Signatures that contain recipient's email address

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffshead

Outlook version
Outlook 2021 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I've been googling for hours and hours without success... I want to have Outlook 2010 automatically replace a variable in signatures with the recipient's email address. For example:

Code:
<a href="https://www.mysite.com/opt-out/?email={{RECIPIENT}}">Unsubscribe</a>

In the example above, {{RECIPIENT}} is the variable but of course it can be anything.

I'm assuming this can be done with VBA but I have zero experience with VBA. I haven't found any example snippets that do this.

I have a few different signatures (different domains) that will contain similar links. I have an HTML and a plain text version of each signature so the VBA code would need to work with both types.

Is this even possible? I can't even find an Outlook Add-in or any software that does this, client side. I do not use AD.

Thanks!

Actually, it would probably be better to hash the email address and use PHP on the landing page to unhash it so the email address can then pre-populate a input text field on the unsubscribe form that the user lands on when they click the link in the signature of the email.

So this:
Code:
<a href="https://www.mysite.com/opt-out/?email={{RECIPIENT}}">Unsubscribe</a>

Becomes somthing like this, which can be decoded on the landing page:
Code:
<a href="https://www.mysite.com/opt-out/?email=sdg5456dfg45y45645564tryrty456456">Unsubscribe</a>

BTW, it might be easiest to do it using an itemsend macro, although you could also do it as you open the message form (but it would apply if you change the signature later).
Add Attachments and Set Email Fields During a Mail Merge

--snip--
.Subject = Replace(.Subject, "[merge]", "")
.htmlbody = replace(.htmlbody, "{{RECIPIENT}}", item.to)
--snip--

Thank you for the info but it does not work as intended. It appends the recipient's name and email address to the URL. Plus it only pulls the info from the To field.

I was hoping there was a way to automatically edit the unsubscribe link for each recipient regardless if there is multiple recipients in the To, CC or BBC fields. Each recipient gets an email with a custom unsubscribe link that contains only his/her email address.

Is this possible?

Thanks again,

Jeff

I was hoping there was a way to automatically edit the unsubscribe link for each recipient regardless if there is multiple recipients in the To, CC or BBC fields. Each recipient gets an email with a custom unsubscribe link that contains only his/her email address.
That would require a mail merge, one message to each recipient.

When you send 1 message to multiple people, it’s not ‘split’ until it reaches the recipients mail server, long after it’s out of outlook’s hands.

Actually, the sending mail server can do it. Unfortunately, it adds the link/signature to the very bottom of the email which gets messy when replying back and forth.

Thank you so much for your time :) I guess I can now stop wasting my time since I cannot achieve what I want within Outlook.

Sounds like you need to remove the server’s signature/disclaimer when you reply. That is doable too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Outlook 365 Multiple different Signatures on Shared Mailbox Using Outlook 0
T Outlook roaming signatures Using Outlook 4
D VBA code to select a signature from the signatures list Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
K Outlook adds space to rows in HTML email signatures viewed on mobile Using Outlook 1
A How to create fixed signatures for aliases that process through GMAIL? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A Multiple signatures Using Outlook 2
L Can signatures synch to Office Portal Using Outlook 1
M Configure outlook 2007 to accept digital signatures Using Outlook 2
R Outlook signatures depending on domain Using Outlook 2
Mark Foley Outlook multi-spacing Thunderbird signatures when replying Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Image Quality in Signatures Using Outlook 0
C Quick Parts signatures suddenly require more letters Using Outlook 2
C Signatures in HTML emails Using Outlook 5
R 2 email accounts, only 1 gets signatures added on new email. Using Outlook 1
L Oultlook 2007 Signatures Using Outlook 28
P Changing all email signatures (font, color) at once in outlook 2007 Using Outlook 2
V Plain Text Signatures Using Outlook 3
V Signatures in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2010 - Stationery with signatures Using Outlook 1
J Managing signatures and disclaimers with digitally signed emails Exchange Server Administration 3
B OL2010 - signatures while forwarding tasks or appointments Using Outlook 2
A Signatures problem Using Outlook 1
S Using Multiple Signatures in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 9
F Signatures in incoming messages Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N separate signatures for different accounts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
D Where does Outlook store signatures? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
J Does the .fdm contain my custom form? How to make ol use it? - ol2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
N Save selected messages VBA does not save replies and/or messages that contain : in subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Cannot copy this folder because it may contain private items Using Outlook 0
cimbian street address fields contain 0A0D Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
W Filter condition "contains"/"doesn't contain" doesn't always work Using Outlook 10
E Items collection doesn't contain all items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
E Items collection doesn't contain all items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
E Items collection doesn't contain all items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
F Graphics in email / Mac recipient garbled Using Outlook 0
T Outlook 2010 recipient no longer shows in 'Send To' Using Outlook 0
S Adding a recipient's column to Sent folder in Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Outlook 365 Copy/Save Emails in Folder Outside Outlook to Show Date Sender Recipient Subject in Header Using Outlook 0
C Automatically Insert Recipient Name from To Field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
M Outlook, send to > mail recipient - results in plain text email Using Outlook 1
K Use VBA to find Sender and Recipient from Microsfot 365 Journaled Email Items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
B VBScript doesn't run on Recipient Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
T "Words In Recipient's Address" Rule Causes Outlook To Stop Processing Rules Using Outlook 3
M ERROR: None of your email accounts could send to this recipient Using Outlook 2
N Custom Form Controls Not Visible To Recipient Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Daniel Schunk User-defined form arrives empty at the recipient Using Outlook 3
B Looking to get the Recipient email address (or even the "friendly name") from an email I am replying to using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
D Moving Emails Based on Recipient/Sender Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
broadbander Needing help with reply/reply all while keeping attachments and adding a new CC recipient. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
L Automatically Insert Recipient Name from To Field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 33