Restoring Outlook from backup pst file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindsay Graham

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
My wife uses Outlook 365 (the subscription version) in Windows 10 and has just lost a swag of emails (don't ask!).

We have a backed up pst file that is 3 days old. How do we restore from that backup file without losing all new emails that have come in or gone out during the last 3 days?

All help gratefully received.

Do you need to restore them to web mail? You can import into Outlook (imap or exchange account) and wait for them to sync up. The new messages won't be affected but you might have duplicates of older messages if they are still on the server.

Thanks for your reply, Diane, and my apologies for not getting back to you earlier.

The lost emails are from gmail which are synced with Outlook 365 (the email client, not webmail). Similarly, the gmail emails go to my wife's iPhone. She deleted all emails (!) on her iPhone, but they then also disappeared from Outlook and from gmail webmail.

She has a backup (PST file) of the emails that were in Outlook, but new emails have been coming into Outlook since then. So ... how do we restore to Outlook the emails in that PST file without losing new emails in Outlook that have come in since the accidental deletion?

Hope that makes sense and grateful in anticipation for any help.

The simple way: just open the pst file in outlook - File > Open & Export > Open Outlook Data file.

Is the account in outlook as pop or imap? If POP, you could import it - choose option to not import duplicates.

If imap, you can try using import to reload them mail on the server, its not all mail will sync up. If you only need recent mail on the server, copy it over - small amounts will usually sync, no problem.

Thanks, Diane. But if I simply open the old pst file, how do I avoid that overwriting the current pst file being used by Outlook? If that happens, won't we lose all emails sent and received since the backup file was created? Or are you saying that those newer emails will have been retained in gmail webmail and those server copies will then sync with (ie, be added to) the restored pst structure?

Account is currently IMAP, but we plan to change to POP -- would it be better to do that before or after the pst file is restored?

Put the pst in a folder - doesn't need to be the same folder the original is in (and shouldn't be unless you rename it first) - then file > open & export > open outlook data file. Browse to find it.
Or are you saying that those newer emails will have been retained in gmail webmail and those server copies will then sync with (ie, be added to) the restored pst structure?
They should be on the server - but if its a pst file, you can open it to look in.

I don't think it matters whether you switch to pop before or after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Restoring Outlook from backup of OST Using Outlook 5
D Outlook 2010/IMAP - Restoring from system tray changes to unused ibox.... Using Outlook 1
N Restoring Outlook Calendar after iCloud copy Using Outlook 1
B Restoring Outlook 2000 messages Using Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky Restoring BCM Database After Upgrading Windows Using Outlook 0
B Restoring PST files won't work Using Outlook 1
P Restoring old sbb database in existing one BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
B Restoring deleted pst file Using Outlook 1
B Restoring Deleted Recurring Event AND Notes Using Outlook 8
C Restoring who tasks were assinged to Using Outlook 2
G Restoring emails Using Outlook 4
S Restoring Database to BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
A BCM 2007 restoring database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
P Restoring bcm BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
S Restoring BCM from a Back-up BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 9
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2019 is no longer asking for password ... Using Outlook 5
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
M Synchronization and backup of Outlook from local to server. Using Outlook 8
T How to get an EVENT COLOR option in Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 0
K How can I delete an e-mail from Outlook Using Outlook 1
V Outlook Error The Attempted operation Failed. An Object Could Not be found Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Yahoo/IMAP folder rename by Outlook desktop 365 Using Outlook 0
A Outlook 2019 folder counter Using Outlook 0
A Relocate Search Bar in Outlook Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Need clarification on 2-Step Verification for Gmail using Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 10
L Opening People Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2021 not letting me setup my Gmail using pop Using Outlook 1
Geldner Problem submitting SPAM using Outlook VBA Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P VBA to add email address to Outlook 365 rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Outlook 2016 outlook vba to look into shared mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Can no longer sync Outlook with iPhone calendar after iPhone update to 17.1.1 Using Outlook 7
O Outlook - Switch from Exchange to IMAP Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is it possible to have a reminder in Outlook 2021 for every 90 days Using Outlook 3
farrissf Outlook 2016 Optimizing Email Searches in Outlook 2016: Seeking Insights on Quick Search vs Advanced Search Features Using Outlook 0