Linked (online) signature images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Wood

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I'm using Outlook 2013, and have inserted some logos into my signature. The images are stored online, and so are inserted as links, to avoid them being attached to the message. This works fine. However, if I'm not connected to the Internet (e.g. because I'm using 4G and out of a reception area), Outlook crashes when I try to create a new message. Presumbly, this is because it's trying, and failing, to access and display the signature images.

Does anyone know of a solution to this? Is there a way I can locally cache the images so that Outlook will still let me write new messages when I've not got an active Internet connection?

Is outlook set to work offline? That *should* prevent outlook from trying to download the image as you compose.

Is outlook set to work offline?
I thought that, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

If I'm online, but set Outlook to "Work Offline" and create a new message, it still downloads the images.

If I'm offiline (i.e. my computer isn't connected to any networks), regardless of whether or not "Work Offline" is activated in Outlook, I get the required/expected behaviour: the images appear as red crosses.

However, the problematic scenario is as follows. I'm tethered to my phone's wifi hotspot, so my computer has an active network connection, but my phone is out of a 4G coverage area, so I don't actually have an Internet connection. In this situation, Outlook hangs when I try to create a new message, apparently because it attempts to download the images (I've checked this is the cause by removing the images, and then everything works fine). Setting Outlook to "Work Offline" doesn't solve this problem.

So, for now, I've had to resort to embedding images in my emails -- which is far form ideal because messages show up in my recipients' inboxes as if they have attachments, and the size of every message I send is increased, so I really need a better solution to this.

Thanks, Diane. It'll be great if you can find a solution to this. It seems like a bit of an oversight on Microsoft's part that Outlook allows you to used linked images, that then those linked images crash the program when you're offline!

Ah.. that actually makes sense because it is using the word controls , not outlook, so a new message doesn't understand the concept of offline. I'll see what I can find out.

Hi again, Diane. I just wondered if you might have had any further thoughts on this, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
O The linked image cannot be displayed Using Outlook 2
C "The linked image cannot be displayed. The file may have been moved, renamed, or deleted. Verify that the link points to the correct file location" Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2007 crash linked to gdiplus.dll Using Outlook 0
T The Linked Image Cannot Be Displayed in Outlook Using Outlook 7
J Open an outlook email by Subject on MS Access linked table with VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
T Error opening mail with pictures - "The linked image cannot be displayed" Using Outlook 3
E Outlook 2013 , iCloud linked calendar, events one hour ahead for about a month Using Outlook 5
S Filter by accounts but communicate to all linked contacts BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
S Please help! -- Linked Account field at Business Contacts tab is always empty BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
W Mass emailing to contacts linked to accounts BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
M Mistakenly Linked my Outlook.pst file extension to open with Outlook Using Outlook 1
S Change Columns of Linked Accounts and Business Contacts BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
R Does a deleted inbox message stay linked to it's contact? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
K How do I view the linked contacts to a business account (2007)? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
C create a button go to linked account on a task form BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
J Importing Business Contacts linked to Accounts BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
A Online Mode to Cached Exchange Mode problem Using Outlook 2
Z New minimum Outlook for Windows version requirements for Microsoft 365/Exchange Online Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 27
Commodore Automatic switch between working offline/online Using Outlook 4
M Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 with O365 / Exchange Online Using Outlook 0
A .restrict results changing after moving to Exchange online Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Office 365 - Online Repair vs. Uninstall Reinstall Using Outlook 1
R Chancing / remove “ something ” in the subject, online archive Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
J VBA to switch Outlook online/offline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Brian Murphy Exchange Online Everything a Transport Rule should do and cannot Exchange Server Administration 1
Fozzie Bear Office 365 Home Premium with Exchange Online email accounts Using Outlook 3
J Outlook - 2013 - Error msg when copying folders from Online Archives to another user's mailbox Using Outlook 0
S Outlook [Online - Office365] perfomance is getting affected when accessing the mails using Redemptio Using Outlook 1
T Online Training for Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Online Services in Outlook: Gmail, Yahoo, iCloud, AOL, GoDaddy Using Outlook 1
L Online 3rd party backup of Office 365 cloud Using Outlook 5
oliv- "Online mode with Exchange server" vs "online" Exchange Server Administration 2
R Enable Office 365 Exchange Online Archive Using Outlook 0
R Creating a Room Mailbox with Exchange Online Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R Enable Office 365 Exchange Online Archive Using Outlook 6
Diane Poremsky Cut the Clutter: Using Exchange Online’s Clutter Folder Using Outlook 0
T Consollidating all calendars to Outlook online, even from POP3 email invitations. Using Outlook 2
Thomas Young Using On-Premises Exchange with Exchange Online Protection Exchange Server Administration 2
V Installing Apps from MS Online Store Using Outlook 5
J 2010 duplicate mailboxes, exchange online vs app data folder. Using Outlook 2
M Change from working offline to online Using Outlook 2
I Displaying my Online/Offline Status BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
Y hosting BCM database at office online / workspace BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
N Can business contact manager be hosted online? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
D VBA code to select a signature from the signatures list Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
DDB VBA to Auto Insert Date and Time in the signature Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M HTML email signature in Outlook Using Outlook 3
B Adding signature to bottom of VBA reply email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Martull Forced signature when multiple accounts exist Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
B Importing business card into Outlook for SIgnature Using Outlook 1