import email addresses into a distribution list

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aG9ja2V5MjAxNA

Is it possible to copy multiple email addresses from either a Word or Excel

document into an Outlook Distribution List without having to enter each

email address individually into Outlook & then into a Distribution List?

"hockey2014" <hockey2014@comcast.net> wrote in message

news:F7A6D161-5354-4E1F-AD6E-17546D13CD9C@microsoft.com...

> Is it possible to copy multiple email addresses from either a Word or Excel
> document into an Outlook Distribution List without having to enter each
> email address individually into Outlook & then into a Distribution List?

Yes, (and from a Notepad or Wordpad doucment as well) provided the addresses

are presented in the correct form. Ther must be one address or one

name/address pair per line, like this:

address1

address2

address3

> ...etc...

or

Name1 Address1

Name2 Address2

> ...etc...

They can also be all on one line and separated by semicolons, like this:

address1; address2; address3; ...

or

Name1 address1; Name2 address2; Name3 address3; ...

In Outlook click File>New>Distribution List. When the form opens, give it a

name and then click Select Members. Now open the document containing the

members you wish to add. Select them, then right-click the selection and

click Copy. Go back to the Select Member dialogue, right-click in the Members

field and select Paste. Click OK. The DL will populate and you can then

click Save and Close.

On the whole, however, it's usually better to add them to your Contacts folder

and use a category to reporesent the list instead of using a DL.

--

Thanks.....it worked..

"Brian Tillman " wrote:

> "hockey2014" <hockey2014@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:F7A6D161-5354-4E1F-AD6E-17546D13CD9C@microsoft.com...
>

I'm sort of trying to do the opposite: in category view, copying list of

names (and emails if possible ) into a Word document. one name at a time is

difficult enough

"hockey2014" wrote:

> Thanks.....it worked..

> "Brian Tillman " wrote:
>

"Jo Foster" <JoFoster> wrote in message

news:9FCA4C0C-8DED-4ACD-9AD5-DFA733539C7B@microsoft.com...

> I'm sort of trying to do the opposite: in category view, copying list of
> names (and emails if possible ) into a Word document. one name at a time is
> difficult enough

I find it faily easy to export the entire Contacts folder to an Excel file,

mapping the fields I need, but making sure I include the Categories field. I

can then open the Excel file, sort by the Categories column, and delete

anything not in the category I want.

--

Dear Brian,

Many thanks for this.

Is there any way, when sending a normal email, that you can choose to send it too all contacts from the contact list that are in a certain category.

The filter at the moment seems only to allow filtering on content, not on category.

Many thanks.

All the best, cheers and enjoy.

Michael

I'm sort of trying to do the opposite: in category view, copying list of

names (and emails if possible ) into a Word document. one name at a time is

difficult enough

This is an old post but i think the answer is worth repeating for others who may find it - create a custom view that shows the fields you need them copy and paste (use paste special, as text if pasting into word)

This tutorial shows the basics - http://www.slipstick.com/tutorial/no-export-way-to-use-outlook-data/ - although it's using email, not contacts. It will work for any folder though.

Are you in the Contacts folder or in the Address book (that comes up when you click To) ?

In the contacts folder, group by category then select the category group header you want to send to and use Actions, New message to contact. There is a tutorial here: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/contacts/using-categories-for-dynamic-distribution-lists/

Dear Larry,

Many thanks for this - this is exactly what I wanted. I usually use the contacts folder.

As an extension to this, what is the best way to do an email mail-merge, where you can send the same email to many different contacts, but in the "Dear (so and so)" address, the actual name(s) of each individual contact is inserted into the "(so and so)" area, and maybe other parts of the email can be tailored to suit each recipient on the basis of info in each contact's Outlook database file?

Many thanks.

Michael

We recommend starting the merge in Outlook and filtering the contacts (or selecting a category group) - group by category, select the category then go to Tools, Mail merge and follow the steps. We have a tutorial here: Mail merge using Outlook

Are you in the Contacts folder or in the Address book (that comes up when you click To) ?

In the contacts folder, group by category then select the category group header you want to send to and use Actions, New message to contact. There is a tutorial here: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/contacts/using-categories-for-dynamic-distribution-lists/

Dear Larry,

Many thanks again, and it is true that this is exactly what I wanted for a brand new email to go to all the contacts in a certain category. Perfect. Ta.

However, I have another related question.

What if you want to FORWARD an email, or send an extant email to all those in a certain category.

My procedure in attempting this mind-bending feat has been to open or right-click on the email and click the FORWARD button which presents me with the To, CC and BCC (in my case) buttons. I click on any of these and I am presented with my contacts list. Here I am trying to do the mind-bending feat of sorting by category, but after trying to do this by choosing name, more columns, GO, advanced find etc (note the advanced find feature is about advanced as a cro-magnon/Jurasic Park after dinner mint), it does not find any contacts by any of the categories I have set up. Grrrrh.

How do you do this, when FORWARDING an email to all those in a certain category. I would of thought that in Outlook, this would be a simple matter and bind-mending, not mind-bending. Enough to send one ding dong.

Michael

You can't use the address picker - when i do it (which is not often), i group by category and copy the category then paste in the to field - you need a name only view though. Or select the category, use New message to command them copy the addresses to the forward. Yeah, either method is a PITA but its not something i do much. If i did it much i'd probably make a DL...

You can't use the address picker - when i do it (which is not often), i group by category and copy the category then paste in the to field - you need a name only view though. Or select the category, use New message to command them copy the addresses to the forward. Yeah, either method is a PITA but its not something i do much. If i did it much i'd probably make a DL...

Dear Slippy,

Many thanks for this that these and those - very helpful and would have taken a month of Y2Ks for me to sort it out by mice elf.

I have tried doing both methods (at least my variation of them). However, I find the first a bit clunky, because my contact view has many column headings and I could not be bothered having to create another view just with the name only view. But, even if you had just the name field there, then when you copy the category list of contacts and paste it into the "To" field say, then all the heading(s) crap gets posted into the To field and you have to select and delete all the crap to just leave the email and name addresses. However, it is still workable, but a real PITA as you say. Now I will have a different view every time I eat a bit of pita bread. No matter - I prefer chappatis/rotis/Naan anyway.

Re the second method you mention - "select the category, use New message to command then copy the addresses to the forward". This seems to be a lot more workable and easier. It took me a while to work out what you are suggesting, but it is great. So, just to clarify with you, I do a forward from the original message that came to me, go to contacts, sort by category, click on the category header, go to the main menu, select actions/create/new message to menu, go to the new email with all the email addresses of the contacts listed under the category header now in the "To" section of the new email, highlight all of these email addresses, control c (copy them) and then paste directly into the To or cc or bcc field of the "forward" email I started with. Is this what you mean?

If so, it works a treat even though a few extra steps, but IMHO, less clunky (at least for me) than the first method.

Re the DL - yes, this is a good idea it I were to do this a lot, but only if the DL lists remained relatively static (ie not being edited a lot/added to/removed from). The great thing with categories is that if every time you add a new contact and assign a category(ies) to it, then when you sort by category (one click on the category header I have in my contacts columns), the category list is automatically updated just by adding the category to the new contact. Otherwise, if using the DL, not only do you need to create the new contact, but have to then open the DL and add that new contact to it. Ditto if their email address changes, or does it automatically change in the DL list as well? Probably duzz.

Many thanks slippy. Life gets a bit easier every day..

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.