to have. I have been using aliases for years and it has worked pretty good. When an alias does get spammed, I just delete it and create a new one.

Robert Jory

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Hi Diane, this is a brand new install of outlook so I didn't want to mess it up. I don't like fooling in the registry and only understood about half of what I read. What I did do is create one of the IMAP email accounts from scratch in outlook. I then searched for the folder and found where it was created in. Then copied an OST file from the old PC into that same folder. I was thinking when I started outlook again it would just see it. I guess that was too simple a solution because it did not show up. Is there a way of connecting to it from within outlook ?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Outlook is really fussy about using existing data files for imap accounts - the data files are only usable by the account that created it. If you exported the profile from the old registry, it might see the account and data file as one, but chances are, you can't avoid creating new data files, in part because the computer name and GUID are different. Sorry.