which file/s to backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terradon

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I'm puzzled. I'm using Windows 10 and Outlook 16. I first started using this on a laptop runnin Windows 8.1 and set up accounts as IMAP. When a drive failed I restored from a backup and learned that IMAP (.ost) doesn't contain calendar, contact, or category information. I created a new profile, this time setting the accounts to the pop server and using a new pst file. Wanting to be sure that my calendar, categories and contacts woul be backed up when the pst was, I checked the time stamps of the files. I open Control panel>mail and choose the data files tab, all data files are .pst. The same is true if I go through Profiles. All are located in C:\Users\Myloginname\Documents\Outlook Files\. what is puzzling is that there is also an.ost located in C:\Users\Myloginname\appadata\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. The modified time stamp is current for the ost and pst. Two related questions:
1) Why is there an ost if all accounts are pop and use a pst file as the data file? (I deleted it and it was recreated)
2) If I ensure that the pst is in a backup, can I be sure that restoring it will also restore my calendar, categories, and contacts?

I don't know why outlook created and is loading the ost but its not using it if you are using pop3. If you used autoaccount setup and then switched to pop3, it could be some leftover artifacts in the profile. It should either be 256KB, 512KB, or 16,424KB. Those are all empty sizes.

Our recommended configuration is IMAP with a pst set as default - this is the only supported IMAP config in older versions - and gives you the benefit of IMAP but without the risk of losing calendar and contacts.

I was puzzled by it, too. But I've had a stroke and had a fire destroy everything, then the laptop that was supposed to get me through until the house was rebuilt, alerted that the harddrive failed an internal test. It was less than 3 weeks old! So, I just chalked it up the Outlook issues to stress and old age! Looking on the positive, I saw an opportunity to build a desktop with the power that I needed and a clean install of window 10 and all my programs. I imported the .ost from an image of the failing drive and soon discovered that all of my calendars, categories, and contacts were missing. Always looking for the easiest way, I followed your directions for creating a .pst. But what I hadn't realized was that each account now had it's own inbox. I accounts were using their own data file. I just added the contents of those inbox and other folders to my primary inbox and then deleted all but the primary account. Once again, I set up each account, this time making sure that they all used the one primary account's data file.
Now there is no .ost file and the calendar, categories, and contacts are as before.
Instead of spending time trying to figure out what was wrong, I should have just acknowledged that I might never "figure it out" and just experimented till it was the way that worked for me.

As a quick follow up. Losing everything in the fire made me look at "cloud" backups. The programs that held the most promise from a security and cost standpoint were not able to backup .ost files, but could take incrementals of open .pst files. And thus the saga began....

If you are using imap, you only need to back up the pst that holds the calendar and contacts. While you can't connect the pst outlook when its stored in the cloud, you can store a backup copy of the pst in cloud storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Restoring Outlook from backup pst file Using Outlook 5
V Backup Calendar, Contacts, Tasks in an POP3 data file Using Outlook 3
D PST file backup Using Outlook 1
R Missing Backup command in File menu after installing pfback.exe Using Outlook 2
V Outlook Data File (PST) - Auto Backup Solution Using Outlook 3
D Outlook 2010 .pst file backup Using Outlook 2
M Backup Outlook Data File BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
D DB/Object/Record vs File/List/Range Terminology Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Rob Can't save MailItem because the message changed in .pst file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Advanced search terms for "Outlook Data File" Using Outlook 1
G Save emails as msg file from Outlook Web AddIn (Office JS) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E Outlook 365 Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - oMail.Delete not working when SEARCH Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E Save Selected Email Message as .msg File - digitally sign email doesn't works Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
W Outlook 365 File access denied attempting to import .pst Using Outlook 6
P Copying ALL calendar entries from Calender in PST file to IMAP OST file? Using Outlook 1
R Saving Emails and Attachments as .msg file Using Outlook 3
M Outlook Macro to save as Email with a file name format : Date_Timestamp_Sender initial_Email subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
W Create a Quick Step or VBA to SAVE AS PDF in G:|Data|Client File Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Wotme create email only data file Using Outlook 1
C "The linked image cannot be displayed. The file may have been moved, renamed, or deleted. Verify that the link points to the correct file location" Using Outlook 1
W Transfer Outlook 2016 autocomplete file to Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
DoctorJellybean Use OST file location for fresh installation? Using Outlook 1
HarvMan Exporting IMAP OST file to PST Using Outlook 5
P File Picker for attachment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Forwarding email based on the attachment file type and specific text found on the attachment file name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N File Picker for attachment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
N Save Selected Email Message as .msg File Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
L Article on merging pst file Using Outlook 1
J Deliver new messages to New or Existing Data File? Using Outlook 2
F VBA to move email from Non Default folder to Sub folders as per details given in excel file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
T vba extract data from msg file as attachment file of mail message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Macro to file emails into subfolder based on subject line Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O Comma Separated Values.ADR and A file error has occurred in the translator Using Outlook 6
R Problem moving file “Email folders.pst” to new PC Using Outlook 5
B vBA for exporting excel file from outlook 2016 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
V Pin a document to the "Attach file" Recent Documents list Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2016 Unable to load Outlook data pst file Using Outlook 5
K Need to convert .mmf file to .pst format Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
S save attachment with date & time mentioned inside the file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E Having some trouble with a run-a-script rule (moving mail based on file type) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
B Can I create a local PST file for SPAM on a drive that is usually disconnected? Using Outlook 3
C Macro to extract sender name & subject line of incoming emails to single txt file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
P Outlook pst file is too huge with POP3. How to save more space? Using Outlook 4
G Cannot Move Autocomplete File to New Computer Using Outlook 15
B Outlook 2013 erratically deleting original file that is attached Using Outlook 0
I Outlook 365 - import/attach PST file that used POP3 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
M Deleting attachments does not reduce file size Using Outlook 0
P PST file is getting huge under POP 3 Using Outlook 2
I Saving attachments from multiple emails and updating file name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
F Script for zip file attachment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1