File attachments with Outlook 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

vze2mp9g

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
I have a question regarding file attachments with Outlook 2013. How can I get Outlook to accept and send attachments ending in .EXE ? I know allot of people would say send a zip file, but I know of allot of people who have no idea what a zip file is, and if they do, they don't have the means to open it. So I just want to send them a self extracting zip file ending in .EXE. I saw some ware that it was possible with Outlook. Does anyone have any ideas and/or suggestions? Last big question. I have an iCloud mail account (with my iPhone 4), and I want to have my iCloud e-mails in Outlook as well. I downloaded the iCloud 2.1.2.8 from Apple and I just finished installing it. I do not have a @me account (or I think I don't - I never use it). With that said, what are the settings I should have in Outlook 2013? I know Diane knows this, so that's why I'm asking. :) Thank You. :)

You can send them - they are attached but blocked - but if the other party uses outlook or other software that blocks exe's, they wont be able to open the attachments. It's really better to zip or change the extension to something else - .exe.txt or .ex_ - but the recipient will need to change it to exe.

More info Opening .exe Attachments and Outlook E-mail Security - Slipstick Systems

On iCloud - run iCloud and log in - you can use your iTunes account I think, you don't need to create a me account. (I created a me account for testing - last thing I really need is another email address)
If you don't use a me email address, iCloud will sync calendar and contacts, it won't set up an imap account in outlook.

You can send them - they are attached but blocked - but if the other party uses outlook or other software that blocks exe's, they wont be able to open the attachments. It's really better to zip or change the extension to something else - .exe.txt or .ex_ - but the recipient will need to change it to exe.

More info Opening .exe Attachments and Outlook E-mail Security - Slipstick Systems

On iCloud - run iCloud and log in - you can use your iTunes account I think, you don't need to create a me account. (I created a me account for testing - last thing I really need is another email address)
If you don't use a me email address, iCloud will sync calendar and contacts, it won't set up an imap account in outlook.

About the .EXE files, most of the "not so computer literate" people I would like to send the .EXE (self extracting zip files) files to don't use Outlook. They don't even know how to even set it up. Most of them use their Web Browsers to read their e-mails on line (Verizon, Gmail, AOL, HotMail, Yahoo), so I don't think that would cause them any problems. (I THINK!)

The link you gave me explained about how you can edit the Registry for Outlook 2010, Outlook 2007, Outlook 2003, Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2000 SP3 (but not Outlook 98 or earlier Outlook 2000 versions). It doesn't mention anything about Outlook 2013. I don't want to "guess" what I would use with Outlook 2013, because that would really screw things up.

I did run iCloud, but I shut down Outlook. Should Outlook be running in the background when I'm logging onto iCloud (yes, iCloud uses your Apple ID)? Will iCloud create a new Mail Account in Outlook (2013) so I can download my e-mails from iCloud? If not, how would I go about getting my e-mails from iCloud so I can read and send e-mails from Outlook 2013 (That's all I want to do.). I dislike reading any iCloud e-mails on my iPhone 4 because it's very hard to read/see what's going on in the iPhone small screen.

Thank You. :)

I'll have to update it for 2013 - key is the same but for 15.0; attachment security was new in 2000 Sp1.

You yourself don't need it set to send exe's - but once you add the exe you can't delete it from the message. The warning message is confusing and sounds like the attachment won't send, but its wrong.

iCloud needs to set up outlook with it closed. If you have a me/mac/iCloud email address it will set that account up for you.

I'll have to update it for 2013 - key is the same but for 15.0; attachment security was new in 2000 Sp1.

You yourself don't need it set to send exe's - but once you add the exe you can't delete it from the message. The warning message is confusing and sounds like the attachment won't send, but its wrong.

I know, it looks like that Outlook will not send any EXE's, but I'll take your word for it. What will this attachment security do once I change the registry?

iCloud needs to set up outlook with it closed. If you have a me/mac/iCloud email address it will set that account up for you.

Okay, so I should close Outlook, then run iCloud. The first time I did it, iCloud didn't do anything. Now, as I'm typing, iCloud is setting up the iCloud for Outlook. I can't exit iCloud, do I have to leave it on while Outlook is running? This is all new to me.

Thank you again. :)

Okay, I have Outlook 2013 open now. I do have an iCloud folder, but it only has Trash and Search Folders in it. No Inbox, Sent Items, Deleted Items, Junk E-Mail, or Outbox folders. I can't even send anything from my iCloud e-mail account via Outlook. Did I do something wrong, again? :eek:

Thank You.

David

The iCloud folder is calendar & contacts only. The email account is added separately as an imap account and has the mail folders.

In File, Account Settings, Email - is the imap account listed?

This is what the folder list (ctrl+6) looks like with iCloud and a me account - This screenshot is from 2010, so i also need a pst file to send mail from imap.

icloud-tree.png

BTW - if the email account was added, the iCloud control panel looks like this:

icloud-control-panel.png

if there is not an email account set up, there is a banner above the mail, calendar and contacts block telling you there is no email account.

Okay, thank you for the screen shot. After I ran iCloud, it was in the banner above the mail, but still no Inbox or other folders. So what I did was go into File -> Account Settings -> iCloud -> Change -> More Settings -> Advanced (to make sure that there were account settings - you can skip this part completely if you want), then once your satisfied with everything, just click OK. You should now be back to the Change Account Screen! Then all you have to do is click on Next, it will test all the settings, and then click on Finished. The next screen should be telling you "You're all set!" "We have all the information we need to set up your account." Next, close the screen, and now you should be all set up with iCloud in Outlook!

Basically all you need to do is File -> Account Settings -> iCloud -> Change -> Next -> Close (after Outlook is finished testing the settings) -> Finish (After you get to the "You're all set!" screen) -> Close . Now go to your Inbox (along with the other needed folders (Drafts (This computer only), Sent Items (This computer only), Deleted Items (This computer only), Junk E-mail (This computer only), Notes, Outbox, Sent Messages, Search Folders)), and you should all be set!

Apple/Microsoft should put out similar instructions so the "Average Joe" can easily set up their iCloud e-mail with Outlook. It sure would have saved me allot of time and effort. Hopefully other Outlook users who have iCloud e-mail accounts will find this helpful before posting any questions. :)

This has all been one big and challenging learning experience for me. Nothing bets learning by experience, except if you don't come to a successful conclusion. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.