Migrate POP3 Folders and Emails to outlook.com via Outlook 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim.red

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
I learned a lot about what to do and what NOT to do after over 30 hours of trying to successfully migrate off of an ancient POP3 RoadRunner account and onto what I thought would be a more efficient, intuitive and seamless email management solution: Outlook 2013 client application with a new outlook.com email account.

I learned that although I tried to setup a mail profile in Outlook 2013 with both Outlook IMAP and EAS email accounts within the profile, I was unable to successfully copy all of my folders and emails from my POP3 account (whether by virtue of copying them or importing them) to the IMAP account. Some folders and emails migrated, others did not. I did learn that folder names matter. Many special characters caused problems. Fixed that issue, but still unable to use the prescribed method of copying or importing from the POP3 folders to the IMAP folders and then having the folders and emails propagate to their final destination: outlook.com EAS.

I worked with Microsoft tech support for outlook.com via chat for hours to no avail. I worked with 3 different representatives and they didn't appear to know any definitive answers...more hours of experimentation.

I finally setup Outlook 2010 with the Hotmail connector and was able to successfully migrate all 250 folders and subfolders and over 3,000 emails. (sounds like hoarding, but they are all active folders and information that I need to readily access). I did notice that I need to do a Q.A. check on the folders and contents and realized that some folders and emails, for whatever reason, did not migrate and I had to re-attempt until successful.

I thought that I had performed everything necessary. All folders and emails were now stored on outlook.com. I cleared everything out of Outlook 2013 and created a new profile with my new outlook.com account and all folders and emails stored on the outlook.com server propagated to my Outlook 2013 client.

Last steps were to copy contacts and calendar which was a fairly simple copy and paste from my POP3 PST file into the respective folders in Outlook 2013.

So ...I don't know why the IMAP/EAS dual account setup worked on Outlook 2010, but not 2013. By the way, I did this on 2 different PCs, both running Windows 10, 64-bit.

And now I just found several folders and emails (about 500 emails) that I missed during Q.A. and now they need to be migrated.

Is there any possible way on earth to move them from my POP3 PST file to my new outlook account short of emailing them all to my outlook account? It's a bit much at this point to set up Outlook 2010 again on my other PC and go through the entire exercise.

Diane Poremensky, you seem to know this subject matter in exquisite detail. Perhaps you can share your thoughts?

Thanks, Tim

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Was the account migrated to the new outlook.com server? Can you wait a few weeks to upload them? Outlook.com Migration Status

>> I don't know why the IMAP/EAS dual account setup worked on Outlook 2010
EAS doesn't work in Outlook 2010 - the outlook connector uses DeltaSync, not EAS. You can't upload mail using EAS, but as you discovered, the (old) Outlook.com server is finicky about folder names when you use imap.

The new server is on Office 365 backend - aka Exchange server. Once your account is migrated and you set it up in Outlook as an exchange account, you can import from the pst and wait for it to sync (assuming you are well under the mailbox size quota). If you don't need the older mail on the server right now, i recommend waiting. It shouldn't be too much longer... maybe 2 months or so.

tim.red

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
You
Was the account migrated to the new outlook.com server? Can you wait a few weeks to upload them? Outlook.com Migration Status

>> I don't know why the IMAP/EAS dual account setup worked on Outlook 2010
EAS doesn't work in Outlook 2010 - the outlook connector uses DeltaSync, not EAS. You can't upload mail using EAS, but as you discovered, the (old) Outlook.com server is finicky about folder names when you use imap.

The new server is on Office 365 backend - aka Exchange server. Once your account is migrated and you set it up in Outlook as an exchange account, you can import from the pst and wait for it to sync (assuming you are well under the mailbox size quota). If you don't need the older mail on the server right now, i recommend waiting. It shouldn't be too much longer... maybe 2 months or so.
You're awesome Diane, you told me something that three Microsoft technicians apparently had no knowledge of and now it makes total sense. I am on the old server and I can wait. Thanks again and my deepest admiration for your skills, ability and willingness to help and share information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Outlook 2016 Migrate 'On My Computer' (local storage) Calendar from Mac Outlook to Exchange Account Using Outlook 5
B Migrate Outlook 2007 to Office 365 Using Outlook 3
J Migrate from godaddy 365 to office 365 home Using Outlook 8
P Migrate Office 365 mailbox to a different on-premises domain Using Outlook 1
F I want to migrate Outlook journal to excel including contact names Using Outlook 10
T OL BCM 2007 - Possible to migrate SQL Server Express 2012 ? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
J migrate outlook mail folders from user's old workstation to their new pc Using Outlook 6
T Items in MSN Hotmail inbox will not migrate to Outlook inbox Using Outlook 2
R Migrate Mac Outlook 2011 to PC outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
J Too many email folders on MSN issue. Migrate to Outlook? Using Outlook 3
A windows 2003 server with exchange2003 server migrate to windows 2008 std with exchange server 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
J Migrate from SBS 2008 to Windows Server 2008 R2 (Exchange 2010) Exchange Server Administration 8
L Exchange 2003 on SBS to migrate Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
M Public Folders Not Replicating Between Exchange 2007 and 2010 (Migrate/Transitioning 2007 to 2010) Exchange Server Administration 6
P Trying to migrate email from PST to Hotmail; large emails break the connector with 'Network operation failed' Using Outlook 3
E Migrate exchange 2007 to a new server with exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
S Configure outlook client after migrate mailbox from exchange 2003 to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 3
R Migrate Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 Cross-Forest Exchange Server Administration 4
J Migrate Exchange 2010 to another server Exchange Server Administration 3
M migrate from exchange 2003 to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 6
A CAS Proxying with Active Sync when migrate from Exchange 2007 to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
P migrate mailbox from exchange 2003 to exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 11
R migrate resources Exchange Server Administration 1
F A new Profile did not migrate the folders into Office Outlook 2010 from HotMail Using Outlook 4
B Migrate from 2000 to 2010 without upgrade? Exchange Server Administration 1
V Mailbox Size after Migrate 2003 to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 10
N Can I migrate Exchange 2007 's mailboxes in A domain to the trusted B domain ? Exchange Server Administration 3
M Method to migrate OE personal folders to Outlook PSTs? Using Outlook 2
S Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 migrate Exchange Server Administration 7
M Need help to migrate Outlook to a new User Profile in XP Using Outlook 1
S Migrate from Exchange 2007 to 2010 and use existing SAN certificate Exchange Server Administration 11
S Migrate Public Folder (Exchange 2007 --> Exchange 2010) Exchange Server Administration 8
X How to migrate from two Exchange 2003 servers to one Exchange 2010 serving two currently independent AD domains Exchange Server Administration 2
M Migrate from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 3
F Exchange 2010 -Powershell to migrate 2003 users to 2010? Exchange Server Administration 2
A Migrate Public Folders from EX2003 to EX2010 Server Exchange Server Administration 7
P How to migrate existing Exchange 2010 to new server with different computer name. Exchange Server Administration 14
D Exchange 2010 cannot migrate mailbox for exchange 2003 Exchange Server Administration 2
S migrate policies/OAB from exchange 2007 to exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 3
W How to migrate mailboxes from Postfix v 2.5.5 to Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 3
C How to migrate e-mails from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2010 Beta without a server, from a local machine? Using Outlook 1
D Migrate from Zimbra to Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 4
U how do you migrate from windows 2008 srv and ms exchange 2007 to a windows 2008 srv and excahnge Exchange Server Administration 2
F Migrate from GroupWise System Exchange Server Administration 4
P Migrate profile - cached mode setting Using Outlook 2
C Migrate Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 (Resource Forest) Exchange Server Administration 11
K Migrate FROM Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2007? Exchange Server Administration 2
S Migrate users and mailboxes from 2003 sbs to 2008 R2 Enterprise? Exchange Server Administration 3
M Migrate Exchange 2000 Data To Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 5
T Is it possible to migrate from exchange 2003 directly to 2010? Exchange Server Administration 13