Diane's Delay Delivery at Specific Times Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiers

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I have just implemented Diane's Delay Delivery of Messages Sent at Specific Times VBA script -- Delay Delivery of Messages Sent at Specific Times. It seems to be working. Now... I have two questions around this:
1. What happens if I want to send an emergency email immediately? Is there a quick button attached to a script that I could click instead of clicking the Outlook Send Button. What would that script be?

2. Is there a way to implement a holiday schedule? I'm experiencing this right now. My boss said NO EMAILS on Weekends or Holidays unless it was an emergency. I want to put in a calendar of "holidays" into the script to check if it is a holiday. This could be done yearly -- I don't care if it does. How would I do that?

I just tried to edit this entry above, but it is past the 3 minute time frame... I am using this code:

Private Sub Application_ItemSend(ByVal Item As Object, Cancel As Boolean) Dim dayname As String ' If after 6PM If Now() > DateSerial(Year(Now), Month(Now), Day(Now)) + #5:59:00 PM# Then sendat = DateSerial(Year(Now), Month(Now), Day(Now) + 1) + #8:00:00 AM# ' If before 8AM ElseIf Now() < DateSerial(Year(Now), Month(Now), Day(Now)) + #7:59:00 AM# Then sendat = DateSerial(Year(Now), Month(Now), Day(Now)) + #8:00:00 AM# ' We'll test the date of all messages ElseIf WeekdayName(Weekday(Now())) = "Saturday" Or WeekdayName(Weekday(Now())) = "Sunday" Then ' this will be changed by the next part if a weekend sendat = DateSerial(Year(Now), Month(Now), Day(Now)) + #11:00:00 PM# End If dayname = WeekdayName(Weekday(sendat)) Select Case dayname Case "Saturday" sendat = DateSerial(Year(Now), Month(Now), Day(Now) + 2) + #8:00:00 AM# Case "Sunday" sendat = DateSerial(Year(Now), Month(Now), Day(Now) + 1) + #8:00:00 AM# End Select Item.DeferredDeliveryTime = sendat Debug.Print Now(), dayname, sendat End Sub

1. What happens if I want to send an emergency email immediately? Is there a quick button attached to a script that I could click instead of clicking the Outlook Send Button. What would that script be?

2. Is there a way to implement a holiday schedule? I'm experiencing this right now. My boss said NO EMAILS on Weekends or Holidays unless it was an emergency. I want to put in a calendar of "holidays" into the script to check if it is a holiday. This could be done yearly -- I don't care if it does. How would I do that?
1. You need to add an If statement to check for a category, flag, importance, or keyword in the subject to bypass the hold. The macro can remove the value as part of the check.

This is the category method (code goes first - right after the DIM:
If Item.Categories = "Send Now" Then
Item.Categories = ""
Exit Sub
End if

2. I have a GetHolidays macro that checks the calendar for holidays. It would need implemented into the macro. I'll look it over and see if i can figure it out.

Not tested at all... I assume you want to delay the message an extra day if tomorrow is a holiday? i think this code + the Getholidays macro is a start - try it after the Sat/Sunday checks. I'm not sure if the V and sendat values need formatted - sendat might need to formatted as mm/dd/yy or using dateserial without the time added.

Again, i have not tested this.

Code:
Dim V As Variant 
Holidays = Split(strAllDayOOF, ",")
' test for holidays
For Each V In Holidays
      If V = sendat Then ' check the format for V and sendat and adjust as needed
          ' tomorrow is a holiday
          ' delay the message another day
   sendat = DateSerial(Year(sendat), Month(sendat), Day(sendat) + 1) + #8:00:00 AM#
          Exit For
      End If
Next V

Item.DeferredDeliveryTime = sendat

So, I'm running into issues where email that I am sending today (and appointment replies/forwards) are still holding in my outbox two days in advance. So, I must have something wrong here...

Code:
'Categorize Sent Items
'Place in ThisOutlookSession
Private Sub Application_ItemSend(ByVal Item As Object, Cancel As Boolean)
    If TypeOf Item Is Outlook.MailItem And Len(Item.Categories) = 0 Then
        Set Item = Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem
        Item.ShowCategoriesDialog
    End If

Dim dayname As String

If Item.Categories = "Send Now" Then
Item.Categories = ""
Exit Sub
End If

' If after 6PM
If Now() > DateSerial(Year(Now), Month(Now), Day(Now)) + #5:59:00 PM# Then
sendat = DateSerial(Year(Now), Month(Now), Day(Now) + 1) + #8:00:00 AM#
' If before 8AM
ElseIf Now() < DateSerial(Year(Now), Month(Now), Day(Now)) + #5:59:00 AM# Then
sendat = DateSerial(Year(Now), Month(Now), Day(Now)) + #8:00:00 AM#
' We'll test the date of all messages
ElseIf WeekdayName(Weekday(Now())) = "Saturday" Or WeekdayName(Weekday(Now())) = "Sunday" Then
' this will be changed by the next part if a weekend
sendat = DateSerial(Year(Now), Month(Now), Day(Now)) + #11:00:00 PM#
End If

dayname = WeekdayName(Weekday(sendat))

Select Case dayname
Case "Saturday"
sendat = DateSerial(Year(Now), Month(Now), Day(Now) + 2) + #8:00:00 AM#
Case "Sunday"
sendat = DateSerial(Year(Now), Month(Now), Day(Now) + 1) + #8:00:00 AM#
End Select
Item.DeferredDeliveryTime = sendat
Debug.Print Now(), dayname, sendat

End Sub

It's working find here - at least the best I can test it today - they are scheduled for 8AM tomorrow.

Good morning everyone. The script above is working fine, but I would like to tweak it a little more. RIght now I use a desktop computer from home and a laptop computer when I am mobile. This script works as designed and pushes the email to the Exchange Outbox. This outbox seems to be a "local" outbox and not one that moves with my mail from my desktop computer to my laptop computer. So, if I delay delivery on the mail at night time on my desktop computer, it will not send until I turn the desktop computer on again -- which could be the next evening.

I would love for the mail to be in an outbox that syncs over my O365 account to my laptop, but that doesn't seem to be how Outlook is deisgned.

Is there a solution out there that would create a (let's say) "Pending to Send" folder that would sync across my desktop and laptop computer and then when I turn on my laptop computer the next work day it would process the "Pending to Send" folder.

Basically -- Mail goes to the "Pending to Send" folder. Once there, if it is a "send now" it goes to the Outbox immediately. If not, it sits there until the time the delayed delivery comes and then sends it to the outbox? Does this make sense?

Macros could do that - or save a draft and use a macro to look for drafts to send.
The macro could be tweaked to watch another folder

Do you have a business account or outlook.com? If you work online (only possible with business accounts), the mail is stored on the server and will send at the appointed time.

Status
Not open for further replies.