Status
Not open for further replies.

gmileon

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi,

We recently implemented an email retention policy of 6 months for company email. We are enforcing the policy on Exchange 2010 and on our Barracuda Message Archiver (BMA). Getting rid of the PST’s has been a headache. The BMA found the PST’s on our network and imported them. But it won’t actually remove them from workstations and file servers. We disabled the creation of new PST’s and disabled PST growth using group policy. We asked users to close their old archives in Outlook 2010, and deleted the associated PST when they did. But as you would imagine, many Outlook users are dragging their feet. So that is the crux of the problem – how do we get rid of the remaining PST’s while users are still connected to them? As far as I know, it isn’t possible to delete a PST while it’s open in Outlook. We could delete them when Outlook is closed, but that will cause Outlook to throw an error the next time it’s launched (and then the phone rings). We’re looking for a way to automatically detach PST’s, that is invisible to the end-user. We suspect this will have to be done programmatically. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

This VBA will do it - but it might be better to use vbscript/windows scripting so its outside of outlook- then push it out in a logon script.

With this at least, Outlook can be open.

Option Explicit

Sub RemovePSTs()

On Error Resume Next

Dim o 'As Outlook.Application

Dim s 'As Outlook.Stores

Dim f 'As Outlook.Folder

Dim i 'As Integer

Set o = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

Set s = o.Session.Stores

i = 1

Do Until i > s.Count
If s(i).ExchangeStoreType = 3 Then
Set f = s(i).GetRootFolder
o.Session.RemoveStore f
If Err <> 0 Then
i = i + 1
Err.Clear
End If
Else
i = i + 1
End If

Loop

End Sub

Ok... save that as a *.vbs (removing Sub... and End sub lines) and it can be run in a logon script, removing pst files in the default profile. If the user's profile is not the default, it won't remove the pst files - however, if its run when Outlook is open, it removes the pst files in the active profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
X Run macro automatically when a mail appears in the sent folder Using Outlook 5
J Calendar events created on iPhone automatically changing default alert from 'None' to 'Time of Event' Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
Z Automatically adjust Outlook Reading Pane from bottom to right depending on portrait or landscape window Using Outlook 1
G Automatically delete email when a condition is met Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Hornblower409 Automatically or Manually Backup Multiple Versions of VbaProject.OTM Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Outlook 2019 Automatically move email after assigning category Using Outlook 4
G automatically choosing "add to autocorrect" option Using Outlook 0
L Why are some email automatically going to "archive" Using Outlook 2
Z Outlook 365 Automatically assign categories to incoming mail in a shared folder Round Robin Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Automatically delete messages in the synchronization folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
C Automatically Insert Recipient Name from To Field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
E Remove flag automatically Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 Move newly created tasks automatically on save. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Outlook 365 Switching from AOL to Yahoo automatically Using Outlook 5
P Print attachments automatically and move the mail to an existing folder called "Ted" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
B Zoom automatically next email item (VBA) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Paul Hobbs Automatically accept "Empty Folders" prompt Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
diver864 vba for a rule to automatically accept meeting requests with 'vacation' in subject, change to all-day event, change to free, don't send reply Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Custom Search Folders not refreshing/updating automatically Using Outlook 0
M Automatically add senders first name to a greeting Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Add Form to Appointments Received, Automatically Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
J Automatically forward email and apply template Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Y Outlook 2013 Stop Outlook from automatically assigning categories to Tasks Using Outlook 0
O Forward a email with modified body Automatically. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A How to open a specific link automatically with outlook 2016 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
P Automatically Categorize Meetings once they are accepted Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
W Automatically open attachments without automatically printing them Using Outlook 0
N How to set automatically the default or user defined Quickstyle Templates by Answer in Outlook Using Outlook 1
O Run macro automatically at sending an email Using Outlook 11
D Outlook 2016 automatically increment anniversaries Using Outlook 1
T Office 2013 no longer updating automatically Using Outlook 2
B Automatically Forward Emails and Remove/Replace All or Part of Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
D Print attachments automatically and moves the mail to a new folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
A How to open a specific link automatically with outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 13
L Automatically Insert Recipient Name from To Field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 33
N how to sync automatically when outlook opens Using Outlook 10
A Sort emails into subfolders based on sender and deleting emails automatically Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
undercover_smother Automatically Forward All Sent Mail and Delete After Send Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
C Need VBA code to automatically save message outside outlook and add date Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
stephen li VBA Outlook send mail automatically by specified outlook mail box Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Make Enter Network Password Prompt Go Away Automatically Using Outlook 0
I Print Automatically Attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Automatically selecting folders and deleting messages in Outlook VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
M Outlook 2016 Rules Not Working Automatically Using Outlook 5
Diane Poremsky Automatically create a task when sending a message Using Outlook 0
D Is it possible to automatically send an email when it is moved to a folder? Exchange Server Administration 1
A Automatically send email based on drop-down field? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Automatically create event in calendar when task is created Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Diane Poremsky Create Appointment From Email Automatically Using Outlook 0
Cameron Piper Automatically update custom forms across multiple computers Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1