assign category (VBA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

soadfan

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
How can i assign category on incoming emails based on received date?
For example odd dates> blue, even > red

After quick research i came up with this (im not sure it's most elegant/optimized way):

capture.png

Code:
Public Sub DateBasedCategories(itm As Outlook.MailItem)
Dim dateFormat
dateFormat = Format(itm.ReceivedTime, "dd")
If dateFormat Mod 2 = 1 Then
itm.Categories = "date.odd"
itm.Save
Else
itm.Categories = "date.even"
itm.Save
End If
End Sub

I did notice that it won't work for some emails (with attachments mostly) when they arrive. But after that if i run rule manually it assign category, any ideas?

That is pretty much how i would have said to do it. will test it to see how it works here.

Do you get many messages in at one time? if too many come at once, the rule may fail on some - it's possible that the ones with attachments are larger and the rule skips them to deal with others... also if you use other rules, put this at the top and don't use 'stop processing' so all messages are categorized.

its on top and i disabled stop disabling more rules on all rules. And it was single mail when failed

I wasn't able to repro it with a 2 mb attach, which isn't all that surprising for a short, quickie test (although it took forever for it to arrive and both accounts are in the same office 365 tenant.) I'll need to let it run a bit longer and see if i can repro.

It was actually interesting to watch the folder - the message arrived and several seconds (probably 2 or 3 but it seemed longer) passed before the category was applied. Not sure if it was due to the message size or was due to other issues (that machine seems unusually slow today).

The rule has no conditions, only the run a script action? (so it applies to all mail)

That is the same as i am using - will let it run and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P VBA to assign category on calendar item does not work ?? why ?? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
R Auto Assign Category colours to Incoming Emails based on whom the email is addressed Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Z Outlook 365 Automatically assign categories to incoming mail in a shared folder Round Robin Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Assign Categories "Round Robin" style but in a shared mailbox but on specific emails only Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
P Auto assign shared mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Assign categories to outgoing emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
F How to assign a task to a public task folder? Using Outlook 1
A How to assign the value returned by the regex execute function to a variable? Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Assign one task to several people Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Assign an Email Account to an Outlook Contact Using Outlook 0
E for Mac: Assign Task not available!? Using Outlook 1
E Outlook VBA to print attached Pdf to a fax printer and assign fax number Using Outlook 0
A Assign a unique number to every message I send Using Outlook 0
Z assign unique number email Using Outlook 8
J Assign a signature by external or internal reciepents. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S assign task programmatically Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C Cannot assign a task from a public folder? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
C Assign To and CC list while using Redemption.dll library Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
C How to assign icon to a button in Outlook Add-in Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
farrissf Category list to pick from Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
B Outlook 2019 Automatically move email after assigning category Using Outlook 4
F Add a category before "Send an Email When You Add an Appointment to Your Calendar" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
V Macro to mark email with a Category Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Emails assigned with a certain category (within a shared inbox) to be copied to a specific folder. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Clear one category when another is chosen Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A VBA Script - Print Date between first email in Category X and last email in Category Y Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A Unflag Inbox and Flag Inbox with Orange Category After Item is send Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
bhamberg Contacts in a category Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
K Custom Category Colors Using Outlook 2
4 Macro to set the category of Deleted Item? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
K Update Appointment category when changed in Excel Using Outlook 3
J Automatic color category according to variable domains Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Diane Poremsky Category Color doesn't Display in Inbox Using Outlook 0
Wolfkc Unwanted Category "Starred in Android" Using Outlook 6
M receive mail when appointment category changes and create task from appointment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
N VBA Outlook reference to Excel and assigning category Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 13
A recover contact category assignments Using Outlook 4
A Grouping emails using "From" causes a None Category Using Outlook 5
J Outlook Rules not show Master Category List Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
William getting custom form to load category colors Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Diane Poremsky Categorize Messages using Contact Category Using Outlook 0
T Macro to find contacts by category and copy them to another folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 15
bifjamod Saving sent email to specific folder based on category with wildcard Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
K Outlook 2010 - Set the category based on category of other emails in same conversatio Using Outlook 20
A How are you handling Outlook.com category issue and syncing Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
T default category Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R click to toggle quick click category reasigns to where ? Using Outlook 2
L Change Category in a Task via macro Using Outlook 8
K Help! I selected every contact and mistakenly made them all the same category Using Outlook 1
R Filter Views by Category Using Outlook 2