Outlook 365 - suddenly unable to send using Gmail POP3

Post number 7 has been selected as the best answer.

ofw62

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Suddenly communicating with Gmail servers stopped working. I didn't change anything, but got an error "Sending' reported error (0x800CCC1A) : 'Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.'
I removed the Gmail accounts and tried to re-install them, but no luck.
They are POP3 accounts and the settings were fine, until very recently. Yesterday(?)

Am using the latest Outlook 365 version (1910 build 12130.20272 Click-to-Run).
Didn't change anything within my Google account.

I know IMAP is the way to go, but as long as POP3 is available... I have many archive .pst files.

Any suggestions?
Is this a Gmail issue or my ISP ?

thanks.

ofw62

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Both, incoming and outgoing. Created a new mail account (3rd time): Outlook > File > Account Settings > Manage Profiles > Mail Setup.
Bad luck.
Allow less secure apps is set to 'ON'.

Outlook-POP3-Gmail-Cannot communicate with server-issue-15112019 064345.png

BTW ... It strikes me, when adding an account using File>Account Settings>Add Account, the option:
"My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" is missing, contrary to mail setup in the above way (using 'manage profiles').

Outlook-POP3-Gmail-My outgoing server requires authentication-missing-15112019 070154.png

Peculiar it is...

-
Later...
There is an article about this issue and the suggestion was made to uncheck the option "This server requires an encrypted connection(SSL)"
Tried that, didn't work either.

Last edited:

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I've seen a few reports in Microsoft forums too. It's working here - with imap and 2FA. I'll test it on a second account that does not have 2FA enabled.

I know from experience with gmail, is they will turn off 2FA and make you review recent access before they will let you connect.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
It worked here with manual setup, POP account, and no 2FA. Autoaccount setup was failing - then i remembered i wanted to do a POP account, since you are doing pop.

ofw62

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Hi Diane, meanwhile found the solution:
change a registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.3\Client
set Enabled to 0
(it is set to 1 by default)
see
TenForums: Outlook cannot connect to GMail - Windows 10 Help Forums
and
Gmail Help Forum: Outlook 365 - Gmail-POP3 - (0x800CCC1A) : 'Your server does not support the connection encryption... - Gmail Help

In my case, after changing the registry key and rebooting, the accounts were back again....
No need to recreate them. Download went fine.

Experimental TLS1.3 should have been disabled.

Ref: What's new in Windows 10, version 1909 IT Pro content

Regedit-Security-SCHANNEL-Protocol-TLS1.3-Set Enabled to 0-16112019 071548.png

Lewis-H

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
  1. Enter your Gmail account (click on Gmail in your browser).
  2. Proceed to the top right corner.
  3. Locate the gear icon and click on it to open the Settings menu.
  4. Go to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
  5. Proceed to the Enable IMAP option and select it.
  6. Make sure that the status says, ‘IMAP is enabled’.
  7. Save your changes.
Well done. It’s time to tweak your Gmail account security settings.
2. Allow less secure apps
In fact, your security settings might be behind the issue. Here is what you should do:
  1. Enter your Google account: navigate to the top right corner of the screen, click on your profile picture, and click on My Account.
  2. Select Sign-in & security. Then proceed to Connected apps & sites.
  3. Locate Allow less secure apps and enable this feature.
  4. Make sure to save the changes.
Your success is just around the corner, so keep working your way down.
Hope this helps you!
Regards,
Lewis

PC_Doctor_Martin

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
Hi; I spent ages hammering away at this for a customer (Outlook 2007, POP3, gmail), tweaking SSL and TLS in the registry, after having run SCANPST and corrected errors; the error was " (0x800CCC1A) : 'Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified." Nothing worked. So, I disconnected the PST file and rebuilt. (quit outlook, rename the PST, restart and let it create a new PST, reconnect the old PST (File, Open, Outlook Data File), move emails into the new folders, done). Everything was fine. So, despite the error message, the problem was database corruption (not fixed by SCANPST, of course), not with the protocols and transport.

PC_Doctor_Martin

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
POP3
I spent ages working on this for a customer (Outlook 2007, POP3, gmail), trying everything concerned with protocols; using regedit, tweaking SSL and TLS, recreating new email profiles, looking at the firewall, malware etc.; nothing worked. I had of course also run SCANPST. In desperation, I disconnected the PST file and created a new one, and everything was fine. I was then able to reconnect the old PST, and copy across the emails. So, it was just a case of database corruption, and despite the error message had nothing to do with encryption or protocols. And SCANPST didn't help. Lesson learned!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
HarvMan Outlook 365 Calendar Using Outlook 12
L Outlook 2016 Contacts missing in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 1
J Edit auto-complete list in Outlook 2016+/365? Using Outlook 0
GregS Outlook 365 blocked by Google popup Using Outlook 2
O Synchronising contacts Outlook 365 with Google v.v. Using Outlook 4
David in Mississippi New (Feb 2020) install of Outlook 365 - Cannot specify PST for different accounts Using Outlook 0
O Outlook 365 Exchange .ost within Personal Vaul Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2016 Deleting emails without affecting folder structure - Outlook Office 365 Using Outlook 3
H In outlook 365 POP mail Inbox, email takes a long time or never arrives. Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 365 - Folder pane list clears Using Outlook 24
J Copy to calendar function no longer working in outlook 365 Using Outlook 5
T Interim Outlook 365 Setup Using Outlook 2
T I'm thinking about moving from outlook.com to the Outlook I have in my Office 365 Using Outlook 1
M Outlook .com group does not show up in Outlook for office 365 home Using Outlook 3
Jennifer Murphy Outlook can't connect to Office 365 at resort hotel Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
DoctorJellybean Outlook 365 doesn't always mark emails as read Using Outlook 3
J Outlook Office 365 Win 10 how do I control background colors of events? Using Outlook 1
B Migrate Outlook 2007 to Office 365 Using Outlook 3
L Outlook Office 365 client: won't remember my setting File, not to collapse ribbon Using Outlook 2
G icloud pictures not showing in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 0
RBLampert Updating from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 365 Using Outlook 0
C Can't Open Outlook 365 Using Outlook 0
glnz How set up new IMAP on Outlook-Office 365 and merge in pst from Outlook 2003 for same two email accounts? Using Outlook 5
David Langer Outlook 2016 (365) How to restore the ability to Re-Map iCloud IMAP Folders Using Outlook 5
N Outlook 365 Email Notifications Using Outlook 0
M Outlook 365 Searching all shared calendars Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
C Move Outlook 2007 to new PC with Outlook 365 Using Outlook 3
G Calendar View in Outlook Office 365 - Doesn't show enough hours, and the 30/60 min choice isn't the solution Using Outlook 4
O Outlook 365 - Toolbar - Close all items - missing? Using Outlook 3
O Outlook 365 - Tasks are not synchronizing? Using Outlook 7
W Migrating Outlook 365 Contacts & Calendar Using Outlook 2
O Outlook 365 ignores ForceOSTpath - how to relocate it? Using Outlook 9
O Office 365 Outlook - mark to download Using Outlook 0
M Indexing Problems Outlook 365 Using Outlook 2
P Insert link in email body to attached document in Outlook 365 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Outlook 365 keeps closing Using Outlook 1
V Multiple Calendars in Outlook To-Do Bar; Office 365 Using Outlook 3
P Outlook 2016 Client and 365 - Groups Folder Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 365 Using Outlook 2
R How to delete Facebook Contacts folder in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 7
O Office 365 - Outlook - Password protect your mailbox Using Outlook 7
T Pick-a-Meeting in Outlook 365 New Slipstick.com Articles 2
Horsepower Office Outlook 365 home opens slower than a month ago Using Outlook 8
L Need to import multiple Outlook files to Office 365 Account Using Outlook 4
H Custom autoforwarding, sending mail through outlook office 365 Using Outlook 1
C Outlook (365) is crashing as soon as its opened Using Outlook 2
L Outlook Office 365 cached mode crashing Using Outlook 0
E 365 Outlook changed from POP3 to IMAP,all contacts lost Using Outlook 3
P Outlook 365 sending intermittently Using Outlook 0