Status
Not open for further replies.

Rupert Dragwater

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Diane or others,
I suddenly noticed when clicking on some of my Apps, the will open and shrink to the Taskbar. They are not working though and clicking on that icon, only opens it and closes it back down to the Taskbar again.

At the same time, I noticed when opening Outlook 2013, I get this "Outlook could not create the workfile. Check the Temp enviroment variable.

I see some are suggesting to go to the Registry and make changes but I want to be sure the changes (if indeed I am to do that) are the most up to date ones.
I am using Windows 8.1 & Outlook 2013.

As to the error see this: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/outlook-could-not-create-the-work-file/
The mentioned location for the temp internet files applies to Win 8, too.

As to the other issue, what apps are you referring to? If you mean items of Outlook, like emails, appointments, etc. you need to reset the sizes of the windows, which are also stored in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook

There each item type, for instance Appointment, has a key called Frame. Delete it, and that item will be displayed with a default size and position the next time you open it.

Yes, for the workfile error, you need to edit the path in the registry unless the IE cache is corrupt. Check the IE settings - Tools, Internet Options, General tab - Settings button. Is the disk space to use setting reasonable (over 100) - if its zero the Internet cache is corrupt.

Thanks for the reply Diane. I'll deal with the "Outlook could not create the workfile. Check the Temp enviroment variable" first.
Looking first at the IE Options Tools, Internet Options, General tab - Settings button, I see Disk Space to use is (8-1024mb).
I wanted to use the Mr Fix it but I'm not getting the 1606 error. I guess that means I'll have to edit the Registry. Right now, I'm ready to hit the sack but I'll beg your furthered instructions when you get a chance. :)

Ok, I guess I wasn't ready to hit the sack. Next attempt at that, I'll try to sleep. I copied the ... %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files ... into the Cache of ...HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders. This fixed my problem with Outlook.
I have an idea, trying to fix my original problem, I moved the "folder" in Internet Options / General Tabs / Settings / Temporary Internet Files. Way to go Rupert!!!!!!!!!!!!

My original problem is this and I feel I'm in the wrong place (maybe) for this. But probably (why am I feeling I'm correct) you can help me here also. When I click on an App, for instance, Store ... it comes up and then goes down to an icon on the Taskbar. It doesn't open up anything whatsoever, it just goes to the Taskbar and stays there. I realize the Taskbar thing is because I have it checked off in the Taskbar properties to show opened Apps to appear there.
If I click on another, let's say "weather" ... it does the same thing. It comes up and shrinks to this irritating icon on the Taskbar but isn't doing anything as to working or telling me what the weather is going to be.

I've tried another one ... Maps ... again, it does the same thing. No error messages, just comes up full screen (doesn't do anything as far as showing maps) and then shrinks down to a little icon on the Taskbar. I guess what I should be saying is, the App opens (or at least begins to) and then closes.

If you have an idea as to what is causing this & how I can fix it, let me know unless you want to keep it a secret. I'll look forward to your furthered help Diane. And remember ... don't go very far away! :)

Ok, I'm out of here. Silence on the Apps is understandable, looking at the various sites I've visited and the "no fixes" seems to be another one of those problems that is not fixable, at least on forums.
Thanks Diane for your invaluable help with Outlook. Always appreciated!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G Outlook could not create the work file Using Outlook 0
L Create hyperlinks to bookmarks in Outlook 2003 otf file Using Outlook 1
E Outlook could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable Using Outlook 8
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
J PSA: How to create custom keyboard shortcut for "Paste Unformatted Text" in Outlook on Windows Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Commodore Any way to create "from-only" account on Outlook 2021? Using Outlook 1
N Can't create NEW GROUP and add/remove a member from existing Group in Outlook Using Outlook 1
O Outlook 365 - How to create / copy a new contact from an existing one? Using Outlook 5
G Can't create Folder Groups in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
N Outlook rules don't create a copy for bcc'ed emails Using Outlook 3
F Delete/create/reset Exchange mailbox on Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
R Can not create folder to store specific emails in in Outlook for Mac Using Outlook 1
A Outlook macro to create search folder with mail categories as criteria Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Rupert Dragwater How to create a new email with @outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 32
D create an html table in outlook custom form 2010 using vba in MsAccess Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
R Outlook add-in to create new contact from an email. Using Outlook 0
Tanja Östrand Outlook 2016 - Create Macro button to add text in Subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Outlook macros to create meeting on shared calendar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
G How do I create a custom pick list in VB for an outlook automated email? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Diane Poremsky Create a custom field for Outlook messages Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Create a Custom Numbering Field for Outlook messages Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Manually create a POP3 account in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 0
T Create Rule For Secondary E-Mail Address In Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky Use VBA to create an Outlook Search Folder for Sender Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Create an Outlook appointment from an email message Using Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky Outlook Crashes When You Reply or Create a New Message Using Outlook 0
I Create custom Outlook 2013 Rule in Office 365 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
C Edit/Create Pen Not Working Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
J Outlook Rule - Create Link in Forwarding Message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
E Create a URL hyperlink in an Outlook custom form? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R iCloud Issues in Outlook 2013, cannot create reminders Using Outlook 2
Rupert Dragwater How to delete old rules and create new in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 12
P Cannot open Options Menu Outlook 2007 and Cannot create a new profile Using Outlook 0
C Outlook 2007 cant create new account Using Outlook 7
K Outlook Cached Mode - can't create rules to move email to another mailbox Using Outlook 2
O Can't create new email or access email acounts Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 1
S [outlook-users] Create contact group from other user's contacts Using Outlook 1
J Create new outlook task into task subfolder using vba Using Outlook 6
B How do I create and send mail in Outlook 2003 from code? Using Outlook 5
O Outlook 2010 - How to create custom Group By Arrangements for email Using Outlook 3
R Outlook 2007 attachments create multiple copies in the inbox Using Outlook 3
J Create or Import a Outlook Rule through C# code. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
F can I use Outlook 2007 to create peer review/approve/reject forms Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Create a new Outlook MailItem in an Outlook folder(not a draft) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Create a macro in Outlook to run a rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 32
B How to create the customized Outlook SQL DASL for selected days? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
N How Can I create an Outlook Macro to import calendar? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Create appointment to custom (shared) outlook calendar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S HELP: Create Buttons in Outlook Email body or Tool bar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N How to create hidden rule in outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3