Choose-outlook-startup-folder with VBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Proud

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2013
Hello, In Outlook I use PickFolder to choose a file folder within Outlook Explorer area.
Something like this code:

Set iNameSpace = myOutlookApplication.GetNamespace("MAPI")
'User Dialog Popup Window to choose a directory for Processing within Outlook
'Store Chosen Directory in variable "ChosenFolder"
Set ChosenFolder = iNameSpace.PickFolder
If ChosenFolder Is Nothing Then
GoTo ExitSub:
End If

What I want to do, is specify the start/default directory for the User Dialog Popup Window - so I can store the last try in registry, call it again later from registry the next time and specify it as starting point to choose.
I know the PickFolder has no option for this, BUT, what I did determine is that the "default" start directory is in fact what the user has specified as the start-up folder in Outlook.
If I change this, the next time I use PickFolder, it will sttart at this directory - GREAT!!!
upload_2015-4-13_9-30-12.png

Here is another link that shows how to change that directory:
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/choose-outlook-startup-folder/

So, what I want to do, is use a macro/VBA code to change this Start-up directory dynamically whenever I want to, thus affecting my PickFolder default directory.

For the life of me, I cannot find out how to change this with VBA.

Please provide me code to change this property/configuration so I can get this working :)

I don't think that would work as Outlook reads the registry only once at startup. See the Redemption, which is free for private users. Its PickFolder function allows to pass the start folder.

If I have outlook open and I use Its PickFolder function it defaults to the start folder. Then, if I simply change the start folder in the options menu, and then re-run the same code, it immediately defaults to the new folder I selected. This is what I determined before I asked the question.
I would really appreciate it if you could provide me the code to change that start-up directory so I could try it.
I have never heard of Redemption and for the sake of this one thing I would "like" to avoid learning something new.
If you insist on me using this Redemption thing, I suppose I will have to take the time.

I don't have a code for that. Note, Outlook can store and use the result of Pickfolder internally without the need to read the registry.

At the end of the day, all I want to accomplish, is avoid the user having to select a directory every time I call the pickfolder in Outlook. I just want to be able to apply the last used folder in some way - storing it in Registry was what I thought of and have no issue doing, but I cannot find a way to specify a start folder for the PickFolder function.
Other than Redemption and other than Pickfolder, is there possibly another function that presents the user a popup dialog that has the ability to specify a default directory?

There's no such function, you'd have to program the entire dialog yourself.

Ok, I tried many things and different resources that all dead ended.
I gave up on this due to the low usage of the pickfolder.
Thanks for all you help and effort!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J outlook 2007 doesn't let me choose which .pst to search Using Outlook 2
R "Can't store Outlook data files under the AppData folder. Please choose another folder." Using Outlook 6
Diane Poremsky Choose the Folder Outlook Starts Up In Using Outlook 0
M Outlook displays "choose folder" for each sent item. Using Outlook 2
C Outlook 2007 - Recover Deleted Items - Columns to Choose from Using Outlook 1
D multiple email accounts - why do I have to choose the "from" account address?? Using Outlook 2
O Benefits of Exchange over IMAP and why would I choose Exchange? Using Outlook 2
B Choose commands from Macros is empty Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Diane Poremsky How to choose which Calendar creates reminders? Using Outlook 0
M Save selected email message as .msg file (with user to choose folder location) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 14
K How to choose from a list of templates in a shared drive folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
L How do i choose where i file my sent messages? Using Outlook 1
J how to choose which item alone go to pst ? OR how to auto sync/copy calender Using Outlook 1
B How to choose which contacts folder to use when saving contacts? Using Outlook 1
F Choose Which Calendar/PST Creates Reminder Using Outlook 3
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
S Related messages show in main Outlook window vice new Advanced Find windows Using Outlook 1
H Force Outlook 2019 with GMail 2-Step to Require Login? Using Outlook 0
G Retaining Tabs in outlook body Using Outlook 2
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
X Custom icon (not from Office 365) for a macro in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Victor_50 Problem - Google Workspace will stop "unsafe" access to Outlook end 2024 Using Outlook 3
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 365 won't take new working password Using Outlook 0
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
D Delete Outlook emails from MS server Using Outlook 12
B Outlook tasks and PDF Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2019 is no longer asking for password ... Using Outlook 5
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
L Outlook attachments from OneDrive as links Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
M Synchronization and backup of Outlook from local to server. Using Outlook 8
T How to get an EVENT COLOR option in Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 0
K How can I delete an e-mail from Outlook Using Outlook 1
V Outlook Error The Attempted operation Failed. An Object Could Not be found Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Yahoo/IMAP folder rename by Outlook desktop 365 Using Outlook 0
A Outlook 2019 folder counter Using Outlook 0
A Relocate Search Bar in Outlook Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Need clarification on 2-Step Verification for Gmail using Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 10
L Opening People Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2021 not letting me setup my Gmail using pop Using Outlook 1
Geldner Problem submitting SPAM using Outlook VBA Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P VBA to add email address to Outlook 365 rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Outlook 2016 outlook vba to look into shared mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Can no longer sync Outlook with iPhone calendar after iPhone update to 17.1.1 Using Outlook 7
O Outlook - Switch from Exchange to IMAP Using Outlook 2