How to add a folder shortcut to outlook quick access toolbar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Hi Diane,
I've been using your code for folder shortcuts on the quick access toolbar for a long time and very happy with it.
However I sometimes experience a problem where some shortcuts fail to work and a restart of Outlook is required.
When this problem occurs some of the shortcuts continue to work while others don't work until the restart.
After the restart the failed shortcut is fine until maybe hours or days the problem occurs again. Its so random I can't pin done what could be causing the problem
The only thing I can think of is possibly a network delay or lag that prevents data (folder path) being retrieved in time.
Do you have any ideas what couyld cause this problem or how I could resolve it?
Is the a way I could change the code in the function to wait for the server to respond or re-query the server if the error occurs?

If I haven't included enough info please let me know.
Thanks
Geoff

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.08.06_08h47m28s_018_.png

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.08.06_08h47m43s_019_.png

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.08.06_08h48m05s_020_.png

The only thing I can think of is possibly a network delay or lag that prevents data (folder path) being retrieved in time.
It's possible that is the issue. Is that a shared mailbox and are you caching shared folders?

It's possible that is the issue. Is that a shared mailbox and are you caching shared folders?
Hi Diane, Thank you for your reply.

Yes it is a shared mailbox and yes I think the folders are being cached although I get lost in that area.
Should the folders not be cached? What is the affect if the folders are not cached?
If the folders are cached is it faster response but the data is updated in the background?
If the folders are not cached does that cause slower response but less errors?

Thanks
Geoff

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.08.07_00h09m40s_003_.png

that shows it is cached. Cached is generally better - and with it cached, it should work. I wonder... if the problem is because the shared mailboxes don't have their own data file so getfolderpath may not always work as expected.... (i use getshareddefaultfolder -
Working with VBA and non-default Outlook Folders )
2020-08-06_15-36-23.png

Hi Diane, Thank you for your reply.

I've added this code under Sub open_staff_Geoff_Geoff2_New_method() but I don't think its quite right as it doesn't work although there are no error messages at this stage.
I need a little more guidance with how the code should look.
The link in your above post seems to refer to a calendar but I'm trying to open an email folder.

Thanks
Geoff

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.08.07_21h22m28s_001_.png

my code sample will work with any folder - hcange the folder to olfolderinbox for inbox. but if your code works (most of the time), use it.

In the shared mailbox method, uncomment the message box line - does it come up?
Also Recipient will be the mailbox name - then you need to 'walk' down to the subfolder. You need to limit the number of dots in a line - so you can repeat it to step down tothe folder you want.
objolapp = objolapp.folders("staff").folders("geoff")
objolapp = objolapp.folders("geoff2")

Thank you for sharing this information. This may be useful to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Can't add custom field to custom Outlook form, it always adds to the Folder instead Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
G Add to Outlook Contacts - Point to non-default contacts folder Using Outlook 0
P Add, remove, & reorder folder pane Using Outlook 6
B When working on emails in a certain folder, when I hit reply or reply all, I would like it re always reply all and add an email address to send to Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
T Add 'Move to folder' icon to custom form Using Outlook 1
C problem of add replicate of ex2k public folder to ex07 Exchange Server Administration 4
M How to Create Macro in Visual Basic to add Contacts from Personal Folder Using Outlook 4
C How do I change the default "Add to Outlook Contacts" Folder Using Outlook 6
M How to add a message to a mapi view folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Outlook add-in: How to find localized name of the "Junk e-mail"folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 15
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Outlook 2021 Add Picture to Custom Contact Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P VBA to add email address to Outlook 365 rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook 2019 Custom outlook Add-in using Visual Studio Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
G automatically choosing "add to autocorrect" option Using Outlook 0
F Want to add second email to Outlook for business use Using Outlook 4
K Add an entry to a specific calendar Using Outlook 1
F Add a category before "Send an Email When You Add an Appointment to Your Calendar" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
J Want to create a button on the nav bar (module add-in) to run code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M "Attachment Detacher for Outlook" add in, does it update the server copy of the email? Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 365 Add keywords from Listbox to the message body where cursor is placed Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
O Add Day Number of the year for 2023-2033 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
J GoDaddy migrated to Office365 - Outlook Wont Add Account Exchange Server Administration 21
F Outlook 2019 Outlook 2019 Add and Sync to New computer Comcast server Using Outlook 2
Witzker Add a text line at the end of the note field in all selected Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
A iCloud Outlook Add In is causing Outlook 2021 to crash and got disabled Using Outlook 10
N How to add or delete items to Move dropdown Menu Using Outlook 0
G Add contacts birthday to calendar Using Outlook 4
V How to add 'Previous Item' and 'Next Item' to the Quick Access Toolbar Using Outlook 1
Commodore Safe way to add or update holidays; Windows Notifications issue Using Outlook 8
kkqq1122 How would I add Search for attachment name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
L did MS ever add way to text via Outlook Using Outlook 5
P How to add a column named categories when searching in Outlook Using Outlook 0
M add new attendee to existing meetings with VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
N Can't create NEW GROUP and add/remove a member from existing Group in Outlook Using Outlook 1
Witzker Outlook 2019 Pls. add a Prefix for OUTLOOK 2019 here Using Outlook 1
P Add inanimate objects to meetings? Using Outlook 1
O Outlook 2010 Add delete button to the side of the message list Using Outlook 1
BartH Add a string to the conditions in .Conditions.BodyOrSubject.Text Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A "Get Add-Ins" - Which Version of Outlook to use Using Outlook 1
D Do I need Exchange Add-In? Using Outlook 6
C-S-R Manage Add-ins (Remove Wunderlist) Using Outlook 6
A iCloud add in problems Using Outlook 4
L Macro to add Date & Time etc to "drag to save" e-mails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 17
C Looking for feedback on new Outlook Add-in Using Outlook 0
L isn't there an OL add-on that flags addressee before sending Using Outlook 3
S Add VBA save code Using Outlook 0
P Shortcut Pane - add shortcut to Office365 group mailbox Using Outlook 1
Z Add ComboBox Value to Body of Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Automatically add senders first name to a greeting Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1