Save and rename outlook email attachments to include domain name & date received

Status
Not open for further replies.

weslake77

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
Hi all,
I'm not a developer and quite the beginner. I work for my family on a farm and we have a heap of invoices coming in each month via email and I'd love to be able to create a macro that allows all attachments that are invoices or statements to be saved to a file on my computer.
I have a macro that is currently functioning well that pulls all attachments that include the words Ïnvoice or Statement into a folder on my computer.
This is it below:

Public Sub SaveAttachmentsToDisk(MItem As Outlook.MailItem)
Dim oAttachment As Outlook.Attachment
Dim sSaveFolder As String
sSaveFolder = "C:\Users\Sarah\OneDrive\Accounts & Invoices\2018\Email Invoice Attachments\"
For Each oAttachment In MItem.Attachments
oAttachment.SaveAsFile sSaveFolder & oAttachment.DisplayName
Next
End Sub

But now I have a huge file filled with a bunch of files (invoices and statements) that are badly named and I don't know what they are unless I open them up.
So, I'd love to be able to rename the attachment to include the email domain & the date received.
For example - I get an invoice from a company called Queensland Bearings - their email address is "admin@queenslandbearings.com.au" and the email was received on the 1st April 2018. I would like the attachment to be saved as "QueenslandBearings-20180401"
Can someone please help me with the code for this?
Greatly appreciated
Sarah.

Hi all, pretty desperate for a reply. Your help would be greatly appreciated

You can extract somewhat useful information out of SenderEmailAddress.

Code:
Public Sub SaveAttachmentsToDisk(MItem As mailItem)

Dim oAttachment As attachment
    Dim sSaveFolder As String

Dim sndrEmailAdd As String
    Dim sndrEmailRight As String
    Dim sndrEmailPreDot As String

Dim saveName As String

' Try on a test folder not your current folder
    sSaveFolder = "C:\Users\Sarah\OneDrive\Accounts & Invoices\2018\Email Invoice Attachments\"

'  Extract text, after @ and before dot, from the email address.
    sndrEmailAdd = MItem.SenderEmailAddress

'Debug.Print sndrEmailAdd
    'Debug.Print " position of @ sign: " & InStr(sndrEmailAdd, "@")
    'Debug.Print " number of characters right of @ sign: " & Len(sndrEmailAdd) - InStr(sndrEmailAdd, "@")

sndrEmailRight = Right(sndrEmailAdd, Len(sndrEmailAdd) - InStr(sndrEmailAdd, "@"))
    'Debug.Print " text after @ sign: " & sndrEmailRight

'Debug.Print " position of the (first) . period in the remaining text: " & InStr(sndrEmailRight, ".")
    sndrEmailPreDot = Left(sndrEmailRight, InStr(sndrEmailRight, ".") - 1)

'Debug.Print " text before . period: " & sndrEmailPreDot

For Each oAttachment In MItem.Attachments

' Without versioning code,
        '  if more than one attachment with same name they will overwrite.
        ' Would have been doing so previously,
        '  now less likely with the added prefix.

saveName = sSaveFolder & sndrEmailPreDot & "-" & Format(MItem.ReceivedTime, "yyyymmdd") & "-" & oAttachment.DisplayName

oAttachment.SaveAsFile saveName

Next

End Sub

Sub saveDocumentsFromPreviouslyReceivedMailWithNewName()
    ' Open one old mail first
    SaveAttachmentsToDisk ActiveInspector.currentItem
End Sub

Thank you so very much for taking the time to reply and send all of that code!
I'll give that go and let you know :)
Thanks
Sarah

It worked beautifully!!! Thank you so much and also thank you for explaining the steps!! It's greatly appreciated!!
If you have any suggestions as to what websites or course that I should look into to learn VBA that would be great. If not, thanks again for all of your assistance :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G Save and Rename Outlook Email Attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
W Save Outlook attachment in network folder and rename to current date and time Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 18
C Save outlook attachments and rename/append files with identifier from subject line Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
G Save emails as msg file from Outlook Web AddIn (Office JS) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E Outlook 365 Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - oMail.Delete not working when SEARCH Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - digitally sign email doesn't works Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Outlook Macro to save as Email with a file name format : Date_Timestamp_Sender initial_Email subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Outlook 365 Copy/Save Emails in Folder Outside Outlook to Show Date Sender Recipient Subject in Header Using Outlook 0
W Create a Quick Step or VBA to SAVE AS PDF in G:|Data|Client File Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Outlook (desktop app for Microsoft365) restarts every time I save my VBA? Using Outlook 1
D VBA Macro to Print and Save email to network location Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N VBA Macro To Save Emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Save emails within a certain date range to network drive Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
T Outlook 365 Move newly created tasks automatically on save. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Save attachment run a script rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
N Save Selected Email Message as .msg File Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
G VBA to save selected Outlook msg with new name in selected network Windows folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Outlook 2016 64bit, Cannot Save in 'HTML', format Using Outlook 1
N Save selected messages VBA does not save replies and/or messages that contain : in subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L Macro to add Date & Time etc to "drag to save" e-mails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 17
S save attachment with date & time mentioned inside the file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Add VBA save code Using Outlook 0
A Edit attachment Save and Reply Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook (2016 32bit; Gmail IMAP) - Save sent message to Outllook Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Outlook pst file is too huge with POP3. How to save more space? Using Outlook 4
D Prevent popup of "Do you want to save changes?" when closing after opening an appointment to view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Unable to save recurring Meeting to Documents folder due to error Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2013 Script Assistance - Save Opened Link with Subject Added Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Use an ItemAdd to Save Attachments on Arrival Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
W Outlook Calendar does not save view any longer! Using Outlook 3
S automate save the .xlxs file to share Network Using Outlook 1
S save email from excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Y Open and Save Hyperlink Files in multiple emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
9 Outlook 2016 How to save an Outlook attachment to a specific folder then delete the email it came from? Using Outlook 1
O Save attachments using hotkey without changing attributes Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
geofferyh Cannot get Macro to SAVE more than one message attachment??? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
N Open & Save VBAProject.Otm using VBA Code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R VBA | Chosing path to save file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
V Change default default save location to Quick Access Using Outlook 1
C Change default "Save Sent Item To" folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
C Outlook - cannot save subject line changes Using Outlook 2
J Save E-mail attachments in a specific folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
I Outlook 2016 64bit - on receipt convert emails into PDF and save Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
V VB script code to save a specific email attachment from a given email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 14
C Auto save outlook attachments when email is received Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N editing drafts - won't let me save Using Outlook 12
nathandavies Email Details to Excel & Save as .MSG on one macro - combination of 2 macros Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
C Need VBA code to automatically save message outside outlook and add date Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Save Sent Item to Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Save Selected Email Message as .msg File Using Outlook 11