date file management

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikecox

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I have Outlook 2010 on two computers and I want to be able to work between them; seamlessly. The problem is there are data files all over the place; sigs, rules, contacts, Quick steps, different folder trees; an Outlook Data File, two @.cox.net address data files; several "My Contacts" lists and the empty one seems to be the default because I always have to select the populated one, while the empty default list keeps getting added to, instead of the one with all my contacts.

What I am looking for is a manual that explains the data files and how to manage them; not a manual on how to use Outlook, I know how do to that, I just can't get a handle on how to get all my data in one place; so I have ONE contacts list that I don't have to select each time I want to post an email or save an address. I want to combine; or concatenate, all the data files so I only have ONE.

I'm thinking the simplest thing might be to save my data files to the cloud; but then I wouldn't be able to access them if I couldn't get on line.

I've looked on Amazon for books, but there are so many and they all seem to get high grades so I have no idea which one would best address my concerns.

1. If your mail server supports IMAP, that will eliminate having mail everywhere.

2. Calendar and contacts are more problematic - you could sync them using Outlook.com or get a utility like Sync2 and sync between the computers.

Once you have that set up, you can use rules on either computer - because imap folders are synced, messages you move on one computer will be moved on the other.

I think is does.

I sounds like I need to learn what IMAP is all about then set down and configure my Sync2 program.

From what i found on the internet, cox does support imap. It takes some getting used to - each imap account has its own data file and this can annoy POP3 users.

From what i found on the internet, cox does support imap. It takes some getting used to - each imap account has its own data file and this can annoy POP3 users.
Hmmm, I keep getting error messages with IMAP in them, like the server did something to it, or shut it down; I can't remember exactly, but the error does not re-appear when I click OK. I just assumed, since it didn't come back; each time it appears...and there doesn't seem to be a pattern, the I had it. But I'm sure your right, I will Google IMAP and see if I can figure out why I get them and why they go away.

At this point I've been working on my laptop; while my desktop is being upgraded, so now I have old and new data files on both machines and I need to sync them; I guess that's what I will use Syn3 for. What's frustrated me in the past is that my configuration tweaks don't seem to sync. Rules, sig, quick steps, et al just seem to have a mind of their own. Maybe Syn2 will address them; I can only hope.

I have been using computers since the days of DOS and no program data management system has so confounded me as much as Outlook's. Quite frankly it baffles me!

I will never understand how I end up with multiple "contacts" lists with different entries in both, or understand why Categories don't sync with a new installation. My two Outlook programs have always been a 6's and 7's!

If I weren't so locked into Outlook's organization system I'd quit it altogether. As I stands I only use it for email; because I don't like Gmail; I forward all my Gmail to Outlook. But I use Google calendar

AFAIK, Sync2 only does the items - mail, calendar, contacts, tasks - not rules and views and all of the other stuff. Those are stored in the pst, so copying the pst between machines will include those.

Categories aren't synced to the server, so they won't sync to the other computer. Sync2 should keep the category on items - you'll just need to use the Upgrade to color category option to add new categories to the master list. (Colors might not match but the names will.)

I have Outlook 2010 on two computers and I want to be able to work between them; seamlessly. The problem is there are data files all over the place; sigs, rules, contacts, Quick steps, different folder trees; an Outlook Data File, two @.cox.net address data files; several "My Contacts" lists and the empty one seems to be the default because I always have to select the populated one, while the empty default list keeps getting added to, instead of the one with all my contacts.

What I am looking for is a manual that explains the data files and how to manage them; not a manual on how to use Outlook, I know how do to that, I just can't get a handle on how to get all my data in one place; so I have ONE contacts list that I don't have to select each time I want to post an email or save an address. I want to combine; or concatenate, all the data files so I only have ONE.

I'm thinking the simplest thing might be to save my data files to the cloud; but then I wouldn't be able to access them if I couldn't get on line.

I've looked on Amazon for books, but there are so many and they all seem to get high grades so I have no idea which one would best address my concerns.

Mike, I cannot explain the darn data files but possibly I can provide a solution for you. If you only have two PCs you need to sync try CodeTwo Outlook Sync (see http://www.codetwo.com/outlook-sync/) . If you have more than two PCs (you said you only have two but I wanted to offer another option) then either use CodeTwo Public Folders (see http://www.codetwo.com/public-folders/). Or another option that will work is install iCloud and then use CodeTwo Sync for iCloud (see http://www.codetwo.com/sync-for-icloud/). Whatever option you use I also suggest that you use a free app "CodeTwo CatMan" see http://www.codetwo.com/freeware/catman/

I've installed CodeTwo Sync for iCloud on three systems and it seems to be working without issue. I also have a license for CodeTwo Public Folders and just got it working and will be uninstalling CodeTwo Sync for iCloud. The support at CodeTwo has been SUPER!

I forgot to mention, with CodeTwo Public Folders there is an Android/Apple app (CodeTwo Public Folders) that will sync my phone. As of this date I've not installed it but plan to do so in the very near future.

Mike, I cannot explain the darn data files but possibly I can provide a solution for you. If you only have two PCs you need to sync try CodeTwo Outlook Sync (see http://www.codetwo.com/outlook-sync/) . If you have more than two PCs (you said you only have two but I wanted to offer another option) then either use CodeTwo Public Folders (see http://www.codetwo.com/public-folders/). Or another option that will work is install iCloud and then use CodeTwo Sync for iCloud (see http://www.codetwo.com/sync-for-icloud/). Whatever option you use I also suggest that you use a free app "CodeTwo CatMan" see http://www.codetwo.com/freeware/catman/

I've installed CodeTwo Sync for iCloud on three systems and it seems to be working without issue. I also have a license for CodeTwo Public Folders and just got it working and will be uninstalling CodeTwo Sync for iCloud. The support at CodeTwo has been SUPER!
Thanks so much for telling me about this option, I will check it out; it sounds like it might solve the problems I'm having running Outlook on my two computers.

I don't understand why MS makes this so difficult or how Outlook has survived; given the difficulty getting it to sync on more than one machine, especially since many people have more than one computer these days.

AFAIK, Sync2 only does the items - mail, calendar, contacts, tasks - not rules and views and all of the other stuff. Those are stored in the pst, so copying the pst between machines will include those.

Categories aren't synced to the server, so they won't sync to the other computer. Sync2 should keep the category on items - you'll just need to use the Upgrade to color category option to add new categories to the master list. (Colors might not match but the names will.)
Thanks Diane, I appreciate your help with this issue. I think I am going to look into codetwo; it appears to be a simpler option to configuring Sync2, but I keep it on my list of options. (-:

rules and views and all of the other stuff. Those are stored in the pst,
o_O In Outlool 2010 Sigs and Rules are separate files. Rules is a .rwz file in the appdata/local/MS/ Outlook folder. I know this because it's the one thing I have been able to do; copy the .rwz file to my other computer and make it work. Signatures are in appdate\roaming\MS/signitures.
That's what I mean when I contend that Outlook data is "all over the place". It would be nice if it was ALL in the pst file and that we could access, or at least concatinate all the pst files so we didn't end up with a confused mess!

This is a f/u on the IMAP issue. You thought maybe my ISP didn't support it but I get these IMAP related errors and I appear to have IMAP " "account information". It's strange, because I simply installed Outlook on this new machine; I didn't set up anything related ot IMAP. I don't remember "subscribing" to any folders.

IMAP command.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.