Convert POP3 account (PST) to IMAP (.OST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Thomas

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
I have a friend with a long-time account on Outlook Desktop (2013 or 2016 - not sure), his computer is now running Windows 10 - with Australian ISP Telstra (bigpond.com). His email connection is using POP3, and he organized his email into a number of folders within Outlook.

He has been advised to export each folder's emails to a PST, from Outlook. Then, create / connect as an IMAP account (same email, ISP, etc) and import those emails from the newly-created .PST files, and organize them into folders. It seems an unwieldy and possibly error-prone procedure.

(I get confused by IMAP / MAPI - hope I have the described the above with the "best" protocol)

Is there an article on Slipstick that gives a step-by-step way to achieve what he wants? I will search for it, from past experience those tutorials / articles are excellent and designed to stop people stumbling through and messing things up totally with this sort of operation.

An issue may be Contacts, Calendars, etc - I'm not sure.

Any pointers will be very welcome.

I don't think i have a tutorial for this scenario, but you really shouldn't need one.

His email connection is using POP3
No need to export - its already in a pst. Make a copy of it as a backup.

Then, create / connect as an IMAP account (same email, ISP, etc) and import those emails from the newly-created .PST files, and organize them into folders. It seems an unwieldy and possibly error-prone procedure.
Honestly, i would keep them in the pst - remove the pop account and it back as imap. New mail can be filed on the imap server and if there is mail he needs on two computers, move or copy it to the imap server, but leave the bulk of it in the pst. It's safer, especially if his mailbox isn't large.

I had a client a couple of weeks ago who did exactly what your friend was told to do - then he started receiving 'over quota' warnings and i helped him archive all of the older mail back into a pst.

Thanks Diane. I think Robert will take it from here - we have been talking about a further thing he wants to do, which is to keep the email .ost or .pst size for the new emails to a minimum on his SSD, which has limited space (that will be the .ost for IMAP, new emails) .

He has yet to create an account here to be able to post.

which is to keep the email .ost or .pst size for the new emails to a minimum on his SSD
He has two options for this - use the sync slider (imap and exchange) or move the data files to a new folder. Moving pst files is easy, especially since outlook defaults to putting them in the documents folder (in Outlook Files folder).
See How to move IMAP data files for instructions to move IMAP data files - i highly recommend using the ForcePSTPath registry key before setting up the account. (Yes, imap now uses ost, but follows the force pst key)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K Need to convert .mmf file to .pst format Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
T Why does outlook 2010 convert only some forum notifications to plain text? Using Outlook 0
Z VBA to convert email to task, insert text of email in task notes, and attach copy of original email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
M Convert Subject Line to Internet Header version of Subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
E To convert imported data to custom fields in Task list Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P How do I convert outlook “to-do” items to “tasks” Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S problem with convert Using Outlook 1
I Outlook 2016 64bit - on receipt convert emails into PDF and save Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C convert an .ost to .pst Using Outlook 3
D The way to convert ost to pst Using Outlook 2
J Outlook 2013 how to convert 2013 OST file into an another format, i m using outlook 2013 versions. Using Outlook 1
sneaky30 convert text to date Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Is it possible to convert address book to "Auto-Complete List" (NK2)? Using Outlook 5
Diane Poremsky Convert an Offline File (.ost) to a Personal File (.pst) Using Outlook 0
S How to do I convert OST file to PST? Exchange Server Administration 3
J convert .pst to .eml, how is it possible? Using Outlook 1
M convert/import a customized record into the default "Account" record BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
V Check/convert to emailaddresses Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
R Convert Access table to pst Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2013 won't convert Excel contacts into Outlook contacts using my custom form Using Outlook 3
L Convert Distribution List of Contacts to Single Contacts Using Outlook 6
G Is there any way to convert outlook 2003 to outlook 2007 Using Outlook 5
D Outlook contacts no in address book - 2002 pst file convert to 2007 pst file? Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2002 - How to upgrade to 2003 and convert PST from ANSI to Unicode? Using Outlook 7
A Outlook 2003: convert all RTF emails to HTML Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J How to convert BCM contacts to normal Outlook contacts BUT... BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
G Tasks - convert email to task & attach email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
A Re: Convert Oportunity to Project? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
B convert VBA code to Add-in Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Q How tough is it to convert VBA to Addin Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Outlook 2019 accesses POP3 but says its offline (because of IMAP servers?) Using Outlook 0
V Backup Calendar, Contacts, Tasks in an POP3 data file Using Outlook 3
hstein POP3 latest Outlook Using Outlook 0
S office 2016 pop3 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
P Outlook pst file is too huge with POP3. How to save more space? Using Outlook 4
I Outlook 365 - import/attach PST file that used POP3 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
O Outlook 365 - suddenly unable to send using Gmail POP3 Using Outlook 10
O How to recover rules after switch from POP3 to IMAP Using Outlook 2
O Office 365 using POP3 on both laptop and desktop Using Outlook 0
E 365 Outlook changed from POP3 to IMAP,all contacts lost Using Outlook 3
T Changing default Mail Account in Outlook 2016 - POP3 Using Outlook 1
R Add Exchange Account to existing POP3 Outlook 2007 Profile Using Outlook 0
Travis Lloyd Linking Outlook 2016 Desktop To POP3 Acc't On Android Phone Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
O POP3 vs iMAP? Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Manually create a POP3 account in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 0
M Google Apps Mail *SENT* from iPhone doesn't download to Outlook via POP3 Using Outlook 1
T Migrate POP3 Folders and Emails to outlook.com via Outlook 2013 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
Davzell Change default pop3 account with script, prf or registery ? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Netpilot How To Break Up Huge POP3 Downloads? Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Send from Other Addresses using POP3 or IMAP Accounts Using Outlook 0